[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heat Proof Wire Sleeve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: wire.png (5KB, 635x330px) Image search: [Google]
wire.png
5KB, 635x330px
So I'm building a project that involves lighting a butane torch via Arduino. My plan is to use nichrome wire as a heating element. To do this, I have to get the wire inside of the butane torch. So to prevent a short, what is a non-conductive material I could wrap around the nichrome that can take the heat of the torch without melting?
>>
Kapton tape or fiberglass sleeving for wires
>>
Are you sure a red-hot wire can even ignite the torch?
>>
>>1153797
Maybe just use more power and longer wire?
>>
>>1153835
My wire arrives tomorrow, I can do some testing then.
>>
>>1153843
Your going to need a spark not a glow if your ignighting gas.

Bumping out of personal interest though.
>>
>>1153881
Some central heating furnaces light gas with a hot electric eminent rather than a spark. This is not just some nichrome wire though, it's a ceramic looking material.
>>
>>1153891
>Element.
>>
>>1153881
I've looked high and low for making a spark with an Arduino. I've found "high voltage generators" on Amazon that would technically work, but are too heavy.
>>
>>1153895
You can buy electronic barbecue grill igniters that run on AA batteries and have a button that produces a repeated spark.
That would be very easy to hook up to an arduino.
Search "electronic grill igniter", should find you plenty. They cost like 10-20 bucks.
>>
>>1153895
Same here debating if I should just repurpose a zippo lighter sized tazer or use miscle wire to swing an arm across a cappacitor bank.
>>
>>1153895
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3V-6V-to-400kV-400000V-Boost-Step-up-Power-Module-High-voltage-Generator-/122274977607?hash=item1c78281747:g:t~8AAOSwEzxYVzHq
>>
>>1153822
kapton is only good to 400-500F.
>>
>>1153797
Fiberglass
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=heat-treated-fiberglass

Which is only good to 1200. Anything better would need to be a ceramic insulator with a post to wire through it.
>>
>>1154068
Covered this in the original post. Too big and heavy
>>
>>1153922
Those things are piezo sparkers, the action of pressing the button produces the high voltage needed to ignite the torch. Unless you use a linear motor to push the button, this won't work.

I'd just cannibalise an arc lighter, they cost like 6 dollars on AliExpress. Since it doesn't need to be reliable you could even just use an automotive coil if you have one lying around, but this would require a substantial power source.
>>
>>1154601
>Those things are piezo sparkers
the ones with AA batteries aren't
just put a relay or transistor where the switch is
>>
>>1154602
I didn't even know those existed. Probably the same circuitry as an arc lighter, but still interesting. $3 a piece on AliExpress, your housefire may vary.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.