[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repair Aluminum Rod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 12 - Copy.jpg (57KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
12 - Copy.jpg
57KB, 1328x747px
My aluminum shower rod arrived damaged in the mail - one of the pieces are almost broke in half, it's still connected on the bottom.

I'd rather not go through the hassle of fighting with the shipping company or the seller if there is an easy way to make a waterproof repair. Any ideas?
>>
Just return it. It's not with the hassle/expense to go through trying to fix it. You paid for a functional product, you didn't get it. That's on them to make it right.
>>
>>1153766
It's called Duck Tape for a reason, that shit makes an air tight seal when used correctly
>>
>>1153766

Properly repairing thin-wall aluminum tube would involve TIG welding it.

I'm going to assume that's out of the question, otherwise you would have done it already.

>>1153777
>Just return it

Trips have spoken. I don't know who you got it from, but I've never personally had trouble getting a refund/replacement for an outright DOA item. I haven't even been asked to actually ship it back, in the case of visible, obvious damage.

Otherwise, moosh it back into round as best you can, then wrap some duct tape (or other strong, fiber-reinforced tape) around it.
>>
>>1153790
Exactly. Most of the time if you call a company and tell them an item was damaged during shipping, they'll do everything they can to accommodate you. Demand expedited shipping if they don't offer it anyway.
>>
>>1153790
Even if he welded it, he'll never get the deformation out.
>>
Return it or buy new at the hardware store. No trustworthy repairs there
>>
i've repaired this kinda thing before. one example was the canopy for an outdoor swing seat. it's super simple. you just need to decide whether to slip a wood rod inside the pipe, or a metal pipe over the broken part of the pipe. then use 2 or 4 small screws to hold if all together, screwing from below to avoid snags. to cover up the ugly, use a plastic rod cover from the dollar store.
>>
File: TiG.jpg (28KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
TiG.jpg
28KB, 500x359px
>>1153766
Slide a copper sleeve over it and solder it using a propane torch. Research how to do a scarf braze.
You can TIG weld it if you just happen to have an AC capable TIG welder and a bottle of 100% argon. Or a spool gun for your MIG if you have the previously mentioned Ar bottle.
Or you could just return it.
>>
if its a hollowed out rod, press it out from inside

These anons suggest welding, but fire and a hammer would do ^-^
>>
HTS-2000, Super Allloy 1, Lumiweld, Durafix, Harbor Freight, or one of the many other similar unbranded aluminum brazing rods that can be welded with a household butane torch.
>>
>>1153766
Who the fuck orders a chromed piece of chrome shower rod by mail order?

If you are that poor/remote, use string.
>>
>>1154145
Custom size probably
>>
>>1154144
if OP really wants to fix it that's the way to go. $4 for 2 rods at home depot, and maybe a aluminum sleeve for more strength.

but while OP is at the hardware store he'll probably spot a good substitute for the entire rod for <$5
>>
>>1153766
Break it the rest of the way then slip a dowel rod into both sides to connect them together.

>>1154108
Seconding this if you have the tools.
>>
>>1153766

You could do what some people do the car exhaust pipes when they get a hole.

>get a tin can
>cut top and bottom off with can opener
>cut it down the length with tin snips
>wrap can around pipe
>secure it with jubilee clips

you might want to get some clear silicone from somewhere and do a couple of rings around the pipe near to the break before you put the can around it, then it will give you a watertight seal when you tighten down the jubilee clips, tin can will give it strength too if you wrap it once and it overlaps a couple times.

you should try to open up the ends, where the break is to allow maximum water flow rather than having them squashed. you could use some needle nose pliers, stick them in and gentle open them to open the pipe back up again on both pieces.

might not look great but should work fairly well.

maybe another alternative would be to get a hacksaw or grinder or mitre saw with metal cutting blade, cut the squashed ends off of both pieces, then go find yourself a copper straight connector, push both ends into the connector and solder it up. then it will look better, you could paint the copper to match too so it wouldn't look all that out of place.

depends what tools you have available, your skills and what you consider acceptable aesthetically.
>>
>>1153785

What's being air tight got to do with ducks? Is it a reference to the impermeability of their oily feathers? I thought they just resisted water, not air.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.