[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this reparable with a soldering iron?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20170406_131914.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170406_131914.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
This is the base of my laptops charger. The actual bit that connects the male end to the power cord.

I've never done any kind of repair before myself so I'm not a good judge of what should be done.

Would I be able to fix this with a soldering iron? Do I need additional material?
>>
>>1157106
Probably buy a new plug, cut back the wire to get rid of anything damaged. Solder on new plug.
Hardest part is finding a spare matching plug, some laptop supplies have 3 pins in there so the computer can 'talk' to the charger, if so you need one to match.
A multimeter might be useful to check which wire goes where on the old plug once you cut it off, and to check it works before you fry your laptop with out
>>
File: sencor-koncovka-zastrcka-detail.jpg (23KB, 266x300px) Image search: [Google]
sencor-koncovka-zastrcka-detail.jpg
23KB, 266x300px
>>1157106
thats the end that goes in the wall? cut it off and screw new one on
>>
if that's a mains plug that's removable then try to find a replacement cord but if it's hardwired you can desolder another grounded cord from something and solder it into your charger
just make sure that there isn't an opportunity for it to arc inside of the charger
>>
>>1157109
>Probably buy a new plug, cut back the wire to get rid of anything damaged. Solder on new plug.

this
& definitely check with a multi meter to make sure which one goes where, mostly important for the ground

>>1157106
take a pic of the actual plug too what kind is it?
>>
>>1157106

just wrap it in electrical tape, tightly. then a layer of duct tape, or not. I'd just use electrical tape

>i'm an electrician
>>
>>1157167
not surprising
this is why so much electrical stuff is fucking garbage
>>
Get a new plug and rewire. Middle is ground, conductor with lines molded in the insulator is N.
>>
>>1157167
>wires clearly broken
>'just tape it'
Where are you an electrician? Africa?
>>
>>1157125
>>1157109
How would you check with a mulimeter? Where do the prongs go?
>>
>>1157236
turn multimeter to sound or resistance where it beeps if it connects the two red & black ones

touch the ground output with either end of multimeter

touch each of the 3 wires that are breaking, see which one connects to it mark that wire as green or whatever

repeat for the other two
mark them as black & white

then you know which one is which
>>
>>1157106
I currently have some epoxy so if I were to go about it I would make a tape rim and just fill it in with epoxy. Make it a little girthy so that section holds rigid
>>
File: plug.jpg (17KB, 399x400px) Image search: [Google]
plug.jpg
17KB, 399x400px
Cut off the wire before the damaged section, go to the hardware store and buy a new plug for less than $5, pic related. No soldering required, just a screwdriver and something to strip the wires (a knife will do)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OfdIfX-PwI
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.