[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electrical wiring question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: outlets.jpg (165KB, 1469x849px) Image search: [Google]
outlets.jpg
165KB, 1469x849px
The outlets in one bedroom of the house isn't getting any power. I decided to check all the outlets and I noticed that one of them is wired this way. (middle diagram)

Is that correct? All the other outlets are wired like the far right diagram.

I tried switching the white wires hoping that it would fix the problem. But still no power.

Should I undo what I did? or leave it?
>>
>>1154246
Right is right. Left is ... a bit retarded. But it should still work. Has someone broken off the feed-thru tab on one or both sides of that outlet?
>>
>>1154248

I just checked all outlets. All tabs are there.

Do you have any advice on how to check which one (there's 4 outlets) could be broken?
>>
Ok something weird happened.

I brought a lamp with me to check all the sockets in the house. They all worked. Then when I went back to the bedroom with no power, somehow it has power now.

It didn't have power for 5 days and now it does. All I did was plug a lamp into all the outlets in the house.

What the heck? Does anyone know what could be going on here?
>>
>>1154266
Could be a few different things, bad connections, bad outlets, faulty circuit. Go buy an outlet tester at home depot for 10 bucks and plug it in, it will show exactly whats wrong with the circuit.
>>
>>1154266

Did you turn a switch on? In many cases, esp with new construction the bedrooms light switch controls the outlets where someone thinks the bed should go...
>>
>>1154266
Bad connection, more than likely.

Redneck method, with the cover off and while in darkness move the outlet left to right to see which one sparks. Tighten the screws on the side if you see a spark. If theyre fed into the back pull the sparking wire out, cut off the knicked part, wrap it around the terminal(in the correct direction, so it pulls the wire in when tightened), and if you have metal boxes wrap electrical tape around the outlet once or twice. Just for good measure, so the screws don't arc against the box.

Don't mess with live wires, cut the power after you find the bad connection.

Bad connection could also be in a junction box(blank cover) or a light switch box(pigtailing isnt uncommon in them).

Your pic is weird, but it doesnt matter as long as the tabs are intact, like the other anon said. The tabs exost to be broken so you can have both of the individual outlets on different circuits.
>>
Black is live, white is neutral

You should see a little L and N on whatever you're wiring

Ground is the bare, and it should have a vertical line with 3 horizontal intersecting lines of reducing width forming a triangle shape
>>
>>1154283
good job

has nothing to do with what op was asking, but im glad you know the basics.

and the cheap outlets arent labeled, they have gold, silver and green screws.
>>
>>1154285
Then they are labeled, silver is neutral, green is ground, black is gold

And it doesn't fucking matter which fucking wire of neutral is wired to which

Neutral is just a power dump, so it all goes back the same, no matter what

Generally the same for live (with the exception of multiple fuses on the same outlet)

If you think things need to be oriented a specific way, you don't understand basic electric
>>
>>1154281
Also, thinking more about it. Probably a bad connection in the outlets. They moved when you plugged something in and re-established the connection. Plug a radio in the bedroom, turn it up, plug something into each outlet, move it around gently. When the radio cuts out you've found your culprit, but where there's one there may be more. Check the other ones if you find and fix one.
>>
>>1154288
youre retarded and have no reading comprehension.

stop trying to prove otherwise by avoiding my original statement. rambling about things you read in a text book doesnt make you seem smarter.

labeling is different than color coding.

and once again you appear to have no idea what op is asking for help with.
>>
>>1154278
>>1154279
>>1154281
>>1154289

Thanks. I'll be doing all of this in the next few days.
>>
>>1154290
>labeling is different than color coding

You must really have a sandy vagina to say such blatantly wrong things

Ops question is if you can reverse the neutrals

Yes, just make sure it connects to neutral e.g. follow the fucking labels
>>
>>1154266
>all i did was plug in a lamp
how did you take a picture? you removed the outlet? so the connections are loose.
take them out one by one, cut them back strip then replace, make sure the screws are all tight.
ideally replace the whole outlet just because its easier than having to do it later when it fucks up again because you find out the screw is threaded or fucked and thats why its loose.
>>
>>1154301
>Ops question is if you can reverse the neutrals
wrong again, kid.

this board already has plenty of people who post bad information. i dont care if its because youre too stupid to know what youre talking avout or if its because youre to adhd to actually finish reading a sentence...or maybe a little bit of both that makes it impossible to explain yourself, but you should stop posting.

maybe someone will start a thread about sandboxes, then you can help them build a sand castle using a bucket as a form. that seems more up your alley.
>>
your outlets are backstabbed, find the outlet with one wire coming into the box and plug a lamp into that outlet. bang on the walls around the other 3 outlets and watch for the lamp going out. or, what i would do, is take apart all plugs that aren't live and rewire them so the wire wraps around the screw instead of stabbing in the back.
>>
>black is live
>White is neutral
>Burgers in charge of wire colouring

Also, there is nothing wrong with backstabbing, yes wrapping it around the screw is better, but it's not like backstabbed wires randomly fall out or anything.
>>
>>1154394
they fall out often. one of the most common service calls for electricians.
>>
>>1154432
Can burgers not put wires in properly?
>>
>>1154510
In the application hey are talking about they are held in by a springy piece of metal.

But no they can't either. Every house I've bought has had a monster of an electrician through that threw a rats nest of wires in the attic, left junction boxes up there instead of running an extra two feet of wire, and can't strip or attach wires properly.
>>
File: wp_ss_20170324_0002.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170324_0002.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>1154510
Pic related
>>
>>1154382
You seem to have a skull thicker than your head so I'm going to put this through as easily as possible for your shitty Denisovan tier logic.

Op posted two fucking drawings

One where the neutral wires are in one orientation, one where the neutral wires are in the other orientation.

Op then asked are these orientations correct.

Op did not give brand information, op did not give municipality information, op did not give any other information in his query of how to wire the outlets.

Because of this, the only fucking information you can give him about wiring an outlet, is to explain to him, to align wiring, by the wire labels.

Op asked if the orientation of the neutral wires matters

It doesn't

You can wire the entire fucking room on a daisy chain of neutral wires, and as long as they are wired to the neutral terminals of each outlet you're fine.

The neutral wires don't fucking matter for op's question unless he isn't wiring the neutral wires to the neutral terminals.

Do you want me to start diagnosing op's fucking wiring with no fucking other information? And more importantly, without him asking? Op's only fucking question is how to wire the fucking neutrals.

I gave him the answer to fucking wire the neutral wires to the mother fucking neutral terminals.
>>
>>1154394
>col-our-ing
>bongs in charge of spelling
>>
>>1154515
That's a Mexican worker for you and lowest bidder
>>
>>1154246
Tl;Dr
Bilateral shared connectors. Don't cross
>>
>>1154530
>bongs
try every english speaking country outside of the US
you have to accept that you are the odd ones out, you spell words, write dates, measure distances differently to the rest of the world.
you can't bully others about things of which you are the odd ones out.
>>
>>1154246
Also, if you've got 14 gauge wire and not 12, I'd wrap any troublesome wires around the posts on the side instead of the teeth in the back. Better connection. 12 is too damn thick though so if the teeth are eaten up, replace all together
>>
>>1154543
We're the odd ones out because we claimed our freedom first
>>
>>1154394
>Also, there is nothing wrong with backstabbing

Two types of backstab connections. Spring-loaded contacts, which are shit. There are backstabs where the terminal screw provides pressure to the connection. These are OK.
>>
>>1154551
I don't know anything about backstab connections, but spring connections are better than screws in a lot of ways. They can be a bit shit to use though.
>>
File: Picard_as_Locutus[1].jpg (29KB, 350x271px) Image search: [Google]
Picard_as_Locutus[1].jpg
29KB, 350x271px
>>1154543
>Try every English (edit, when pitching a fit over language it helps to use proper capitalization and punctuation) speaking country outside of the US.

Ignorance.

>Color, now regarded as the American spelling, in fact predates the United States by several centuries.

Source: http://grammarist.com/spelling/color-colour/

Don't even get me started on 'loaned' versus 'lent' but if you want to have a laugh at some other pedantic fucks arguing about some stupid bullshit feel free to google it. Long story short, half of the shit that is weird about English and blamed on Americans is either shit that got changed outside the US after we came along or shit that was like that before we were even a thing. The other half, though, yeah, probably our fault. We're such a force in the language that you all are slowly being assimilated by "American culture" anyway, so just accept it. Sucks when the bastard stepchild leaves the family on bad terms and then ends up a being a bigger deal the rest of the senpai combined, eh?

How have you guys been doing since the Suez Crisis, by the way?
>>
OP here

The power cut out again. I inspected every outlet in the adjacent room and I noticed one of them was wired in parallel. In that receptacle, one stab-in black wire was loose and burnt. I wrapped it around a screw and now the power is back.

I should have pulled out all the stab-ins and re-screwed all the wires but the person living in that bedroom is an asshole, so I had to leave ASAP.

Thanks for all your help.
>>
>>1154283
Thats Line.
>>
>>1154257
>Do you have any advice on how to check which one (there's 4 outlets) could be broken?
Is there a voltage across the wire?
>>
File: FE6EEU4H7QCTYFT.MEDIUM.jpg (36KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FE6EEU4H7QCTYFT.MEDIUM.jpg
36KB, 620x465px
I found this picture on the internet.

Is it safe for those wires to be in contact with the plastic of the receptacle?
>>
>>1154955
Yes. Plastic does not conduct electricity. Also, remember that the metal contact that the screw is pressing the wire against is also touching the plastic.
>>
>>1154965

Thanks, I just wanted to be extra sure.

Is there no danger of the wire getting hot enough and melting the plastic? I'm sure it's possible but under what conditions could that happen?
>>
>>1154977
metal is a conductor of both electricity and heat.
if the wire was hot enough to melt plastic so would the screw be.
resistive heating is a function of current. a high resistance junction converts electrical energy to heat. an example of a high resistance junction is a poorly made connection.

tldr: loose screw cause melty plastic.
>>
>>1154912
thats why i always get a prenup everytime
>>
>>1154556
>but spring connections are better than screws in a lot of ways.

How so?

The thermal cycling under load can anneal the spring material and cause it to lose contact force. Once that starts, the contact resistance increases, creating more heat and faster failure of the spring contact.
>>
>>1154543
Fuckoff mang. I bought my 2 sets of tools. I earned the right to shit talk whatever i want.
>>
>>1155093
this is only a problem in your head
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.