[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

POS Tinker Time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: vf01.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vf01.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
I have a few of these, What can I do with it?
Open to tinkering, average knowledge on electronics. Units apparently don't work as POS card swipers anymore.
>>
>>1152663
>I haz POS Swiper
>POS Swiper function no function
>wut do?
this all looks very promising.
>>
>>1152663
you can use the reader head
maybe the display if theres a datasheet

various smd passives can be harvested with 2 pencil irons

besides the basic glue logic, everything else is custom and useless
>>
What I meant with "they don't work as swipers" is that they probably can't connect to whatever CC bank network that answers at the other side.
Worth to mention maybe, I picked up literally, a truckload of them, various models. They have been labeled as having various failures like "No backlight", "Tamper", "Printer failure", "Lost keys".

Unfortunately, they seem to have been left overnight under the rain. I guess if they have a battery inside or can be left to dry without opening them.

Most if not all units have a seal (intact) on a couple of screw slots.
>>
>>1152663
I can only think of bad things anon.
>>
>>1152663
make a railway system using those swipers as wheels on a long rail made of credit cards
>>
File: pn022.jpg (214KB, 1280x896px) Image search: [Google]
pn022.jpg
214KB, 1280x896px
So I opened up a couple, they have sealing stickers, are riddled with security, booby traps and anti-tampering mechanisms.

CPU is potted and it has an anti x-ray shielding, keyboard has switches detecting if the keypad has been separated from the board, all keypad bias are routed in middle layers, the CPU board is 8 layers with few of those being just anti-xray patterns.

LCD screen seems usable, it has a connector
Magnetic head usable
GSM modems, usable
POTS modem why bother
Smartcard slot, usable
Printer seems also easy to reuse.
>>
Explain more in depth about the booby traps, security and anti-tamper features. For science.
>>
>>1152663
make a bomb timer that only works when you swipe your credit card.

hook it up to a bomb and use it as a tech savy suicide method.
>>
>>1152887
I would see if you could de-pot one, just to have a reference for what the circuitry is. Other than that are there any accessible uart/spi interfaces you can see?
>>
>>1152887
Is it just the screen that has a connector, or does it have its own driver board?
>>
File: 1473456038865.jpg (22KB, 624x366px) Image search: [Google]
1473456038865.jpg
22KB, 624x366px
>>1152911
>911
>>
>>1152663
Dad turned two into security locks for the door to the shed and the garage. Hooked the printer part up to a small electric motor and a deadbolt, made it so you have to swipe a card and insert the associated pin (He made four that will work with it) and it then opens the deadbolt. He also said in the end it was almost as expensive to pull off as buying some premade tech to do the same.
>>
>>1153412
But that's not /DIY/ anyone can buy shit, diyers make shit!
>>
File: vx06.jpg (312KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
vx06.jpg
312KB, 1280x960px
Aight, spent a bit of time with some of these.
CPU is Samsung's S3C4410, well known SoC because it populated some of the pre "fruit Pi" ARM development boards (ie Mini4410). It can easily run Linux but the POS has a ridiculously small amount of memory (4MiB RAM/4MiB Flash).
The picture is from an older model than the potted one but CPU is the same. I tried de-potting the device from the OP and discovered that same Samsung CPU and some memory chips, circuit should be the same with the addition of anti-tamper mesh.

Now for the Q&A:
>>1152670
Reader head (2 track) and decoding IC are on board, very usable.
The display, I haven't researched it yet but I really hope I can use it, many projects popped up in my head. It's a 128*64 monochrome graphic display. Older units have 128*32.
SMD stuff, I'm interested in LEDs. Some have 8 or so SMD Green LEDs, extremely useful to replace the annoying plague of blue LEDs on most electronics today.

>>1152680
I saw that video too ;)
But not into getting jailed for something stupid. I could sell them online and let the bad guys get their way with them. It's not even hard to do.
Although almost all that I got have an old security standard and are to be replaced by 20170430 when the security expires.

>>1152692
I have more readers than credit cards :s

>>1152908
I'm not explaining much yet as I'm learning and what I know and guess, changes every day as I learn more and more about them.

>>1152919
Funny thing, the 510 has a soft potting material that I scratched away with hot air. The older unit I have refused to let me in so I up the heat and removed the potting compound... with the components still attached to it. (doh!).
Anyway, I uncovered the CPU and it's a Philips but no reference on the net. If it was something common it could have been a good hack piece as the CPU is regular SMT, not BGA.

>>1152921
Screen is CoG type, it has a flex connector and you talk binary to it. I don't know the model of the driver chip or the screen yet.
>>
>>1153532
If you figure out how to use that screen I want to hear about it.
>>
>>1152908
This vid shows what's inside when you take it apart along with the security measures that are in place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCgtTPwlDSo
>>
>>1153550
That's a sagem/ingenico unit, it has less "paranoid mode" security with just one button that the bottom cover pushes and 3 buttons on the keypad.
>>
>>1152669
I say he scams a scammer by selling him these defunct items.
>>
>>1152663
Do these have chip readers? Are these USB connected? If yes then maybe you can buy smart cards, encrypt and sign stuff with them.
>>
>>1153532
>I saw that video too ;)

What video?
>>
>>1154026
That one
>>
File: vflcd.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vflcd.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
Update, got Ingenico units, they're worthless in CPU because it's custom. Some RAM/EEPROM chips can be salvaged but they're BGA and small capacity.

The screens look promising and well, each come with a thermal receipt printer.

About the verifne screens, they have 2 sizes (128x64 and 128x32) and found no information about them, maybe it's time to build a sniffer and catch some traffic on the cables. They're exchangeable so they use the same controller.
>>
File: ingeCPU.jpg (110KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ingeCPU.jpg
110KB, 800x600px
Ingenico Aqua CPU, RAM and CPU Board.

>>1153660
They do have smartcard readers, some USB, Serial and Ethernet but they're isolated parts, you need to write an application, sign it and upload it to the device to get communication between card, software and computer.

>>1153542
I'm on it, it requires a microscope to look at the dice on the glass and try to find some marking to identify the controller or sniffing data traffic to figure out the init commands.
>>
>>1152674
Electronics can be dried out only if no corrosion or calcification has occurred inside. My girlfriend passed out drunk and peed on her Nexus 7. I was too drunk to take it apart and the next morning it was completely corroded from the salt and current. Rain MIGHT leave no minerals but it also might be acidic and may have caused corrosion. Pop em open and inspect them.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.