[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sound System Loud Enough For Party?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: vizio soundbar.jpg (5KB, 291x173px) Image search: [Google]
vizio soundbar.jpg
5KB, 291x173px
I am self-DJing a wedding and want to know how to tell if my sound system is going to work? It sounds great at home, but maybe at the reception venue it'll be different? The venue fits 100 people. We will have about 85 in attendance. I just want it to be loud enough on the dance floor. The sound system I have is the vizio sound bar s3851w-d4. It has a max of 102 dB. If you need any more information, let me know. I asked /g/ and so far they have not provided solid answers. Honestly wondering what will work and why. Thanks.
>>
what's the wattage
give me something other than 100 people to describe the room.
>>
>>1155565
Dance floor is about 10' by 12'. Don't know the dimensions of the whole room. But the speakers will be right next to the dance floor.
>>
is the room really reflective? does sound bounce around easily? or is it in a room with plaster walls with a carpet?
>>
>>1155563
Holy Fuck.. its a fucking wedding dude, get someone to spring for a decent PA hire. Failing that, borrow 2 fucking speakers (fullrange, 300W minimum) and an amp. That fine piece you got there is a glorified TV speaker, it is neither intended, nor is it going to be ANY FUCKING USE whatsoever as live venue PA. srsly. Dont do this.
>>
>>1155563
it'll work perfectly assuming your goal is to completely fucking ruin the wedding. hire a proper DJ or call the fucking wedding off, it'll be far cheaper then the resulting divorce
>>
>>1155563
Vizio? Junk. What is the output of your amplifier and the watt of your speakers? If you don't know, your system should be labeled on the back. If it is not, or it has some weird, bullshit rating (like total wattage output, not output per channel) then you know it's some useless piece of garbage.

Go on CL or a flea market or whatever and get a set old 70s/80s floor standing speakers (not bookshelf speakers, you want something BIG) and a cheap stereo amp. With a good power output per channel. They are TONS louder than the shitty "home theater" crap that started coming out in the 90s. Even the little 40 watt speakers that were common in the 70s sound better than that tiny, weak-ass shit you see in Best Buy these days. They get an order of magnitude louder too.
>>
>>1155654
>>1155658
>/diy/
>hire

holy shit
>>
>>1155926
>diy
>change songs on an ipod
Get a wedding DJ, they know how to sense the moods, pick well known popular songs, and come with their own sound system. It's honestly a good investment.
>>
>>1155926
there's some things you just don't diy
>>
>>1155648
None of this matters with that paltry sound system, meat absorbs sound, which is why you never consider a rig tuned till the crowd is in the venue. Room parameters only matter if you gave a rig capable if filling it twice over, which OP certainly doesn't.

>>1155658
Significant quantities of this as well. I have seen and been to enough events that were killed by bad music (slow and quiet towards the end when you should be dropping some energy so peeps leave on a buzz is one of many common mistakes) to know you don't just let any goon step up to the desk. Hire a pro.
>>
Cerwin-Vega all the way, 2x xls215 , 2x cv5000, 2x ts42, Cerwin-Vega .com.
>>
>>1155928
"Professional" DJs are shit. They tell you that they know how to 'sense the mood' or whatever, but in reality, by the time you figure out they are completely lying redneck craigslist assholes who just randomly decided to start calling themselves professional, you are already cutting the cake.

I recently got married and the venue that we were at had a professional sound system all set up. Between a couple of mash up cds that I made and DJ Pandora on my phone, the music turned out great. Everyone had a good time and I got tons of compliments on the music. My friend got married a month later and hired a DJ and two additional 'musicians' and they literally fucked it up from beginning to end. I mean, these guys fucking destroyed that wedding. It was horrible. They were singing and playing their instruments over standard versions of songs and everyone hated it.

Seriously OP, don't hire a DJ unless you literally have no other choice. Also, your setup in the OP isn't even close to what you will need. Rent a PA and some big speakers for the day and you will be all set.
>>
File: ZC9HsXI[3].jpg (166KB, 985x517px) Image search: [Google]
ZC9HsXI[3].jpg
166KB, 985x517px
>>1155979
>cerwin
bah, modern-fangled chinkshit - get on my (db) level. Whadda you mean, 'b-but shes not the bridesmaid?' What? oh.
>>1156019
Hmmm.. I have (srsly..) ran event venues, and the difference between an event with an even halfway competent DJ, and some idiot who thinks hes one with a playlist, or one who knows he isnt, but too cheap to hire one, its a large difference indeed. You can get bad DJs, sure - but a halfway good DJ can make it a great night, or rescue what may otherwise be a very bad night indeed. And anyone who thinks weddings never go wrong, trust me - when they do, they go wrong big style.

Anyway, tldr - at least everyones in agreement, OPs 'sound system' is a non-starter? That is, as said, entirely unfit for this purpose, honest advice, from consensus, by the looks.
>>
File: IMG_2328.jpg (121KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2328.jpg
121KB, 500x333px
>>1155563
>self-DJing
>sound system
>vizio sound bar

This is the funniest fuxking thing I've read all week
>>
As someone who has done this a few times, you need the following:

>Small mixer with XLR and AUX in as well as stereo outputs
>2 Channel power amp (300W per side)
>2 PA speakers (12'-15") with stands
>Vocal mic (wireless preferred)
>Laptop with a solid music library
>Mobile hotspot for the stuff you don't have
>All the proper cords and cables
>>
>>1156472
You forgot the most important part, though, if you fit the description of most DJ's, it's understandable why you missed it.

> Talent
>>
>>1155563
holy shit dude no that will not work

u better rent something like this
http://prosounddjrental.com/diy-wedding-packages/value/
>>
File: jags.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
jags.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>1156488

>djing a wedding
>requiring any talent
>>
>>1155979
I'm still rocking a pair of old Cerwin Vegas from the 70s. I've had to replace the cones once but they still have a really nice sound to them I still feel real fucking stupid for passing up the matching sub when I spotted it on ebay a couple of months ago for $150.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.