[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Figure Garage Kits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: a377_1.jpg (85KB, 455x640px) Image search: [Google]
a377_1.jpg
85KB, 455x640px
Perhaps it's the wrong board, but I'm a sculptor and I've discovered "garage kit" anime/game figures. How are the base sculpts created and cast into separate parts? Do people sculpt these things out of clay first, part it out, and then cast it in casting resin or something? If this is the wrong place, please direct me elsewhere
>>
>>1152560
You'll get a better answer in the Plamo threads on /toy/ or /m/.
>>
>>1152564

Thank you, I'll post there instead.
>>
>>1152560
>How are the base sculpts created and cast into separate parts?
They are sculpted from modelling clay and then a silicone mold is poured around them.
Division into parts is necessary to get a good mold.

Do people sculpt these things out of clay first, part it out, and then cast it in casting resin or something?
Either they make them from clay and pour a mold around it or they are designed in a CAD program and the molds are milled using a CNC machine.
Casting is always done using resin.
>>
>>1152560

i think they use vacuum on their resin casts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2jKcMpHK_M
>>
>>1152560
Plamo Tsukurou did a video on a custom GK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEND77k95uc
>>
>>1152560
Ive had good luck in the past using, clay, plaster molds and casting with liquid electic tape (easy to find liquid vinyl).

I liked to cheat and make a first mold from a figure. Then press clay into it for a prebuilt base. Then carve, sculpt and add. Then a new cast with plaster for my original design.

Armatures can be a pain.
>>
File: 20160805_145528.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160805_145528.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1152560
Professional miniature caster. Maybe I can help shine some light on this topic
The original sculpt is called the master. It is what will be placed into a mold. I usually work with monster clay, fimo and green stuff. It will need to be cut up before molding. Usually if you have a human figure the hands, legs, arms and head will have to be separated depending on the pose of course.
The molding process is up to you as there are many options. RTV is the most common for hobbyist as it requires only a vacuum chamber and a scale to set up the silicone. The silicone isn't cheap but it lasts a long time and holds detail well. If you want to mold your own sculpts I highly recommend looking into RTV tutorials.
Once you've molded your sculpt the tough part is cutting gates. These are the channels your material flows through to fill the mold cavity. You also need to cut vents. These give excess air somewhere to go that isn't the cast. Chins are notorious for catching bubbles. Anything with a sharp angle will probably have bubbles.
invest in a good mold release. Mclube 715 is my personal favorite. However it can be greasy if over applied and is a nightmare to clean off the figure. It has naptha so use generous soap and hot water to clean the shit off.
As for casting materials I'd recommend smoothon 66D. It's not hard to work with so it's good for beginners. The resin is not badly priced for its quality.
> pic slightly related. It's the bottom of a clear resin figure after its been primed with moly powder
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.