[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nuclear Reactors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

File: Homogeneous_reactor_cut_away.jpg (31KB, 440x456px) Image search: [Google]
Homogeneous_reactor_cut_away.jpg
31KB, 440x456px
Anyone on here built a low scale nuclear reactor before? Tips on safety and stories would be appreciated.
>>
>>1155646
Rip op.
>>
>>1155646
Nahhh.. Thats so 1950s. I built a cold plasma reactor instead.
>>
>>1155646
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn
>>
>>1155663
Yeah I've seen that as well as the Taylor Wilson thing. Pretty fascinating. As far as I know though, what they built wasn't really novel or anything. They just built a low scale version of a mainstream fission reactor (which I'm not doing).
>>
There was a kid in the 90's that was removing the uranium out of smoke detectors. Lol, poor bastard got radiation poisoning. lol I think he may still be in jail for that to.
I think he was from Michigan
>>
>>1155663
>>1155670
I guess I should have clicked on the wiki link.
>>
>>1155646
reported to FBI, IAEA, KGB, NASA, Gestapo, LAPD, etc
>>
>>1155685
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
>>
>>1155646
plenty of people have build fusors for science fairs or basement projects and call them nuclear reactors. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor

it uses heavy water, theyre relatively simple. and relatively safe

real nuclear fission is not something u want to do tho
>>
>>1155710
forgot to say that a number of people have reached real fusion, none afaik have actually had a positive output of energy
>>
I was a reactor operator in the Navy, so I'm speaking from experience.

The liberal media wants you to believe that "shielding" and "neutron moderators" are important. It's a lie. You don't need that shit. It's unnecessary weight and it's going to hold back your top speed.

Scram systems are just suggested, but not necessary. You can manually insert your control rods if you go supercritical too fast.

Air is one of the best coolants. A liberal amount in your piping will do wonders for your output, plus it allows for expansion of your water coolant rhythm things get too hot.

I'm here for all the advice you can need, OP. Not just because we're on here together, but because we're friends. And I love you.
>>
>Tips on safety
Why would you do this without understanding the safety aspect of such a thing backwards and forwards?
>>
>>1155646
I'd expect the ROI to be negative for the smallest possible fission plant. Consider photovoltaics.
>>
>>1155745
Yeah I'm currently just building a prototype which I doubt will produce much heat. If it does actually produce heat though, I will upscale significantly.
>>
>>1155744
I haven't started lol. I've just designed the stuff and size etc so far. I want to get tips on safety before I actually start dealing with nuclear material.
>>
>>1155737
Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can get air piped into the return pipe from the turbine.
>>
>>1155770
this is a dumb thing youre doing
>>
>>1155772
Is it tho?
>>
>>1155737

you are a bad person, you know that - right ?
>>
>>1155646
what country are you in because this is probably illegal
>>
>>1155766
I think you're going about this ass-backwards, dude. Learn some shit before you design the shit. Also, ALARA.
>>
>>1155670
I heard he died
>>
OP is a fag
>>
File: chicagopile1.jpg (961KB, 3200x1426px) Image search: [Google]
chicagopile1.jpg
961KB, 3200x1426px
>>1155646
You can build a fusor, and that's about it. Fission power is totally out of reach of the amateur. You need a fuck load of uranium if you can't enrich it. Pic related is Chicago pile-1, it required TONS of uranium. Good luck buying that much uranium.

David Hahn's "reactor," did not carry out fission and in fact the radioactivity was just due to stuff decaying.
>>
>>1155670

americium, not uranium...dummy
>>
Make your own heavy water and use a tungsten neutron reflector for the core. That way you only need a small amount of uranium and the rest of the pile can be thorium which is easy as shit to get.
>>
>>1156293
This. But I would like to see you attempt a thorium breeder reactor, follow your dreams!
>>
>>1155646
>thorium
>salt
>>
OP really should build a small energy cell relying on non-gamma radiation tough.

Imagine: YOUR own personal trithium photovoltaic pocket calulator, it would bring all the nerds to the yard.
>>
>>1155737
>"shielding" and "neutron moderators" are...a lie
>Scram systems are...not necessary
>Air is one of the best coolants

t. Windscale designer.
>>
>>1155737
This, and don't forget to sprinkle some enriched uranium in your food! It's what your body craves.
>>
RIP
>>
File: Fireflyreaver.jpg (19KB, 300x228px) Image search: [Google]
Fireflyreaver.jpg
19KB, 300x228px
>>1155737
>The liberal media wants you to believe that "shielding" and "neutron moderators" are important.

Reavers BTFO.
>>
I for one completely support OP and his nuclear endeavours. Godspeed OP
>>
OP here- Just to clarify, I'm attempting to build a thorium breeder reactor as some have pointed out. I'm going to seed the core with as much americium as I can collect. It's going to use Thorium Nitrate as the fertile fuel. The only logistic problem I'm having right now is how to separate the Uranium from Thorium Nitrate. I'm doing more research on it though, so yeah.
>>
>>1155685
>gestapo
/pol/lack detected
>>
>>1155902
ironic that the cause of death was alcohol poisoning
>>
>>1155737
>The liberal media wants you to believe that "shielding" and "neutron moderators" are important. It's a lie. You don't need that shit. It's unnecessary weight and it's going to hold back your top speed.
???
>>
>>1155737
t. navy personal

yup everything makes sense here, moving right along
>>
>>1156599
Am-241 is an alpha emitter dude.
>>
>>1155737
Can you really irradiate a spider and then have it bite you? What about gamma radiation? Can it generate enough to change the color of my skin and make me unstoppable?

What about radroaches/mole rats/etc? Can you make them? What about death claws?
>>
>>1158563
All good questions. The spider thing is a myth. That was from a documentary that it turned out was all a hoax. CGI and shit. The only bugs that can handle the radiation are ants. If you get bitten by a radioactive ant, you become an Ant Man. There's at least 23 running around to my knowledge. You don't actually get small, you just get super strong and have a compulsive urge to steal whole pieces of pie from people's picnics.

The skin changing colors is true, but you essentially have to be dosed a huge amount straight to the heart. It activates the melanin producing cells in the left ventricle to pump out more. You WILL turn the color of the last beverage you drank, so choose wisely. I tried this with my son after he had a glass of water, and I still can't find the little bastard.

Molerats, etc are legit. Beware.

These so called Deathclaws, though... Those assholes were doing cosplay when the radiation essentially just melted the suits to their skin. They look tough, but they're really just trying to get their picture taken with Todd Howard.
>>
>ctrl+f radscout
>phrase not found
im disappointed.
>>
>>1158628
Third post, faggot.
>>
Will there ever be a miniature nuclear reactor that has enough power to power a house (~10KW) but is small, last 20+ years.
>>
>>1158668

I'm pretty sure that Purdue University has a mini reactor that produces about enough energy a year to power a toaster for a few hours, so yes it's possible, prohibitively expensive and incredibly regulated, but possible.
>>
>>1158625
I love you
>>
>>1155646
Fission is not a homescale task. Go with fusion, I have a reactor in sights within the next 2 years, my time is currently consumed by a course I'm teaching in robotics at the local uni.
>>
>>1155646
>that pic
L-Lewd
>>
>>1155737
>You can manually insert your control rods if you go supercritical too fast.
t.chernobyl operator
>>
>>1158625
10/10

Thinking about going the antman route. I already steal pie, so the extra strength will help when they tackle me. Never again.
>>
>>1155710
>nuclear reactor
>safe
What are you smoking?
>>
>>1158934
Spotted the libtard
>>
>>1159360
Oh no I left liberalism behind years ago and actually support nuclear power, but those reactors and containment systems are built by professionals and scientists who take great safety measures, not random neets trying to build one in their basements who will inevitably give themselves radation poisoning
>>
>>1155670
They have americanium in smoke detectors, not uranium
>>
>>1159466
Soviet smoke detectors have plutonium in them. Not much, but gotta love the soviets
>>
Come on it's 2017 now. Go build a warp engine instead. You can do it.
>>
>>1159621
Whose idea was it for the space communists to have their FTL invented by an individual?
>>
>>1155685

kek, the alphabet agencies are already monitoring OP, simply because of his search history and typing in nuclear reactor into 4chan. if you are here or on 8chn, endchn, or any other chan, you are bumped up on the threat matrix.
>>
>>1159706
https://youtu.be/-a_qmUlkOxc?t=9m1s
>>
>>1159692
Well, OP is the one.
>>
>>1159729
kek, i miss that show.

but in all seriousness, look at snowden and the "terrorist" security measures implimented after 9/11. not to mention our internet privacy has been slowly chipped away since the 90's.
>>
>>1155737
>The liberal media wants you to believe that "shielding" and "neutron moderators" are important. It's a lie. You don't need that shit. It's unnecessary weight and it's going to hold back your top speed.

Clearly a boomer fag. They don't give a fuck about shielding because they want to blow the world up anyway. He put the shit about speed in there to throw you off the track. Don't listen to him. Shielding is important.

Go down to the local auto paint shop and buy one of those white Tyvek suits the painters wear. Put that on and you're good to go.
>>
>>1155663
>David Hahn.

Oh wow. I knew the story of the kid and thought it was a cute story of young American curiosity. I did not know how his life played out...
>>
>>1155737

>this is legitimately what the united States Navy teaches its nuclear operators

god I can't wait until Russia pushes your shitty country in
>>
>>1155663
Rip
>>
>>1160994

t. K-431, K-11, Chernobyl
>>
>>1155737
10/10 bait
I tip my hat to you sir
>>
>>1155685
>reported to IAEA
>not IKEA
>>
>>1155670
He was 17 at the time and i don't believe he ever served any jail time. DIY reactor projects are not illegal, plenty of people have made the "star in a jar" google it.
>>
>>1163897
>DIY reactor projects are not illegal
Yeah, if you aren't poisoning your environment, endangering other people and handling restricted materials.
Apparently he didn't get any jail time for it, but I'm pretty sure his mom wasn't exactly happy when the EPA guys came and started tearing shit up.
>>
>>1163897
>>1163907
>>1155670

He didn't go to jail for making a reactor, though he did go to jail.
He went to jail for stealing hundreds of smoke detectors
>>
>>1160013
It really is such a shame, he clearly was really into science and probably could've made a great nuclear engineer
>>
>>1158830
That's not actually Ouchi - this poor guy is missing a foot, where Ouchi had no amputations. Ouchi was leading a ton of fluids daily and there's no IV here. Also, Ouchi had a clear difference in burn severity between his front (where he was lying over the tank) and back, and this guy doesn't seem to.
>>
>>1158668
It's called an RTG, we've been using them in space since the 60's.

Only reason they aren't used now on Earth is the public being scared of the idea of anything nuclear. The USSR actually used them for decades to power remote lighthouses.
>>
>>1158934

If you try to do fusion, the most dangerous part is you'll have a cylinder of hydrogen gas lying around. (Deuterium still flammable). But if you know what you're doing, it's fine, plenty of people have cylinders of acetylene lying around no problem.

Also high voltages.

The actual fusion occuring is probably the least dangerous. Only a few atoms will actually fuse and very little energy will be released. And you are fusing deuterium to form helium - no unstable isotopes.

Would agree it's probably a bad idea to fuck around with fission. You'll end up with cancer if you don't know what you're doing. If you do know what you are doing, expect a visit from the 4chan Party Van.
>>
>>1155646
I think a kid in Detroit got close with some old smoke detectors. Well he got close and then he set off the radiation detectors at the nuke plant a few miles away. Long story short his entire neighborhood is a Superfund site and I am pretty sure he is dead (probably didn't help his neighbors either).
>>
>>1164524
An RTG producing 10kW of electricity would be massive and even one producing 10kW of heat would be big. RTGs are a rather inefficient way to generate electricity and are used mainly in situations where the other options suck even more.
The current state of the USSR-era RTGs is part of the reason why the general public is scared of that shit.
>>
>>1159974
Chuckled
>>
>>1156633
He most likely had other issues forthcoming though. Bummer how life turned out for him.
>>
Star in a jar.
>>
>>1155646
North Korea's nuclear program is really stepping up its R&D by asking 4chan.
>>
>>1164365
true
but he did get an extreme number of sores because of the radiation poisoning
>>
>>1156599
hope u arent in the US.

thats all heavily NRC regulated. 10-CFR-31.8 cant have more than 0.185 megabecquerel of A-241 or R-226

with criminal prosection 10-CFR-20.4202

not to mention this is exactly what hanh did and just look at his face. youre an idiot
>>
>>1165401
yeah he was a bipolar paranoid schizo with radiation poisoning lol
>>
>>1165931
forgot i probably have to mention thorium and uranium are even more heavily regulated bcuz everyone here is so dense

if youre gonna try to get thorium from welding rods or something good luck. ull be spending a shitload of money and ud need to be very careful because its airborne (though it appears that type of things not of concern)
>>
>>1155646
The only DIY nuclear reactor projects I'm aware of are DIY deuterium fusors. Just a novelty with no real commercial applications, but still pretty cool.
http://makezine.com/projects/make-36-boards/nuclear-fusor/
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.