[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets say you want to make a copper half circle, 4' in diameter.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: cut_loop_600.jpg (130KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
cut_loop_600.jpg
130KB, 600x399px
Lets say you want to make a copper half circle, 4' in diameter. You've working with 1/2" copper tubing.

Short of paying somebody with a roller, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to do it without creating creases in the pipe. Filling it with sand seems to help, but getting the smooth curve is proving difficult.
>>
For the record, that picture is of soft copper tubing, which comes pre-rolled (and not in diameters of what I'm trying to get unfortunately), I'm working with straight 1/2" tubing, like you'd use in standard plumbing fixtures.
>>
I have heard of people ramming them full of sand.

You have annealed them right?
>>
>>1155777
>annealed
I've not, is that something I can handle with a small handheld torch, or would it require something with more power?
>>
>>1155779
You can do it with a propane torch, but it'll take a while. I'd do it in a dark-ish garage, get the end hot enough to glow reddish orange, then chase that color up all 12+ feet of pipe that you're using. Quench or not, up to you. I wouldn't bother. You'll have to do something after to make it pretty again like sandpaper or steel wool.
>>
>>1155774
Try table salt rammed in it i hear?
>>
>>1155797
>propane

>not mapp
>not acetylene
>not doing it right the first time

Autists who do that shit keep my paychecks rolling in. Anon, heat it up like other guy said, but for the love of god you are a tool if you waste your time with propane.
>>
>>1155904
>people achieving successful results whilst using the wrong equipment somehow keep my paychecks coming in
Faggot please
>>
>>1155904
>Autists who do that shit keep my paychecks rolling in

why would a guy bending a copper tube into a half circle ever pay you to do it?
>>
>>1155774
Fill with water and freeze it. It's how they make brass instruments
>>
File: 4.jpg (111KB, 1523x568px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
111KB, 1523x568px
>>1156571
Will do!
>>
>>1155904
>tfw using propane torches for everything from sweating pipe, to annealing copper tubing, to melting lead, aluminum, & zinc for metalcasting.

I have a few MOTs and I'd like to set some up for similar jobs.
>>
when you make likker and you need to make a worm you just wrap that sumbitch around a jug
>>
>>1156571
>>1156583
I thought they use wax.
>>
File: tumblr_oi51w67VW11v1z098o1_500.gif (468KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oi51w67VW11v1z098o1_500.gif
468KB, 500x350px
>>1155904
>2016+1
>still ignorant to the clean-burning majesty of propane
>>
You can get this long, tight metal spring like thing that goes inside the pipe as you bend it. Google says they're called 'Pipe bending springs'. With that inside, you could use some kind of template, a wheel or something, to maintain a constant bend.
I've never bent pipe myself but I've seen one that had been bent freehand with the bending spring and it come out serving its purpose. Wouldn't take too long to get a usable piece.
>>
>>1155904

>mapp

>methylacetylene-propadiene propane

>propane

Acetylene is fucking expensive and way hotter than necessary you mongoloid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w00FzhU8PVE
>>
>>1156672
Was the bend pretty even?
>>
>>1155774
How many are you going to make?
The best method is to build your own bending jig using some plywood (1/2") with a couple larger pieces cut so they extend 1/2" further out. Make a D shape sandwich with a center radius of 2' (probably a bit smaller). Then make an arm, fit another smaller block or roller that just rides outside the pipe. Secure the pipe at one end and bring the arm around so it bends the pipe to your form. The reason the radius would be smaller is the pipe will spring back some. It will take a while to get it right but in the end you can make several on the same form.
For ref take a look at how they bend muffler pipe. You are building a much weaker jig but then again you are bending copper.
>>
>>1156727
this is the idea.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZoEd8iNjk But instead of using a center pulley you use a plywood form.
>>
>>1156648
You might be right. Been a very long time since I've looked into it
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.