[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TRUCK BED PLATFORM/DRAWERS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_6899.png (716KB, 720x541px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6899.png
716KB, 720x541px
I aim to build a platform with drawers for my truckbed, similar to pic related.

Anyone build one of these before maybe willing to share some insight?

Will be using 1"x6" joists for framing of the middle part, and 12mm ply for the tray itself.

The side boxes will be 13" high and 13" wide and made solely out of 9mm ply.
The drawers will be 4mm ply for the sides and bottom, and 9mm for front and back.

I won't be using drawer sliders.
>>
>>1153917
>I won't be using drawer sliders
Why not? Just curious...
>>
>>1153917
Last place I worked my boss built a couple of these and they worked great, lots of storage and still room to set stuff on top. He didn't use drawer slides either, just make sure you spring for the best plywood you can buy.
>>
>>1153971

To save space and for simplicity.
The drawers will only be around 5 1/2" high and the bottom will be 4 mil ply.
The floor of the bed should provide support for the thin 4 mil ply.
If I put drawers on rails, the bottom will need to be thicker, and end up taking away more space.
>>
File: girls_laughing.jpg (43KB, 600x363px) Image search: [Google]
girls_laughing.jpg
43KB, 600x363px
>>1153917
>wanting your tools flying around unsecured in wood drawers that will warp and split
>>
>>1153917
>9mm

Anemic and underperforming. You need something with more stopping powah. Anything less than glorious .45 auto and you'll regret it when Tyrone comes a callin'.
>>
>forgets to put up tailgate
>Takes off
>Drawers and tools fly fucking everywhere
>"I should have gotten those damn drawer sliders."
>>
>>1154017
This anon is right op. At least ise rhompson water seal or paint or stain or something... the wife and i are mid cold war on 4 shitty "antique" desks. All 4 are warped trash and should be tossed.

I will no doubt spend over 50 hours each and $100 fixing and selling them for $50 each.
>>
>>1154037

I have driven a truck for 20 years, gotten in and out to pull tools from the bed multiple times a day, and never forgotten my tailgate. If someone does this they deserve to lose their tools.
>>
File: IMG_6909.jpg (71KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6909.jpg
71KB, 653x490px
A little update.

Local supplier ran out of the ply I needed.
Only managed to get the 1/2" ply for the center section, and the rough sawn 1"x6" Spruce beams.

The side boxes and drawers will have to be MDF for now.
2 8'x4' sheets of MDF were $18 so no big deal.
They only need to last a couple of months at the most.
Hopefully Polyvarnish will keep them from swelling up with moisture until I redo them.

The drawer design has now been amended to 3' instead of the full length of 6'. The remaining 3' will be a single compartment with a lid.

I am now treating this as a prototype.
By the time the MDF falls apart, I will have settled on the final design.
>>
>>1154252

I look forward to learning from you, I've been thinking of doing this myself with my truck for quite some time.
>>
Not many updates today.

Seems MDF was a good choice for the bottom of the drawers. It slides really easy.

I've finished most of the center platform.
The rear compartment will now have two hinged, center opening doors like a wardrobe, instead of a single lid.
The reason being it's easier to make a locking mechanism for two doors than it is for a lid.
The drawers won't need a lock because of the tailgate.
>>
>>1155722
If no slides keep a platic container (so it doesnt make a mess) and get bars of canning wax. Rub that shit on the bottom and aides like a surf board.
>>
>>1155722

Pics?
>>
I built something similar for my truck, but I had four 'bins' in the bottom bay 2 back 2 foward.
1. Weighed down the truck a bit.
2.Made it hard to crawl in the bed without hitting my back on the cap.
3. As a carpenter with a chop saw, air compressor, and lots of other tools that won't fit underneath, it was a pain in the ass juggling the bins on the tail gate and grabbing things in the back.

All I have now is an 8 inch high shelf that sits in the back of the bed (not near the tailgate), and it's about 24 inches deep. It's crude but works. As long as there's a path to it, its the easiest in my experience to store your tools. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow of it, it's night time.
>>
File: received_1737466093231158.jpg (275KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_1737466093231158.jpg
275KB, 2048x1152px
I pieced together one this past week.

I went with an open bottom and sides to maximize storage space, I can shove my fishing poles in the cubbies on the side and also have a storage space in the front by the cab accessible by a door on either side. The platform is 3 pieces and removable and fits totes up to 10" high that hold my shit.

I use the side storage for shit that I always have - toolbox, fishing poles/bag, jumper cables etc.

While not done, pic is ~90%. Total cost was ~$120

There are things I would definitely do differently, but as a first attempt it works well enough
>>
File: IMG_2325.jpg (629KB, 1615x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2325.jpg
629KB, 1615x1242px
>>1156238
Gud jab m8
>pic unrelated
>>
File: IMG_20170405_120659264.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170405_120659264.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>1156236
Delivered
>>
>>1156534
That's not delivery that's Digiorno
>>
>>1153917
Dont do it. you kill your bed depth and you always end up loosing shit way deep near the front of the bed. just get some bins and dividers
>>
>>1156697
I'm getting tired of drinking Folgers just for the screw containers
>>
>>1156717
>I'm getting tired of drinking Folgers just for the screw containers
Then stop buying decaf
>>
>>1156534
it's ugly as shit but it's really smart, since the top space is usually hard to use efficiently.
>>
I intend to varnish the MDF for protection from moisture, then occasionally hit it with 'Pledge' or whatever to make it slide better. But I may try canning wax instead.

Even though it wasn't intentional, the choice of MDF seems to have worked well because its smoother than plywood.

European canopies are usually a good bit higher than the cab, instead of being flush like a station wagon. Pic related. There will be enough room for me to sit up in but not much more.

I like the shelf idea, and may incorporate it later. But I would build it with sides and a lid so it can function as a tool box when the canopy is off the truck.

As far as weight goes, my truck is rated for 1.3 tons so I'm not worried.

I've actually been following that carpeted ranger build on /out/.

I will also be welding up a gate for the rear for security purposes but I'm still working on the design.
>>
>>1156888
I live in the city so I built it as quick as I could on the job. Wish I had a garage to build it less crude. The plywood sides came after truck was robbed. I used two struts instead of screws, the idea for the top shelf came recently when small stuff I don't need all the time. I've finally realized these wheel wells screw up everything in a truck.
>>
No need to DIY; range rover has it covered for $244,000

http://www.maxim.com/rides/range-rover-holland-and-holland-2016-2
>>
>>1153917
Forgot pick but i found my wax brick. I think its paraffin wax. Bees wax may work and smell better. No clue. Please let us all know how it works. I may build a massive battle station soon without slides
>>
>>1156717
Topkek.

(He doesnt drink offbrand beanwatter for metal cans.)
>>
>>1156989
Only 250k? Hell i will get one in black AND grey. Maybe the wife wanta one. L O L
>>
>>1156989
>>1156994
The Holland and Holland is a pretty comfy car. And it has what OP is looking for
>>
>>1156999
Another photo

Now I will stop and go back to my home and native land >>>/o/
>>
>>1156991
Luckily I have about 2 Folgers containers doing nothing so I switched to Dunkin donuts brand. The lids on the metal cans always tear. Those folgers are from Sam's club and hold 6 or 7 pounds of screws.
>>
>>1156919
Can a full sheet fit between the wheel wells on an American truck or van?
>>
>>1158655
Euroshits don't realize the truck bed has wheel wells so it can sit lower and hold loose shit like cooler,shovels, duffle bags,firewood etc.

You can get an ugly flatbed if you wanna haul sheets of ply/osb or crates or pallets.

Generally worktrucks have flatbeds, or rusted out Toyota trucks cause the box n frame go to shit.
>>
>>1158778
I wasn't insulting your precious trucks.
It was a simple question - one which you failed to answer.
Instead you let your deep insecurities get the better of you.
Try and control your emotions next time.
>>
>>1153971
I had a simuLar build in a small work vehic once. I used heavy duty rails. They failed and needed replacing several times. Id say no rails is the way to go.
>>
>>1158851
So are you a Vulcan or just a Brit with a very stiff upper lip? On a full sized truck there is just enough room to fit a full sheet of 4' whatever in the bed flat.
>>
>>1153917
Bad ass
>>
>>1158655
I haven't had a truck in a number of years. My last truck was a 1996 Ford F-150.

You could fit a 4ft wide sheet of plywood between the wheel wells.

I'm not sure about current trucks, but it would not surprise me if you couldn't nowadays, trucks seem to be less geared toward work and more towards play now.
>>
I have a similar platform in my Xterra. It's built from 2x12s and MDF. I wouldn't recommend MDF. It off gassed for months and still kind of stinks a bit. The design wouldn't really translate to a truck bed since I have side storage accessible by the back doors. Make sure you build something sturdy!
>>
>>1158655
Not in my experience, but they fit nicely on too of the wheels, and you can then store stuff underneath.
>>
File: van lyfe.jpg (10KB, 333x405px) Image search: [Google]
van lyfe.jpg
10KB, 333x405px
>not like this
>>
>>1159250
>trucks and vans are 8 foot wide
>>
Bump from last page. I had to take a brake from the build to focus on getting the truck up to spec for inspection.
>>
File: truckbed.png (1MB, 720x541px) Image search: [Google]
truckbed.png
1MB, 720x541px
>>1159250
problem solved anon
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.