[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My car is an oldie and the (I think) vinyl is torn here. I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170325_115809.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_115809.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
My car is an oldie and the (I think) vinyl is torn here. I know there are a variety of services for this, but I want to do it myself and I'm hoping there are some DIY products or kits out there I can use. What should I get?
>>
Go to a fabric/upholstery shop, bring a piece of the vinyl for color matching, buy a sheet of vinyl, copy the shape of the old piece and sew it together.
>>
>>1152790
this material is pretty old and slightly hardened. I'm not sure if it'd sew on that well, and the sewing holes seem like they would get worn quickly. This is just what I imagine.

Plus I don't think it'd look very good to have some patched on spot on my seat. Not really the aesthetic I'm going for with this car.
>>
>>1152802
I think he meant to replace the whole piece.
>>
>>1152806
He did.

The only way to fix that is to replace the whole cover now. But you may want to get some window tint or a reflector visor and use it everytime you park.

But to try to prevent this as its all probably pretty brittle is to go ahead and condition the rest of the panels. With vinyl conditioner. To try to prevent other seats cracking.
>>
>>1152811
>>1152790
So there's no way I can use one of the techniques here for example?
https://youtu.be/BwL8O-LZb_k
I think the biggest issue would be getting it color matched, correct? But in worst case scenario I could vinyl dye the whole seat so it would be uniform.
I imagine getting the whole cover replaced would really hit my wallet hard.
>>
>>1152822
Color matching isn't a too big of an issue since it's a section and any decent fabric shop should have a close color in stock.

I wouldn't bother with using the methods in that video for your fix. The vinyl looks in pretty bad condition from UV and age and wouldn't hold up with a spot fix like that. It's possible that you could cause another rip while fixing it.

If you REALLY wanted to you could try gluing a patch underneath since it doesn't look like you're missing chunks, but I'd be wary since the edges looks pretty dried out. It's worth a shot if you have adhesive lying around and get a piece of scrap vinyl for free. Worst case, it doesn't work and you get to reupholster it properly.
>>
>>1152866
Guess it depends if I want to drop $10 on a kit to even try... The picture makes the hole look alot bigger than it is btw.

Maybe I'll try that until my budget is abit more open too. Kinda hoping it doesn't work so I have the excuse, heh.

Thanks anon!!
>>
>>1152789
Walmart sells a patch kit?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.