[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

to build a boat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: d0ceea97f85d6a4536261ab15e6188f3.jpg (748KB, 3365x2243px) Image search: [Google]
d0ceea97f85d6a4536261ab15e6188f3.jpg
748KB, 3365x2243px
Hi friends. Me and my senpai are looking to build a sailing boat sometime in the near future. We want to make it a boat for 3-4 persons one in which people can sleep, spend a few days on water even.
can you give me any pointers?
what are the steps of making it?
how much would something like this cost?
>>
Go to Tips From A Shipwright channel on youtube and watch him build a skiff to get the general idea. Lot of work.

It will be fairly expensive any way you go.
>>
>>1155186
>can you give me any pointers?
do your research and buy good plans / plueprins
what are the steps of making it?
buy good plans that hopefully come with a tutorial, follow it like it was the most completed thing ever bought from Ikea that also didn't come with the any of the parts and only half the instructions. don't cut corners and don't cheap out.
how much would something like this cost?
if you don't already have the workshop and tools plan on upwards of $400,000 (2 to 3 times what it would cost to buy a similar boat) and about 3-5 years if it's your first boat. materials will be less than 10% of this cost.
>>
With boats, I believe it costs a minimum of Way More Than You Thought It Would. Whereupon you sell it to the next sucker.
>>
>>1155211
When you put it like this it sounds a lot worse than what I expected
I guess I'm better off buying and refurbishing a used boat. At least until this amount of money is no longer concern (I'm in uni now)
>>
>>1155213
While 4 people will be a squeeze, you could get a half-finished trailer sailer for a few thousand and spend a year or so patching it up. In fact there's a 16'er on TradeMe (New Zealand Ebay) right now for a little over $500, but it needs refurbishing and can only hold 1-2 people. You should probably be on the lookout for a 25' yacht at least, but at least that gives you some perspective of price. Good luck!
>>
File: 1439679553703.jpg (143KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439679553703.jpg
143KB, 600x600px
>>1155186
fucking retard couldnt be bothered to do a simple google search and btw starting with that big of a boat is retarded
>>
>>1155242
>no shipping container
>no geodesic dome
>no _____ tool master race
>no diy surgery
We need a 6x6.
>>
>>1155242
Cancer
>>
>>1155276
That image has probably been floating around DIY longer than you, kid.
>>
>>1155284
It has always been cancer.
>>
>>1155186
From personal experience, do a calculation of the estimated costs and then multiply that by 3.
Still have an unfinished boat lying around because the cost exploded.
>>
>>1155186
Find an old cast iron tub or pots. Turkey fryer burner.

Start gathering up old tire weights and shit.

Pouring a keel looks like it sucks.
>>
>>1155211
Every fucking time...
>>
>>1155251
He doesnt use pallets...
>>
File: Skiff-2.jpg (2MB, 3188x1793px) Image search: [Google]
Skiff-2.jpg
2MB, 3188x1793px
>>1155186
I'll start off saying I've built a Bolger Diablo, it's only a 15 ft skiff and that took me the better part of my high school freshman and sophomore year summers to complete while working alone, since then I still find myself putting money and time into it for various other additions.

So, your running a fool's errand trying to start with a boat that large, doubly so since it's a large sailboat and you're doing it for cost reasons. If you just wanted a larger cheap sailboat, you'd be better off buying a boat from the 70s/80s that sailable and hasn't been neglected, but isn't pristine either, and doing some work on it yourself to get it up to your standards.

The other thing you need to ask yourself is where and what are you going to use the boat for, with my 15ft skiff I could go on week-long expeditions to Virginia's eastern shore with two other people and the boat would be a bit small, but not inadequate by any means, however we are roughing it to a degree, and conditions can get a bit iffy on the 15 mile bay crossing. In my friends larger sailboat (Cal 35), the same trip could be done in relative comfort, (on board stove/shower/water), but you have to constantly worry about running aground, and the boat is several orders of magnitude more expensive to maintain.

If you do decide to go with the homebuilt option, I recommend you start out with a smaller design, with my Diablo there's a multitude of small things that I would have done differently if I were to rebuild the thing, on a larger boat those things could cause massive cost and time overruns that would sink the project. If I were you I'd recommend you start out with a small powerboat, you can build the hull for under 1000$ if you already have tools, I'd also recommend you go with a cheap older 2-stroke outboard there's practically no special tools needed for maintenance and the experience of working on them translates well to many older inboard sailboats.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.