[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making your own car exhaust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I know this is more of an /o/ question, but I figured you guys might have some insight.

My exhaust on my car is getting kind of ratty, and I want to make my own replacement (inb4 fart cannon; I won't do that). It's originally a 2" pipe, but I was thinking about bumping it up to 3" so it could maybe breathe a little better and get better gas mileage. I'll get a stock manifold replacement, but I think a universal cat and muffler will work just fine on the 3" pipe. Has anyone here ever done this, and what do you have to take into consideration? Not my car but same make/model.
>>
>>1156713

When you're cutting it off, avoid sensor lines or anything like that. Make sure it isn't going to drag. Make sure it isn't going to touch anything that it shouldn't. Don't set yourself on fire with any nonsense around the fuel line.

Pretty obvious and simple stuff. You won't see much performance gain on an engine from 3 inch unless you're pumping a lot of air ie. 450+ hp. See the engine masters episode on it. Although there's not much point in not going 3 inch.

Strait pipe it pussy.
>>
>>1156713
Flowmaster makes pipes for those things that are less expensive than buying shit from Napa or wherever you'd buy new pipes. Used to have benders and shit for making exhaust at my work, but stopped doing it because the pre-made pipes got cheap enough thay making them is a waste of time. However, the pre-made ones are shit quality, and sometimes (a lot of times) the flanges and shit are welded on wrong. The flowmaster ones would be better quality, too.
>>
>>1156713
Search some exhaust threads on crownvic.net and pantherbb.com. I've heard that the 16v 4.6 needs some back pressure to run properly with the factory tune, so increasing the diameter of the exhaust may decrease performance. If you just want to fix your exhaust, cut out the bad sections and put in new pipe using U-bolts. If you don't have to pass inspection do the same with the resonators and mufflers to make your land barge sound like a bro dozer.
>>
cars are tuned for a certain exhaust system based on back pressure, so if you just start changing things you might find it running lean.
>>
>>1156720
Straight piping a Grand Marquis is retarded
>>
>>1156713
>but I was thinking about bumping it up to 3" so it could maybe breathe a little better and get better gas mileage

Doesnt work that way, the O2 sensors will recognize it and act accordingly
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.