[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quietly Removing Stone Ornament from Roof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1723.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1723.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Let's see if we can solve this puzzle, /diy/.

An old building on my campus is about to be condemned. Its roof is ornamented with beautiful statues and finials. I want to steal one of the finials to use as a desk ornament. It's going to be demolished anyway, so I figure it's no big deal if I take it. Never mind how I'll get on the roof or how I'll get the stone down. I've figured these things out already.

The problem is that the building is in a part of campus that's regularly patrolled by campus police. I can't make a lot of noise when I'm detaching the finial or they'll notice me. How can I break it off without making too much noise?

Here's a drawing of the finial and the tip of the roof it's attached to. The finial is about the width of a basketball at its widest point. Should I cut it where it's thinnest? Or I should I try to crack the mortar, the weakest material? Should I use a file or saw? Hammer and chisel?

I figure that there are two approaches to this: either use a file or saw to cut it relatively quietly or use a heavy pointed object to detach it in two to four blows. This second option would create a loud noise, but it would be over quickly, so hopefully campus police wouldn't be able to pinpoint the location it comes from.
>>
there are like a hundred ways it could be attached, your stupid drawing isn't useful.
>>
>>1155104
>about to be condemned
>about to be

Meaning it isn't, thief.
>>
File: dsc-3977_388x522.original.jpg (49KB, 388x520px) Image search: [Google]
dsc-3977_388x522.original.jpg
49KB, 388x520px
>>1155105
What do you mean? I showed exactly how it's attached. It's stuck to two bricks with mortar. It's about the size of a basketball. I'm guessing that the bricks are about a foot tall. There's nothing behind or in front of it that's attached to it. Just those two bricks and the concrete underneath it.
>>
>>1155107
I'm going to wait until it's condemned
>>
File: filial.jpg (621KB, 519x728px) Image search: [Google]
filial.jpg
621KB, 519x728px
Here's an actual photo of the thing with windows for scale. The piece I want is the spiky thing at the top.
>>
>>1155116
Get a 9lb sledge and go get it at 1 in the morning
Be sure to tie it to something so it doesn't fall off the roof and kill someone
>>
>>1155104
Have you tried just asking your University if you can have it once they start demolition?
>>
>>1155123
Think I'll break it in three or four blows? What if I used a chisel of some sort to create a clean crack?

My plan is to screw a 2x4 into the roof then attach one end of a rope to that and the other end to the filial. I'll wrap it around the thing a few times
>>
Ask if you can have it.
A building in my town had these 4 foot tall sculpted tiles of peacocks from the 1880s. I just asked and they gave me 4 of em when they knocked it down.
>>
>>1155127
My plan A is to make a deal with one of the individual guys on the demolition team. I could slip one of them a 50 in exchange for the extra work of taking one of the filials down. If that doesn't work then I'll take one myself.
>>
>>1155132
Yeah a stone chisel or you could get a cheap ax you don't care about and use that
>>
>>1155104
First you have to dig a tunnel from your dorm to the "condemned building." Give it a name, don't ever refer to it as a tunnel. Install tracks and lighting. Use a large group of other students to create diversions as well as be lookouts while you work. Once you get it done, report back.
>>
>>1155104
How about getting permission to preserve the ornaments as an art project, you nigger?
>>
Honestly use a sawzall or oscillating tool, cordless of course
>>
>>1155104
Ask the administration if you can take it. They probably won't care and you will be able to do it as loudly as you want.
>>
>>1155104
Are you in the US? If so, pop down to WalMart and get a couple of yards of det-cord. Wrap it round the finial and figure out the rest yourself.
>>
>>1155104
do this OP
>>1155209
if not id drill a few holes through it in a couple directions then tap it off with a chisel and hammer or mallet, this would minimize the noise
>>
People somehow stole gargoyles from our Beta chapter when they got booted

A prehistoric Lutheran church is about to be demolished yo make way for a commercial/residential tower, does anyone have any idea how I can get my hands on scraps?
>>
>>1155182
this was a good intelligent post until you said the nigger word
>>
File: 1472428109598.jpg (105KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1472428109598.jpg
105KB, 1000x1000px
>>1155288
ask the imam for permission and allahs blessing
>>
>>1155164
He doesnt bury a shipping container?
>>
>>1155220
U wat?

Anon u cant just walk into walmart for det cord...
>>
>>1155290
Problem is op is a nigger
>>
>>1155290

>words scare me
>please dont use words sir
>>
>>1155104
Quietly sneak up on the roof with a 50 foot ladder carrying a 9lb sledge, a cordless circular saw, and a hacksaw.
Discreetly grind a band away from the ornament base. Use hacksaw if needed.
Softly tap the stone masterpiece away from the base with the sledge.
Be sure to have a tub of broken bottles on ground level in case it tips the wrong way.
The glass is almost completely silent and breaks the fall with little or no damage to the sculpture above a certain speed.
>>
>>1155377
b-but.. OPs gonna land before the sculpture when he falls, sculpture lands on OP - its all good, no damage to artifact. Having OP land on broken glass first, then, boom - thats unnecessarily cruel.
>>
>>1155373
he's being way too edgy for me to handle
>>
OP is going to kill himself. Granite is like 150 lb/ft^3. So that head is like 1.5 ft^3 and 200-250 lbs? No way are you going to cart that off from the top of a roof by yourself at night
>>
File: 1491070533451.jpg (14KB, 300x395px) Image search: [Google]
1491070533451.jpg
14KB, 300x395px
>>1155220
>This is what Europoors actually believe
>>
>>1155185
>oscillating tool
>as quiet as posible
Those tools are handy as fuck but louder than a thermonuclear device
>>
>>1155104
cold chisel, mallet and a whole lot of elbow grease
>>
File: sad guy okay.jpg (6KB, 237x295px) Image search: [Google]
sad guy okay.jpg
6KB, 237x295px
>>1155395

>TFW I can't actually buy detcord at Wal-Mart
>>
>>1155326
In Alabama you can with a valid picture id.
>>
>>1155490
U wat!!! Horey shet. Well, i work at a quarry so we use dynamite for random shit like clearing the crusher or poping shocks off of trucks. My det cord doesnt explode. I always wanted to play with some tho.
>>
>>1155398
>>1155399

Honestly the speed of which you could take it off with an oscillator would make for a stealthier approach then a chisel, plus the metal clanking echos, more likely to attract security punks. Just go in wear a mask and get it done
>>
>>1155104
don't be a thief they probably plan on selling all the things they can
>>
>vacant house nearby was going to be torn down, like bulldozer-sitting-in-front-of-the-house soon
>see there was still an old tripod antenna mounted on roof
>want it
>sneak up there and pried that sucker off
>still using the mount now

got to save one more thing from ending up in a landfill...plus just the mount like that is $30+ on amazon
>>
>>1155104
Sometimes its better to ask forgiveness than for permission anon. I wouldn't alert the school to your activities unless you're okay with being told no.

I'm no mason, but if you have big brass balls, here's what I'd do. Wait until they fence it all off and assemble their equipment and scaffolding or whatever. They will probably be knocking out the windows and shit before they go ham on it. Get yourself one of those real faggy neon orange or green vests and a hard hat. You probably know someone that has a truck full of them. Walk your happy ass right onto the job site like you fuckin own the place. You may even have to sign in but try not attract too much attention and obviously use a bogus name and affiliation. If anyone asks say exactly what youre there for with your bogus affiliation. Hopefully theres still power, because you're gonna need some extension cords and a hammer drill. Don't fuck around with any battery powered bullshit, bring a real hammer drill. Drill out the mortar as best you can then try and chisel it lose. Obviously tether it to something because I'm sure it weighs more than you. If you're lucky they may even let you use their telehandler or something. Probably a good idea to have an exit plan because I doubt you're just going to able to walk right the fuck back to your dorm with it.

GL and godspeed anon. Let us know how it goes. Maybe even have a beer or two before you do this.
>>
>>1155790
This. Foreman's the only guy who's gonna give a fuck.
>>
>>1155139

If plan a fails you make plan b far more risky
>>
>>1155325
The tunnel is made of shipping containers
>>
>>1155164
>First you have to dig a tunnel from
Good morning, Mr. Phelps.
>>
>>1155892
The tunnel is imitation crab meat composite. The containers were pulled out after it cured and repurposed as recoverable boosters for SpaceX.
>>
>>1155892
>>1156022

Pretty sure the instructions were to give it a name and never refer to it as a tunnel. You trying to get OP caught or what?

>>1155790
But seriously, this OP.
>>
>>1155790
Hitman
>>
>>1155790
This could work. Tell them you're from the City's architectural bureau or historic whatever, and that the features were deemed significant and you were asked to retrieve them. They might even go so far as to remove it for you.

Just try not to act like a fag.
>>
>>1156009
Sounded more like The Great Escape to me.
>>
>>1155790
>>1156072

The correct term is architectural salvage.
>>
>>1156119
Thanks, nerd.
>>
>>1155288
Autocorrected phoneposters sometimes make me laugh. What you wrote:
>A prehistoric Lutheran church is about to be demolished yo
How I read it:
>"A prehistoric Lutheran church is about to be demolished, yo!"
>>
>>1155164
>First you have to dig a tunnel
Dig two in case the first one is discovered.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.