[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guitar Casting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: aria.jpg (52KB, 250x572px) Image search: [Google]
aria.jpg
52KB, 250x572px
I want to cast my Aria STG-STV guitar's body into a mold and pour aluminum into it, so that I have an aluminum body that I can reattach all of the parts to (internal electronics, pick guard, bridge, neck, etc.). The problem is, I have no idea what the shit I'm doing and I don't know how much of the required materials my maker space has, if the guitar would even be playable, or if the aluminum just wouldn't work for whatever reason.

As I said, this is just an inkling of an idea, so I'll need all of the info I can get. Materials, costs, machinery, techniques. Pic related, it's my guitar.
>>
>>1154347
hate to be a bumpfag, but bump
>>
>>1154347
b-bump?
>>
>>1154347
fuck you all.

bumperoni
>>
Calm your tits, GN. DIY is a slow board. People will get back to you when they get a chance. Or they'll ignore the hell outta ya for being impatient.
In the meantime, try googling aluminum casting basics.
>>
>>1154415
that's probably a better idea
>>
>>1154347
How are you planning to deal with neck bowing issues on a solid piece with no truss rod? You will have a hell of a time compensating for string pressure. Especially on something as malleable as aluminum.

Also hopefully a metal guy comes in soon to talk about the comparative strength of cast aluminum, know nothing about that myself, but some metals have different properties depending on how they're shaped/worked.
>>
>>1154418
I only want to cast the body, the neck will be unscrewed from the wood and re-screwed onto the metal body.
>>
>>1154422
Ah ok, I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. They've been making solid bodies out of pretty much anything for a while now.

Again I know nothing about metal casting, but I do work on guitars. The only serious issues I can think of that might come up are soldering down the ground wires (once you manage to that fucker is gonna be the quietest strat to ever exist), and a similar pressure problem with the tremolo springs, nowhere near as severe as the neck would've been, but the screw holes on the claw will see a lot more wear than wood I'd think.
>>
>>1154425
By quiet I mean low hum from an extraordinary ground plane, not that it will actually play at a low volume.
>>
>>1154427
Actually thinking of scrapping the idea, just thinking of the stripping that will happen in the screw holes, and the improbability of even being able to cast a screw hole.
>>
i hope you're just doing the body, not the neck.

look up green sand casting.

there's going to be a lot of finishing work involved... a looot. getting it smooth and stuff. threading holes for the neck and faceplate. you're probably going to want to polish it. you're not going to get the wire holes that run laterally through the wood. gonna have to grind channels for them. gonna need a good grinder.
>>
>>1154431

you wouldn't cast a screw hole. you'd drill a hole and then tap it by hand.
>>
>>1154440
You can do an open cavity that joins up with the pickup cavity, pretty common in knockoffs. The only necessary drilling in that case would be for the ground wire to the trem claw, and usually that area is really thin.

The screw holes would be a whole different animal though.
>>
>>1154440
Yeah, only the body. And thanks for the info.

>>1154441
Shit, what tools for that?
>>
>>1154447
A tap and die and some dubya dee forrty.
>>
File: tap-metal4.jpg (27KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tap-metal4.jpg
27KB, 500x375px
>>1154447

>Shit, what tools for that?
>>
>>1154444

oh fuck, he wants tremelo.

you're going to want to practice big green sand casts. i don't this will come off the first attempt unless you practice.
>>
>>1154440
Screw holes for the neck are a non-issue. The ones in the body are supposed to be free spinning to allow for a tight neck joint.

>>1154444
Drilling for a ground line for the trem claw and bridge aren't needed since the whole body is metal.
>>
How much would it cost OP to get it milled? I presume a billet would be a lot better than a grainy and porous cast with shit surface finish.
>>
>>1154473

honestly a better idea.

get a solid copper strat milled. that would be dope.
>>
>>1154477
>>1154473
What does "getting it milled" mean and how would I do it?
>>
>>1154480

http://p.protolabs.com/cnc-online-machining?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=us-cnc-machining&utm_content=online-cnc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwn_3GBRDc8rCnup-1x8wBEiQAdw3OAdYP7CFXgxMbqmS2KMgjWVCX2b5UMKF2n22B2cBfSmUaAure8P8HAQ

places like this. just give them a call. search for 'CNC milling services near me'
>>
File: DSCN3100.jpg (52KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3100.jpg
52KB, 400x300px
>>1154347
you are going to have one heavy guitar if you make it solid aluminum
you are gonna probably want to think about making it hollow just so it's not much heavier than a normal strat

cost could also be at a point where you can probably buy the guitar you want cheaper
http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

>>1154444
>the ground wire to the trem claw,
the body will be the ground, aluminum is conductive so he won't need a ground wire

>>1154473
this sounds like the best plan of attack OP
>>
>>1154621

if he had it milled, he could have any manner of weight-reduction cutting done on it. lots of cool things you could do.
>>
>>1154347
Backyard caster here.

Kwiky burner and deisle.

Built a shitty foundry by mixing sand and plaster.

Use big steel pipe for a crucable.

Melt 5.6 mega fucktons of cans and pour into muffin tins for cleaner ingots.

Its a roayal bitch and im buying an electric non ferrous metal pot.

I am fucking done having molten sand blowing in my fave and my beard being fucking melted and matted.

Google and youtybe "green sand" making and casting. I have screened sand and used bentonite gel before but it dries out fast af. Oil bonded sand off amazon is the way to go but its like $2 a pound.

Not sure of playability but a casted guitar will be heavy af.
>>
Why would you want an aluminium body and wooden neck. I would rather have it the other way around with a wooden body and metal neck. They sound really cool
>>
>>1154347
Buy a aluminium block and start grinding. :-)
>>
>>1154447
Just a tap. Probably the easiest part of what you're doing.
>>
>>1155415
A guitar body would have to be cast in one piece to be effective, maybe two if OP wants it hollow. There's no way to do it with the backyard bucket foundry stuff you're describing.
Also, wear a respirator when you melt your manganese. Your hands will shake less so you can type straight.
>>
>>1155505
I bet i could pull it off. True tho it would need a ton of finish work.
>>
>>1154347
Honestly anon if you could buy one i would just do that.

I have very little casting experience, but I think molten aluminum has a nasty tendency to blow up if its contaminated.

Say you did get a good casting, or you got a big ass billet and ground it to shape, you would still be looking at a fuck ton of manual machining ie milling, drilling, tapping, to get it to accept your hardware, all at the risk that you won't even like the finished product. Atleast if you bought one you could resell it.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.