[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding machine trips breaker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I've got this old welding machine that started tripping the breakers if I try to switch it on, after it overheated one time. It supposedly has a thermal shutdown switch, but that one might have failed due to the whole thing being a cheap POS, it's basically just a large transformer in a box, no capacitors or circuit boards of any type. Also it's rated for 5% duty cycle at 135 amps. Breakers are B type so fairly fast for this type of welding machine. Thing is it basically never tripped the breakers before that one overheat shutdown. It still turns on fine if I don't connect mass to anything. So- what's the likely cause of this; or rather, is there any chance it might be something else than a short circuit in one of the windings from thermal damage?
>>
>>1155696
My cheap stick welder is also mostly a transformer in a box. Mine calls for a 110v 20 amp service. Have you checked what the amperage is the breaker rated for? I believe 20 amp is the minimum for any welder.
>>
They're for 16 amps. B type so rated to trip at 3-5x rated current. Used to work fine. 230 V mains so I guess they're equivalent to 32 amps in a 110 V system?
>>
>>1155711
>Used to work fine.
If you had no problem welding in the past, then maybe the breaker is worn out. Breakers do wear out in time.
>>
Winding in the primary could have melted when it overheated and are shorting out now. Would have to ohm test to be sure.
>>
>>1155717
Second this go grab a $12 replacement breaker and put it in and see if it works better. They sometimes just get trippy after a while.
>>
>>1155717
more likely the welder is a cheap piece of shit and it self welded itself out of shame
>>
>>1155696
>mass connection trips breaker
Your primary and secondary winding insulation might be compromised. Grab live phase tester and try testing mass.
Are you sure it's breaker and not combined breaker with leak current protection?
>>
Nah it's just a regular breaker. And today it seems to work again. Wtf. It's a bit colder than yesterday, apart from that nothing changed but the breaker doesn't trip anymore. Idk
>>
>>1155696
does it trip the breaker regardless of what its set at? turn it way down and see if it trips when you strike in. 135A will trip a normal breaker usually
>>
>>1155696
5% duty cycle is 30 seconds.
>>
>>1155696
>is there any chance it might be something else than a short circuit in one of the windings from thermal damage?
Bingo. Ohmmeter will tell you.
>>
Replace the breaker with a nickle. It only costs $0.05 :^)
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.