[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fire Truck Srayer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 1491168833908.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491168833908.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
For the life of me cannot remember or find the name of what is essentially fire truck water spraying turrets.

They are like $5000 and i assume because of the high pressure and quality castings needed.

A buddy working on a volenteer rig refuses to let the idea of building one go. So i descided to help.

Now, i know how much pressure these guys use and i know this is dangerous if something happens. I have explained to him that we both know this. And i will be knowhere near that fucker when its on.

Im hoping he will settle for some hydralic cylinders or actuators. But he has some old wheelchair motors that are low geared and very rugged.

I have used the sabertooth dual chanel 60 amp in other projects. If my math is correct he could underpower up to 6 motors and not have heating issues.

I had good luck with a battlebot of sorts until it just died without warning.

Any ideas or advice? Hopefully he means to operate this from inside the cab and doesnt take a firehose to the face. I fear there is no talking him out of this and there isnt much money for safety. But we know quality welders and could possibly build break aways and chain it down. Honestly not even sure where to start.

Its likey helding to a nosel is bad but we may have some old ones we can fasten or bolt cages around to keeo them from coming loose. A hose would suck but i imagine it would have less pressure and do less damage than a 20 pound brass nosel.

NB4 all the leaks. Yeah i know. Ive considered peicing one together but used ones are heavy and rare.

Pic related.

Me after it blows off the truck and breaks shit mid pasture fire...
>>
>>1155984
A monitor?
>>
>>1155987
After re reading your post I know you're talking about a monitor. Aka deluge or deck gun.

There's nothing terribly complicated about them and they don't use very high PSI, normally in the 100-150 range, rather they are used to move lots of water through GPM.

The general rule is that lower psi will move more GPMs and GPMs is what you want to fight a fire.

http://www.firefightermath.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=45

This should help you figure it.

I believe all joints for fire hose are tested to only 500 PSI.
>>
>>1155987
Maybe. I will likely mount it on the front with a splitter. That way if my cobled together fucking bootleg sprayer comes apart they can kick the oto off and grab a hose. This will likely go on a backuo grass rig or 2 assuming i dont get anyone killed. We just fought record fires for a few weeks. The guys were tired but they seemed to have plenty of equipment. Im sure i will run a pressure guage to the cab.
>>
>>1156002
Good to know. Thanks. I have buddy's that work in the oil field. I may be ably to mount the deck gun using frac fittings. Im sure those are rated for 500 or more.
>>
File: IMG_5648.jpg (308KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5648.jpg
308KB, 1280x720px
>>1156003
>>1156004
What kind of fires are you wanting to fight with this?

If it's a structure you're better off using hoses and learning tactics.

If it's a grass fire you can get away with what you want to do.
>>
>>1156075
99% pasture fires. Unless its a fluke or just happen to be bear a flaming hoise i guess.
>>
>>1156086
Near flaming house. Fuck. Sry. Feeing myself my 1 sandwich at the spead of sound cause im a fat fuck fat thumbed it.
>>
>>1156087
>>1156086
We run a skeeter like what's in the pic, but the turret is remote controlled inside the cab.

I would look into what you see on the bottom which are called sweeps. They are a lot smaller but easier to make. Just turn them on and drive slowly by the fire.
>>
>>1156087
And i cant spell for dick...
>>
>>1156089
I was thinking of this. Even a fold out spray bar 10 feet from the truck shoukd work. I dont beleive they have these.
>>
>>1156138
I'll post pics of the sweeps for you and maybe you can get an idea of the design.

Also that op pic looks like my battalion chief.
>>
File: IMG_5650.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5650.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1156145
>>
File: IMG_5651.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5651.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1156186
>>
File: IMG_5652.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5652.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1156187
>>
>>1156145
>Also that op pic looks like my battalion chief.
Gulfport Seabee?
>>
Also called a master stream
>>
>>1156189
That'd be pretty easy to make in a machine shop
>>
>>1156145
Could be. Was a google pic. Generaly we run 70s and 80s model military shit for pasture fires.

Easy to work on and most of the guys are spare time hotrodders and hillbillies. Fuck, i have thrown a chain on a broken down rig with an external sprayer and drug it through a pasture.
>>
>>1156285
Mfw machine shop bro 1 block away. Will buy one to mimic. Thank you.
>>
>>1156451
We had one but it was shitty, we bought a skid unit for the back and the piped som monitors on it ourselves. Worked great but like I said the truck was a piece of shit.
>>
>>1156543
Well, their equipment is all donated. Begged borrowed or sucked for. Hence my building this. I at least want my shit to work prooerly and affordably
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.