[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

downsampling problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1491442253019.jpg (342KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1491442253019.jpg
342KB, 900x1200px
Okay, this is a question for the audiophiles/musicians out there; I thought /diy/ would yield better troubleshooting results than /mu/.

I have a master album that I'm preparing to downsample for a CD version. I'm going from 96khz/24bit to 44.1khz/16bit, and I'm changing the file type from .wav to .aiff.

I've downsampled using itunes and audacity, and in both cases, the resulting files are at different max decibel levels than their masters. For example, all my master tracks are at -0.6db but the converted tracks can get to -0.2db or even clip at 0.0db.

How do I fix this? Is it a matter of keeping the file type the same?

pic unrelated.
>>
Make your master a little bit quieter, until you get your desired db level in the downsampled versions.
>>
>>1157378
>I've downsampled using itunes and audacity, and in both cases, the resulting files are at different max decibel levels than their masters. For example, all my master tracks are at -0.6db but the converted tracks can get to -0.2db or even clip at 0.0db.
No, your original file is not at -.6dB; the loudest sample is. Peaks can occur between samples. That's why all good peak meters oversample.
>>
>>1157378
ffmpeg -i input.wav -af aresample=resampler=soxr -ar 44100 output.aiff

The default resampler in both audacity and ffmpeg sucks ass.
>>
>>1157517
>ffmpeg -i input.wav -af aresample=resampler=soxr -ar 44100 output.aiff
I'm sorry, but where do I put this code in?
>>
>>1158593

it's a command line program for Linux (mostly).

get it at https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
select the windows version.
pretend you're in the movie War Games (1983), see how long you can resist typing "global thermonuclear war" into the command prompt.
>>
>>1158595
Im on a mac
>>
>>1158595
okay so I got a folder with a bunch of .c files and I tried to run the "configure" file in Terminal but it says compilar test failed.
>>
dont go messing with .c files, dude. you want a pre-compiled executable, like you can get at https://evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/

this gives you DMG files, which, as far as i know, are like windows installers.
>>
>>1158605
okay so it says there's an illegal instruction, logout and [process completed]

it's probably obvious by now but I'm terrible at programming.
>>
>>1158605
Not all .dmg files are installers. This one is just the binary in a folder. And I keep getting illegal instruction from it too, maybe its broken or nonstandard.

>>1158606
Try the download from here: www.ffmpegmac.net
Then you can run in terminal something like ~/Downloads/Lion_Mountain_Lion_Mavericks_Yosemite_El-Captain_08/ffmpeg -i input.wav -af aresample=resampler=soxr -ar 44100 output.aiff to get the results the other anon suggested. Not that I know what that does.
>>
>>1158615
I hAve 10.5.8 and the download for that version isn't working
>>
>>1158602
it should just werk then?
try on a real computer i guess
>>
>>1158808
Okay, so it turns out it WAS working. I get "process complete" with no errors, but after that I'm stuck. Putting the first line of code in ("ffmpeg -I input...") yields "command not found" for ffmpeg.
>>
>>1158816
You don't have ffmpeg installed and I don't have the skills to talk you through compiling and installing it conventionally. Download http://www.ffmpegmac.net/resources/SnowLeopard_Lion_Mountain_Lion_Mavericks_Yosemite_El-Captain_29.09.2015.zip to get a version that should work completely with OS 10.5. Now every time you want to run a command that starts with ffmpeg, substitute it with ~/Downloads/SnowLeopard_Lion_Mountain_Lion_Mavericks_Yosemite_El-Captain_29/ffmpeg . You can also drag files from the Finder into Terminal, which is helpful for longer paths or if you have spaces in the filename. You might have to do this when you substitute your actual files for input.wav and output.aiff. In your case input.wav may be somewhere like ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/Anon/Pallets/Crab\ Meat.wav Where Anon is the artist name, Pallets is the Album, and Crab Meat is the track. Similarly output.aiff should be something like ~/Documents/Anon/Pallets/Crab\ Meat.aiff

So for example:
ffmpeg -i input.wav -af aresample=resampler=soxr -ar 44100 output.aiff

becomes

~/Downloads/SnowLeopard_Lion_Mountain_Lion_Mavericks_Yosemite_El-Captain_29/ffmpeg -i ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/Anon/Pallets/Crab\ Meat.wav -af aresample=resampler=soxr -ar 44100 ~/Documents/Anon/Pallets/Crab\ Meat.aiff.

It sounds like the path for ffmpeg will work if you jut download the new link, or copy and paste from my last post. But you need to figure out for yourself the correct input and output files.
>>
>>1158852
Damn, I feel bad for making you type all that out now, hahaha.

I just ended up modifying the resampled versions to my taste; thankfully my project isn't gapless.

Note to self: don't bother recording in 96k again.

I might still use this info some day, I just wish there was something SIMPLE to use, like a FLACer-esque app only with sampling rates instead of FLAC format.

I loathe coding, always have and always will. For something purportedly so logical and therefore in theory easy to troubleshoot, there's always a headache to be had for the most basic of tasks. Its like," so, you want to make this lightbulb blink? Well just make sure your brackets are so ans so formatted- didn't work? oh, why of course, you're missing the flimmity-flam library, what are you stupid? go download the flimmity flam then put in derpity-derp command- wait, you need to make sure the zippity-bippity-dippity-fuck is up to date... "
ugh.
>>
>>1158867
>I just wish there was something SIMPLE to use...
Theres a program called ffmpegX that has a nice enough GUI and can change sample rates. But it hasn't been updated in years (less of a problem if you're still on 10.5), and will derp out inexplicably if you pick two codecs that don't play nicely with each other (exactly the kind of issue you're taking about...).

I agree that theres real issues getting these power user level utilities installed. Especially with older Mac OS versions, it seems like sometimes you're the only person on the planet ever to install this app with those bug fixes using the compiler that works on your OS revision. Then none of the devs have any idea whats wrong, but though some voodoo, six months later unrelated updates make it work.

Or you have a problem with software from a bigger community, and the only answer anyone will give you is that IF you knew what you were doing THEN you'd know that its something basic you should ask about somewhere else. Great, are you going to tell me what topic to ask about where? No. Ok, so how about the real solution that you claim to understand? Nope, can't talk about that here. Well fuck, why are you on a help forum if you're emotionally incapable of explaining things.

This is why I don't mind trying out and introduction on using Terminal when your original question was transcoding audio.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.