[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drilling a hole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_3009.jpg (209KB, 1536x1435px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3009.jpg
209KB, 1536x1435px
Hi /diy/ professionals. How do I drill a one-inch hole into this wooden board with a regular drill?
Hard mode: how do I do it without a drill?
>>
>>1153842
First question: Why?
Second Question of mine and of yours: Why?

Third question of mine: Is that semen?
>>
File: IMG_3013.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3013.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
1. Need to make a hole for the faucet. My kitchen sink doesn't have a third hole for it.

2. Just a challenge
3. Old white paint
>>
>>1153842
waa?
>>
buy 1" paddle bit, drill hole. what am i missing?
>>
File: 1359240616715.jpg (14KB, 266x394px) Image search: [Google]
1359240616715.jpg
14KB, 266x394px
>>1153842
>>
>>1153842
>how do I do it without a drill?
you don't

>>1153857
>My kitchen sink doesn't have a third hole for it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LENOX-1-1-4-in-Carbide-Grit-Arbored-Hole-Saw/50041082
>>
File: IMG_3008.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3008.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
I'm totally a Patrick lol. I think I got my answer. Thanks folks.
So shine a good deed in this weary world
>>
File: 07_10.jpg (80KB, 619x357px) Image search: [Google]
07_10.jpg
80KB, 619x357px
>>1153886

>everlasting gobstopper
>>
>>1153857
1.get a hole saw the size you need (you can ask in hardware store if they rent them)
2.predrill pilot hole (use a scrap wood to suport the underside so it dont chip - this is up to you if you want it clean)
3.instal - no idea what that is
>>
>>1153897
Hardware stores won't rent consumables like a single hole saw, and you don't need a hole saw, you need that drill bit in the middle to keep it straight. You COULD drill holes along the inner edge of the hole, for chip clearance, but OP is not the type who shod do that, he should peck drill.

OP, go to a hardware store, buy the cheapest 1" spade drill, forstner drill, or hole saw you can find(probably a Kobalt hole saw at Lowe's. NO IRWIN SPEEDBOR DRILLS), and ask a neighbor to borrow a drill for 5 minutes. Alternately, but the cheapest drill at the store, you're drilling a 1" hole, it'll handle it, a drill is a good tool to have.
>>
>>1153939
>and you don't need a hole saw
Should read
>and you don't need to pre-drill a hole saw
>>
>>1153842
Use a 1 inch hole saw?
>>
>>1153842
1. Spade bit/forstner bit
2. Chisel and mallet then clean it up with a round file?
>>
>>1153967
Orrr you could come down off that dick and take issue with the people who are making stuff in imperial, rather than the poor sobs stuck using it.
>>
>>1154067
Imperial is a good system.
>>
Doing it without a drill? Progressively larger nails. Nail it in, pull it out, nail in a bigger one, pull it out. Repeat until hole is 1 inch.
>>
>>1154070
It works, but I wouldn't complain if I didn't need to do fractions in my head.
>>
>>1153967
Construction stuff is still almost entirely in imperial in Canada and US, anon. The only time I run in to metric in Canada is sometimes with thickness measurements on plastic materials like plexiglass. Those same plastics will be marked in imperial for length/width, only thickness in metric.
>>
File: railspikes.jpg (41KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
railspikes.jpg
41KB, 500x375px
>>1154073
>>
>>1154080
Bingo. It's like you can read my mind or somethin'.
>>
File: 1467582369876-wg.jpg (482KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467582369876-wg.jpg
482KB, 1920x1080px
Mill it clean and easy or twist a 1 inch stick of harder wood on the point where you want the hole for like a week.
>>
>>1153967

Where the fuck do you live? Where the fuck do you work nigger? I live in Canada we drive metric speeds but in industry almost everything is in fucking SAE every single house is plumbed in imperial, our car is measured in HP imperial is and always will be alive, especially in electrical and construction and pretty much every single shop and factory atleast in North America including Canada
>>
File: saw.jpg (358KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
saw.jpg
358KB, 3000x3000px
take pic related and twist into one inch circle. Attach to drill. I'm thinking of patenting this
>>
To do it without a drill you could use fire! Well, embers specifically.

Get some wet clay and make a circle of the right diameter on the wood. Make a fire and drop some of the embers inside the circle. Blow like a mofo, topping up the embers when needed.

People used to do a similar process to make boats out of trunks or to make holes through large beams when making buildings
>>
File: $_32.jpg (93KB, 849x566px) Image search: [Google]
$_32.jpg
93KB, 849x566px
>>1154134
nothing new
>>
>>1153842
Fucks sake. Op is a troll or uner aged b&.

If u have a few screws and scredriver run it through for a guide hole. Use a file or knife.

As always. Fuckoff and die or pist progress in this slow fuckin board. ...seriously tempted to mail u a FUCKING drill...

Calm down 2 shitposting autists and leave
>>
op is pic related
>>
>>1154737
is that one of those little jew hats?
i thought it was his shoe but it fell off his head.

too small for a normal hat
any one catch that?
>>
>>1154073
>>1154080
>>1154084
Sure! You could totally do this! Dont worry about the wood splitting or anything. That never happens.
>>
>>1154176
This pleases me.
>>
Your not planning on......fuckin' that board are ya son?
>>
Metric is for commies.

Also to drill hole affix wood to a suitable metal lathe faceplate and use the tail stock to drill a pilot hole. Next pull out a 31/32" drill bit and drill. Then you use a 1" reamer to finish the hole. (A boring bar can be substituted if you don't have the drill or reamer).
>>
>>1156355
Burgerland is far more commie than Switzerland. Metric, that is, SI, is a measurement system optimised not for communists but for physics, and thus minimises the number of unit conversion constants needed in equations.
>>
File: cuttingslide07_2.jpg (34KB, 427x320px) Image search: [Google]
cuttingslide07_2.jpg
34KB, 427x320px
>>1153842
get a screwdriver and some sand and use the egyptian method of drilling using abrasive
>>
File: 99909.jpg (58KB, 428x312px) Image search: [Google]
99909.jpg
58KB, 428x312px
>>1156382
>>
>>1153842
>Hard mode: how do I do it without a drill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEjI0A9iMow
>>
>>1153861
this is cheapest way

paddle bits are great
>>
>>1154737
The Yamaka flip is the cherry on top
>>
>>1156169
Shut up, pussy. If people didn't try new things, there'd be no blowjobs. There'd be no shipping container bunkers. There'd be no progress.

Get your head out of the sand. This is 2017, not the 30's, you racist.
>>
>>1153842
Answer for both:
1" augur bit, the old square shanked kind. Clamp/screw/fasten 2 pieces of wood around the shank so you have a twist handle.

Alternately, use a template to mark the 1" hole on both sides and then carve it out a bit on both sides before chiseling through with a curved chisel or sharpened spoon.

Alternately be a normie and hire someone to do it for you.
>>
Use a small screwdriver as a chisel with a hammer. Go slow and don't split the grain of the wood.

Don't have that? Look on the street and find a broken off street steel sweeper blade and use that with a rock. Don't have that? Find a tiny rock chip or bang some rocks together until you have one and adhere it to the end of a stick with some pine sap. Wrap the end of the stick with string or fiber so it doesn't split.

Have a drill but no drill bit? Cut off / break off a piece of coathanger wire at an angle. Put it in the drill. Wobbly but that's how it works.

Don't have a drill, get a dc motor or an ac fan that you don't care about. Take the blade off the fan. Many plastic fan blades pull off without breaking if you wiggle them. Then using a knife dig into a winecork until you have a hole that will fit over the motor. Also cut into the wine cork so you can put a drill bit in it. Then glue the two ends or use hose clamps.

Then quit making excuses and break out of jail already!
>>
>>1153939
Disagree, actually. DO get the Speedbore or other auger (screw) tipped bit in the size you want with a hex shank. Get shitty dollar store hex screwdriver with the same size hex. screw the auger tip into to board. make sure to start it as close to level as you can. the auger tip will pull the bit into the board without needing a ton of pressure. then use wife's nail file to smooth and clean cut.
>>
>>1160592
other option without buying a special bit: trace a circle around the pipe you want. then drill a bunch of small holes along the circle as close as you can. then use a piece of wire tied to a spoon or butter knife etc on each end to saw through each space between holes.
>>
File: 53771.jpg (12KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
53771.jpg
12KB, 250x250px
This thread is fucking painful, just get some drill bits you fucking mongo
>>
>>1161777
its like 2 weeks hope op driled a hole over to china in that time
>>
File: milwaukee_errthang.jpg (82KB, 533x960px) Image search: [Google]
milwaukee_errthang.jpg
82KB, 533x960px
Hole saw will be cleanest. Impact+spade tip would be the best for babies first hole, but the sound will scare him.

Also, fuck that guy who talked shit on the Irwin speed bore bits. Fight me faggot
>>
>>1163062

Why is impact better for spade bits? Wont the cut be less clean?
>>
>>1160592
>implying this tier of autist interacts with women
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.