[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I moved into my new apartment at the end of February, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: tap-water.jpg (84KB, 1200x851px) Image search: [Google]
tap-water.jpg
84KB, 1200x851px
So I moved into my new apartment at the end of February, and to make a long story short, I have free water (but NOT free electricity, interestingly). Water's included in the rent, and I'm permitted to use as much of it as I want - I'm locked into a long-term lease so my rent can't go up, and the contract implies that there's nothing my landlord can do.

So, my question is this: Would it be feasible to make a small hydroelectric plant and divert my free water through it to reduce my power bill? My water discharge rate is surprisingly high - before I moved in I thought I'd need a Seinfeld-esque black market showerhead for better pressure while showering, but I don't. I feel that if I diverted all the water through a small hydroelectric plant, I could reduce my power consumption for small items (like lamps) by ~40%.

I've been taking advantage of this for the past month, filling up bottles of water as fast as my sink dispenses, and nobody's said anything.
>>
>>1154961
Technically, you can make a waste water hydro generator, but it will be rather low power. You'd be able to charge say a smartphone or some AAs rather easily I'm sure. Anything more than that will take some serious planning.

As far as powering it with water that isn't waste water, well, if you do that, fuck you.
>>
>>1154961
The cost of making the equipment would exceed the money saved on your power bill by quite a lot. It would probably take you a decade or more to break even.
>>
>>1154964
Hey, it's MY water, I can do what I want with it.

>>1154969
I bet I could make a small turbine using parts from my dryer to spin the shaft of a small DC motor. It wouldn't cost me much at all.

Also, do you think that I could wrap some copper tubes on a fan and pipe my cold water through that in the summer for free air conditioning?
>>
>>1154961
full disclosure i don't read xkcd but i do find these parts interesting.
your question is surprisingly common.
https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/
also if you have a conscience consider the waste.
>>
>>1154961
>I'm permitted to use as much of it as I want - I'm locked into a long-term lease so my rent can't go up, and the contract implies that there's nothing my landlord can do.

no way there isn't something in the lease about abusing the water system, certainly the provider would have something to say about that
>>
>>1154976
>Hey, it's MY water, I can do what I want with it.

It isn't really. There's also a problem with waste issues. Most places have to pay for the water and pay to get rid of the sewer.
>>
>>1154961
Your land lord will probably sue you the first month he gets a $100,000 water bill. A leaky toilet seal can run as high as $1k a month.
>>
>>1154981
The only problem with at comic is that you don't use a falling water system. The water system is already pressurized. All you'd need to do is make a section of PVC pipe with a turbine in it that connects to the inlet on one side and the outlet to the sewer on the other. Then turn on the water full blast. It would be tiny, cheap, and produce however much power you get for the PSI in your area. Only problem is: >>1155029
>>
>>1155030
They did hit on linking the generator directly to the faucet.

"Second, as you can probably guess by looking at the above picture, pumping the water up 40 meters with water pressure and then back down doesn't accomplish anything—you can just hook the faucet up to your device, and let the water pressure drive the generator directly. In either case, for a bathtub faucet, this works out to almost 200 watts, or $25 per month."
>>
I had a similar lease but they told me if me and my roommates used an obnoxious amount of water they could and would charge us for it. I'd be careful with this stupid idea of yours.
>>
>>1154961
Nicely done, OP, thinking like a gippo. You made my day.
>>
>>1155264
>tfw my electric bill is $35/month and under 200kwh/mo.
>>
>>1155029
Yup
>>
>>1155029
Jesus I take long-ass showers but I've never had this problem. Should I be worried?
>>
>>1154976

And thats why we can't have nice things
>>
>>1154976
So what you're saying is that you want your landlord to throttle the water supply to your apartment to a trickle for the rest of your stay?

Hey he IS giving you YOUR water as per the contract.
>>
>>1154961

No, unless you're a nigger, then you should just keep niggering
>>
>>1155400
>>1154961
Some of you guys need to sit down and realise that a good portion of these landlords know what they are doing or at least employ people that do. You get free water and he gets a good tenant (so he thinks). The second he got a call from the utility company or as the other dude said, a ridiculous water bill your lease would be terminated and you'd probably get taken to court.

He won't care you take long showers, he will care if you ran water all day in an attempt to offset your power bill.
>>
>>1154961
>I feel that if I diverted all the water through a small hydroelectric plant, I could reduce my power consumption for small items (like lamps) by ~40%.
Ha ha ha. No. You can't. There's just not enough energy there.
>>
>>1155628
>He won't care you take long showers, he will care if you ran water all day in an attempt to offset your power bill.

bingo
>>
File: 30-nt-5a.jpg (52KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
30-nt-5a.jpg
52KB, 500x438px
if you really do have enough water pressure OP you could probably jury rig a 12v system up pretty cheap. if you use a very small turbo form a sub compact car or motorcycle and cut off the compressor turbine. then hook it exhaust turbine up to a small alternator and use that to charge some batteries.

if you used that for LED lighting and very few devices you might get an evenings light from a days charging
>>
You fucking idiots really are getting stupider a day.

Your water isn't FREE because it's included in your rent, it means the average monthly water charge is already bundled. The landlord is paying the water bill, if your next fucking bill comes in at 300k dollars you think the landlord is just going to go "Ah well, they got me in a loophole!" or do you think you're going to be at a very minimum out on your fucking arse and with a huge amount of debt.

"NUH-UH IT'S IN THE CONTRACT I GET FREE WATER HE CAN'T TOUCH ME NYAA"

You are fucking children with no idea how the world works.
>>
>>1155028
Waste isn't monitored jackass.
>>
>>1155671
>Waste isn't monitored jackass.
Sure it is. They simply assume water out == water in, and water in is monitored.
>>
What kind of building are you in OP? If it's a low rise or really old building, then the individual units may not be metered for water, meaning the landlord won't know who exactly is using so much God damn water. Suspicion will probably fall to you anyways, as you are the newest tenant I presume.

It's still a huge waste of what should be treated as a valuable resource, and probably won't be worth your trouble.

Even if the landlord can't charge you or sue you, it's probably not wise to piss him off when you're stuck with him for a while.
>>
>>1155668
>Your water isn't FREE because it's included in your rent, it means the average monthly water charge is already bundled.
This.

I had a dumbshit roommate once who left his window open all the time to smoke, but still cranked the heat. Sho nuff we got hydro bills.

I think I got out of it by being a threatening person in general, but local code is that even if it's included in the rent, if it's an unduly high cost for water/electricity/etc, they can foist it on the tenant. I live in one of the most tenant-friendly places on earth, and even then if there's undue costs to the landlord (i.e. more than normal usage for normal people that they can expect), they can ask you to pay the difference, or even in full.

Which, really, is only fair. "electricity is include0d in the rent" isn't a free ticket to open a bitcoin mine... Nor is it a reason to leave your windows open with the heat blasting like a moron.
>>
>>1155743
This is a great way for the tenants to get rid of the new tenant that no one likes. When a nigger moves in, all the old tenants should just leave the water open for a month.
>>
https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/
>>
>>1155671
Some cities literally have a sewage meter or calculate it based on how much water you have used.
>>
>>1155743
>What kind of building are you in OP? If it's a low rise or really old building, then the individual units may not be metered for water, meaning the landlord won't know who exactly is using so much God damn water. Suspicion will probably fall to you anyways, as you are the newest tenant I presume.

Or, you know, he'll go looking for leaks and see a fucking hydroelectric generator in the sink with the tap open full blast. Only a really dedicated landlord would keep looking after they found that.
>>
>>1155029
That's kinda ridiculous Anon. A leaky toilet will not cost you 1k/month. The only way that is possible is if the toilet is constantly flushing. Based on the average cost of water per hundred cubic feet in Droughtifornia(approx $5.757/HCF), a $1000 bill for one month would be about 170HCF. That's almost 130,000 gallons of water. Don't pull numbers out of your ass anon.
>>
>>1154961

Go buy a big water bowser on a trailer, deliver water cheap to farmers?
>>
>>1154961

Or buy 10,000 empty plastic bottles from China, print labels with a picture of a mountain and write "bottled at source" on them.
>>
>>1154961
I too listen to the snowplow show
>>
>>1156044
I like that they put the arrow on showing where the source of the fluid came from. It really helps to install the meter correctly.
>>
Start a lemonade stand. I think here the landlord has to pay water legally. They'll catch on eventually and start asking questions.
>>
>>1154961
You are literally retarded, OP.
>>
>>1154961
I will die laughing if the water is well water from an electric pump that op pays for
>>
>>1158170
It's from a bit on a podcast, op is just stealing jokes
>>
File: cactus.png (71KB, 374x489px) Image search: [Google]
cactus.png
71KB, 374x489px
>>1157515
>>
>>1154961
You will be out on your ass when he sees his meter reading or just cut the water pressure so low it will take a day to fill the toilet system.
>>
I have water included as well, and the laundry room is fucking 2$ for a wash and 2$ for a dry. Will I get lynched for using too much water if I wash my clothes in my tub?

I'd assume not since a couple (I live alone) would surely use the amount of water it takes me to to do laundry just from having double the bathing, toilet usage, etc. is this right?
>>
>>1155400
These usually don't hurt that much unless you're in for literal hours, and even then it's not a big noticable increase. Also you're reigned in by the boiler size and how much hot water you have.
You have washing mashines, dishwashers, toilet and other shit that spends a bit more than you washing up.

>>1159020
Washers and dryers are great timesavers and you should see how much an hour of your time you could spend relaxing from work or shitposting is worth. If it's a service and it has a nice cost, it could be worth it. Maybe do your laundry elsewhere for cheaper.

And no that bigger water usage won't raise any eyebrows.
>>
>>1154976

You are a piece of shit
>>
Just use it for plants, if u have land, grow some seeds, make oil and get a biodisel generator m. Nigger

And no Jamal, watermelons cant do biodisel
>>
>>1154961

You know how you can get evicted for cause?

"He's running a powerplant out of the bathroom" is a cause.
>>
You're a nigger and I hope you get sued.
>>
Roy the retarded boy!
>>
>>1154961
Brad is that you?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.