[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grounding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: electrode.jpg (21KB, 300x378px) Image search: [Google]
electrode.jpg
21KB, 300x378px
Hello /diy/
I wanted to know if it's possible to hook up my power strip or single outlet directly to a grounding rod, if yes how should I go on about it?
>>
File: 1483183311843.jpg (106KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483183311843.jpg
106KB, 577x1024px
>>1156492
is it possible sure.
>>
>>1156492
Just hook the grounding rod to any of the the ground wire/plug holes. You could also use the neutral wire, usually white, or the wider slot on an outlet. Both ground and neutral are the same thing, except when using GFCI breakers which need them hooked up correctly in order to detect a fault.
>>
>>1156505
>Both ground and neutral are the same thing
no they're not. you only want one ground-neutral bond at the first means of disconnect otherwise the ground becomes a current carrying conductor like the neutral.
>>
File: aarding.png (1MB, 982x766px) Image search: [Google]
aarding.png
1MB, 982x766px
>>1156492
You should do it using the right clamps.

Check with a store that sells electrical supplies and they could tell you what you need exactly.
All my grounding is with pic related, easy work.
>>
>>1156492
No. There's going to be like 40k ohms between your ground and neutral/what your ground should be. If there was a fault to ground 40k ohm wouldn't be enough to trip or even make anything warm. Then you'll go to touch it and get a nice buzz.
>>
Op here,
Found a guy close buy raising cattle, he had to ground an individual outlet for his boiler, he used a 8' copper rod nailed into a hole filled with rocksalt, he attached an 8 gauge to it with a nut clamp. How would I attach the 8 gauge to my outlet, would this work?
>>
>>1156602
Looks great, but a little overkill for a single outlet, when I'm building my home in July I will shirltty want something like this.
>>
>>1156514
yea they are
>>
>>1156616
Jesus Christ. When you build your new home you're Going to use 12/2+ground like every residential installation for twenty years.all of your outlets will have a ground wire back to your main panel, and your main panel will have a primary ground electrode bonded to your neutral tap.

In order for ops shit to be right, he'd have to run #6 from his existing primary ground to the secondary one.
>>
>>1156505
this is a horrible post
>>
>>1156649
>ground loops aren't a thing
have fun replacing all of your equipment when a transient surge happens
>>
>>1156514

i went to a camp ground once and the dumb shits did something along those lines in the shower house. the shower would shock you and so would the sinks.

a guy i worked with went overseas recently as a civilian contractor electrician to fix showers that were electrocuting folks. it's pretty hard getting good grounding going in dry ass sand. i forget what they buried and bonded to but his stories were all crazy nightmares.
>>
>>1156602
>Conductor sticking out of the end of the bar

Absolutely disgusting. Cut your shit to length you turbonigger.
>>
>>1156505
>>1156649
No, they are not. You *CAN* get shocked from the neutral. The fact that you haven't yet just means you are lucky.
>>
>>1156492
sure, you are describing a TT installation, meaning the earth (ground) at both distributor and premises comes from earth (terra - T)
as long as the earth rod is a suitable material, installed and tested as per your local regulations then there is no problem.
you will need some equipment or a qualified electrician to test the installation, soil has a resistance and so there will be a measurable voltage across the soil surrounding the rod during a fault condition. testing ensures the resistance is low enough both for safety devices in your installation to operate and so as not to cause any harm to e.g. someone walking past providing a path of least resistance through their stride.

>>1156505
>american detected
please stop using electricity you don't know what you are doing.

>>1156611
>would this work?
how long is a piece of string anon. does your friend's installation work? perhaps it works as a placebo but does it offer a sufficient path to ground that will allow protective devices to operate under a fault condition? how do you know has he tested it?
it's impossible to say without testing because it may not be properly connected, the wire gauge might not be sufficient for the load, we don't know the soil condition, how deep was it buried, what do your local regulations say as to the dimensions of the rod etc etc etc.

the only purpose of installing a ground is to allow protective devices to operate. that is it. unless you happen to have a fault you won't know if the ground is 'working' or not unless you test it with the proper equipment. it's not like wiring a 2 prong socket where if you can plug something in and it runs and your house hasn't burned down in a few weeks you can say yeah ok i did that right. you won't know if you got it wrong because you will be too busy being dead.

if its a boiler sometimes you can use a buried service metal pipe e.g. if your water or gas pipe comes from the ground you can use that. depends where you live and needs tested!
>>
>>1156611
well a friend of mine made his own car seatbelt using an extension cord to tie himself to the seat.
thinking of doing the same, would it work?
>>
>>1158441
you don't cut them to length dingus, you let extra ground wire stick out for ease of visual inspection.
>>
>>1156730
>2017
>not laying a counterpoise on your residence
enjoy your floating neutral fag
>>
I have plenty of 3-4ft ground rods I can send you.
>>
Wouldn't you need to bond all the grounds together?
>>
Hentai
>>
>>1159616
Yes. People keep forgetting this. In most residential applications, your ground is bonded to neutral at your meter, and at the transformer, and at the pole.

You can't just stick a rod in the ground and expect it to work. You need a megger and an array of rods, and even then you still run separate grounds to your appliances.
>>
>>1158564
u mad bro

>>1158564
This. Also less chance of getting loose.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.