[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I cut rectangle out of a plastic case lid, /diy/? I tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170402_120144.jpg (105KB, 1465x1099px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170402_120144.jpg
105KB, 1465x1099px
How do I cut rectangle out of a plastic case lid, /diy/?

I tried drilling pilot holes with a step drill and then using jeweler saw to cut the rectangle out, but it turns out it's really difficult to do that and once you veer off course with the saw, you can't really angle it back to the correct line.
>>
>>1154890
Box cutter. Even it if is very thick you cut into it as far as you can. Then you can finish it with something else like a jigsaw. Otherwise, use a hotwire tool.
>>
>>1154893
Where do I get a box cutter strong enough to cut through this?

The ones I have, the blades would just snap if I tried to cut this with those.
>>
You need:
Dremel
Wood
Flat surface
Something to strap a Dremel down with. Rope works.

Screw a 1x1 to plywood and mount your Dremel over it. The idea is like a table saw, except the saw is above the object to be cut. This is a 5 minute ordeal that will give you better results. Put hinges on the 1x1 so it swings up to remove the object.
The 1x1 acts as a straight edge to keep your cuts even. Adjust your Dremel to your needed widths.
>>
>>1154893
>jigsaw
seconding this
have done this before and it worked fine
>>
I'd vote for a plam router and quick template.
>>
>>1154908
You make a score line then go over that line again and again. Each time you cut a little deeper. I've done it countless times. Keep in mind for something that thick you only need a deep score line for guiding the jigsaw.
>>
>>1154890
They make jigsaw blades to cut clean lines in plexiglass, use one of those
>>
File: hacksaw blade holder.jpg (26KB, 450x381px) Image search: [Google]
hacksaw blade holder.jpg
26KB, 450x381px
Id use the jewlers saw (had to look it up - basically a coping saw)

Draw another rectancle inside the finish size rectangle. Offset the line from the finish rectangle by 1/32 or 1/16. Cut out with saw. Then, with a flat file, file to the finish line.

If a coping saw can't reach somewhere, I've found picrelated handy.
>>
>>1154890
>once you veer off course with the saw
you need to practice a little more.
do you have a vice or clamp to hold the workpiece in?
you should be able to control the cut before using a jigsaw otherwise you are up shit creek
>>
drill hole
clean up corner with chisel
>>
>>1154890

as several anons have mentioned already

>jigsaw with blade for plastic

but let's say you have a circular saw only and a wood blade, just put the blade on so it spins the wrong way. works great.
>>
>>1154893
>>1154923
>>1154952
What's a good jigsaw?

I see the Bosch one has special blades for cutting plexiglass and acrylic.

>inb4 Harbor Freight - I live in Canada and can't buy from there
>>
>>1155053
No harbor freight, but there's always Canadian tire or Princess Auto. Blades are interchangeable between whatever brand.
>>
>>1154890
>once you veer off course with the saw

Clamp a straight edge to your work and hold the base of the saw against it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.