[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mask Making Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: il_570xN.746130278_cim2.jpg (62KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.746130278_cim2.jpg
62KB, 480x640px
Sup /diy/.
Planning on making a mask. However, I want to make one that isn't your shitty run of the mill paper mache mask. I would like to make the mask similar to pic related, except I would rather not have all 4 carved out, and only 2 for my eyes. The mask also wouldn't have the LEDs, I would just paint it, along with no discs in the center.

How would I go about making it? What would I use to shape it while I form it, and what material would I use?
>>
>>1153761
Get 2, 1' pieces of 2x6, cut one edge of each at about 75°, glue them together along the angle cut. Shape with whatever: drawknife, spokeshave, rasp, belt sander... Use eye template cut out of cardboard to draw on eyes, cut out with coping saw. Sand, paint, etc.
>>
File: vacformfinishedpart.jpg (33KB, 400x275px) Image search: [Google]
vacformfinishedpart.jpg
33KB, 400x275px
>>1153761
Make a vacuum plastic forming jig. All you need is a vacuum cleaner, an oven, some wood, a mold blank you made, and some thermoplastic.

Google, "diy vacuum forming".

You'll be able to make tons of neat things with it.
>>
>>1153761
>>>/cgl/
they might help you out.
Has anyone noticed a strange influx of new, clueless posters? Are we getting raided or something?
>>
>>1153848
>strange influx of new, clueless posters

It's been like this since day one. SQTDDTOT help, but people rarely use the catalog and search.
>>
>>1153851
It's rarely been this bad. Just last night there were five new threads about pointless, insignificant shit that could have gone into any of the generals.
>>
>>1153853
>rarely this bad
Have been browsing /diy/ for a couple months now. Not the most active board, making this thread isn't harming the activity of others.You act like I'm sliding important threads or something.
>>
>>1153856
I'm not. I'm just asking if it has been this bad lately or it's just now increasing in traffic. I've been away from 4chan for the past year, maybe more. I'm curious as to whether /pol//s popularity has had an impact on this otherwise slow as fuck board. regardless, half the catalog is just absolute nonsense.
>>
>>1153761

Why not 3D print it? Could easily be done with ABS and then smoothed with acetone vapor. You could even get translucent eyes in which to put in LEDs if you wanted to.
>>
>>1153860
Hm. Well, I have been on 4chan for 8 years now (holy fuck free me from this hell), and I just now decided to check out /diy/ since I wanted to start making shit myself.

I would DEFINATELY agree with you though, that /pol/ is kind of starting a surge in the whole website's activity. And I have seen what you mean by the shitposts that are on here. Most stuff is googleable.
>>
>>1153865
Don't have a 3D printer and don't want to order 9001 from some factory in ChingLing.
>>
>>1153761
Generally people who want to make good-looking masks without getting too advanced make a paper mache base (preferably cover your face in vaseline and have a friend put paper mache on it, wait until it's dry and remove), add any shapes using more paper mache, then spackel or something similiar to fill creases, sandpaper to smoothen (put glue on sandpapered parts to get rid of the fuzzy paper-fibre texture), cut corners with scalpel or paper cutter and finally paint (and add glossy finish).
It's not the most time-efficient process and doesn't give the best results, but you'll need basically no knowledge to do it and the basic materials are dirt cheap.

If you want to make several masks, make a mold of your face (by filling a mask base with whatever; remember to put paper mache under your chin while making it) and use that instead of your face to make masks (still with vaseline).
>>
>>1153880
Also, even though it might not be the best results, if you do it well it'll still look darn good. Use thick acrylic paint and paint it carefully, if you still don't get a smooth enough texture, spray another layer of paint on top (or directly if the unpainted mask is perfectly shaped). The optional glossy layer should also be spray-painted.
>>
>>1153761
carve the basic shape out of high density polyurethane foam then finish it with bondo. From there, use this as your model and cast it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRJzSAGtfFo

I didn't watch this video but there's dozens showing the same process on youtube
>>
>>1153853
This guy bitching again... dont you have to tape your wife fucking a dude
>>
>>1153846
This is a pretty good option.
Start with a shitty paper mache mask to get your sizing right and then build up a very solid mold form from wood and bondo, should be easy to handle with simple tools.

And after you can make all sorts of things.
>>
vacuum forming is a good simple option but a shop vac and materials and tools to assemble a table and frame and heat plastic can be a little much for a beginner

just buy a foam floor mat, some contact cement, and razor blades. make a paper pattern first.
>>
>>1153973
I forgot about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgL_6jWNP2c
>>
>>1153880
Solid advice i think. Bondo and fi erglass advise from subwoofer and kit car forums applies if u arent happy
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.