[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodwork - How to Order

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 8322.jpg (23KB, 475x258px) Image search: [Google]
8322.jpg
23KB, 475x258px
How do I order wood from a timber yard?

I know what SAWN and PAR mean, I know you measure timber in 3 dimensions. Its just when I go to the website of my local 'yard, there are all these categories I haven't a clue about. Scaffold board? Strength graded timber? Carcassing? Treated?

I just want to a stock of wood to make things. A garden bench. A work table. A bed frame.
>>
It would help if I posted the site in question, right?
http://www.jewson.co.uk/timber/
>>
>>1156704
"Scaffold board" is specially rated and graded stuff, specifically for the construction of scaffoldings. There are a whole host of specific standards for that, stay away from it unless that is what you are building.

ifaik 'carcassing' is just another way to say framing. General wood thing made of wood.

"strength graded timber" is for a specific purpose, usually meeting some engineering specification that you would know if you needed.

"Treated" is just means something has been done to the wood, usually pressure-cooking it in a preservative / pesticide. Important for outdoor uses. Sometimes there are options like fireproofing treatment.

CLS seems to be the term they are using for general cheap wood. midding to low quality soft wood of fast-growing pine. The boards for the work-bench in the garage or the shelves in the attic. Going up a level would be what they offer as planed square-edge timber. This would probably be the nicer wood that you wouldn't mind someone seeing inside your home, nicer boards for the shelves of a bookcase, that kind of thing.

Making sense?
>>
>>1156711
Aye, thats brilliant. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>1156704
CLS is cheap stuff good enough for basic learning, rather large though. In the UK it tends to be spruce not pine but that's fine. Might find it cheaper in b&q when they have too much in stock. Better to choose by fans because they can have giant knots.

When you decide to do something nice go browse the real lumber yards I your area, small companies, not Jewson.
>>
>>1156704

Never order wood unless you are buying an absolute metric shitload. Go to the store and pick it out yourself. People sort their own and leave the junk pieces which the store has to do something with, which is where people who order and have it delivered come in.

If they won't let you pick your pieces go to another place. The last thing you need is a pile of picked through crooked lumber that's full of knots. If you're making something decorative you should always go to the lumber yard and pick it out yourself anyways so you can make sure that the grain pattern fits with whatever it is you're making.
>>
>>1156707
Dont order if you can transport it yourself, they will ship any old shit from the yard
>>
>>1156711

>"Scaffold board"

Dunno about the UK, but here in the Netherlands the fashion of using old scaffold board in furniture got so big they started calling all untreated spruce boards "scaffold board" to get in on it.
>>
>>1156707

They seem to be very specialized in construction wood. No Western Red Cedar, no Douglas/larch, no hardwoods no nothing.

The treated wood is theoretically suitable for outdoors, but the chemicals in it are quite harsh so poorly suited for furniture.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.