[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mach 6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Sup /diy/ I went to /o/ earlier and not much was gathered except 1 piece of useful info, here's copy and paste of it

I got a big question and a really stupid one. I recently got access to a bunch of car parts from engines to body; like spoilers, fenders, and bumpers. Pretty much nothing is limited. I also have someone that can teach me welding, meaning I have a span of many years to work on this.

>What are the chances of me being able to build the Mach 6 from speed racer?

I saw it when I was a kid and it's been a main plan. Im 19 now and my skills are garbage but that's no problem.

>I know I can't get it to the exact built but I want it to be as much as possible.
>money is not an issue, family owns company
>I have an empty garage to put it in
>only money is going towards paint

I'm taking mechanic for college and I have some knowledge from high school so as said I want to build this over the next few years, or more.

Any of you guys have experience with building a car? And if so any tips to make things easier? Also what car did you guys restore or build?
>>
A project such as this will likely require thousands of man hours to complete. Assembling a car chassis with all the components to make it drive will be a fairly daunting task. After that you've got to manufacture the body, such that it replicates the Mach 6. That will require a lot of labor and understanding of how to bend sheet metal, or molding fiberglass if you go that route. Then you've got to get down the interior and other gimmicks that will make it look like the Mach 6.

If you can, I would start with a stripped down car chassis of some existing model. Then you're basically making a custom body kit, which will save a lot of time. If you decide to replace the engine/transmission/suspension such that will be a proper racing car, will affect the amount of labor required to complete the project. Ideally you'd have some sports car chassis laying around, but it's up to you to decide what car model has the ideal chassis to work with.

I will say, welding isn't as important unless you are building the chassis from scratch, but you will probably need to weld something. It's likely that the body should be mounted in some non-permanent fashion to prevent mistakes.
>>
File: MACH_6.1.jpg (49KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
MACH_6.1.jpg
49KB, 900x506px
>>1153947
Thanks anon, I actually understand what you are saying. As I said I do have access but finding the ideal car to start from might be a task. Of course I know from the movie that not everything will be achieved but I will still try to achieve an exact replica. An anon commented about how someone made the Mach 5 (not the one used in the thunderdome) out of c4 corvette

http://www.corvetteonline.com/features/car-features/mark-towle-turning-c4-corvettes-into-mach-5-dreams/

The car must be street legal, or I will try to make it, if not I could always drive it in my back yard. It's just something I want to work on meanwhile I have school and work. I know it will take years but it's no problem, time is all I have.

There are some crashed cars and broken down I can take parts from, probably few corvettes but I'm talking trashed. I'll make a list once I get the time and start moving things around.
>>
>>1153914
>I'm taking mechanic for college
Good thing it's not English.
>>
>Center steering
You'd need to either make a deathtrap yourself, or use a gokart chassis.
>>
>>1154041
Does a formula one vehicle work?
>>
>>1154056
A: they're too long
B: Good luck getting a spare F1 chassis
C: Good luck maintaining it
D: Hurr
6: Durr
>>
>>1154059
Hmm thanks for your insight.
>>
Look into the Flying Miata tubeframe chassis, the Evocet I think? Look into how they make it, that might be a good starting point.
>>
As an assemblyman/lineworker, I can tell you that not counting the body being welded together or paint (another 5 hours and a couple hundred people [and a few hundred robots] for that on the line) that it typically takes a couple thousand people and 3 days to assemble your average car (so roughly 4 days from parts to road test and shipment [and we only make uni-bodies]). With one person, you are looking at years, and that isn't counting time going into design, or testing.
I barely touch each car for 85 seconds, and am seeing only 300 cars in a 10 hour shift. Building a car is serious business.
>>
>>1154716
I'll take your word. I can probably get help but this will be a project I will work on my free time. Any more info will help.

As a reminder
>i know I can't build am exact replica
>I know it will take time
All this will just be for me to enjoy in the future. I'm planning on starting in the next few months or next year when I get more info or details
>>
File: mach-5-replica.jpg (165KB, 630x1025px) Image search: [Google]
mach-5-replica.jpg
165KB, 630x1025px
>>1153914
Get a Pontiac fierro.
Get a mach 5 kit.
Assemble.
https://www.5milesapp.com/item/kVLWgQ2p4XVJDO91
>>
>>1154810
Sorry I misread you post. I wasn't aware of a mach 6. Is that from the recent movie.
>>
>>1154812
That is from Speed racer, the movie, not the cartoon speed racer go. And it's cool. But looking at it. It doesn't look that bad
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.