[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A place to work at night

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: anthonys-garage-shop-6.jpg (138KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
anthonys-garage-shop-6.jpg
138KB, 1280x853px
I am an incurable nocturnal owl, and am most insatiably productive at night.
There's nothing I would love more than to do some fucking woodworking at 2am without any distractions, jam to some music and make noise that no normal person wants to hear between the hours of 9pm to 9am.

I suspect noise dampener foam wouldn't cut shit coming out of a jointer and table saw. What are ways to make this dream come true? Are we talking a basement two/three floors deep? Some shanty out in the country with like 7 acres of wilderness?

Anyone else with their wires a little screwy have a similar dream of a truly 24 hour workshop?
>>
File: 215759.523029.jpg (39KB, 509x382px) Image search: [Google]
215759.523029.jpg
39KB, 509x382px
Do you live in a big city?
Chicago has 1 woodshop i know of, fully kitted, 24 hrs, 15 hrs/wk $115/mo. 40 hrs/wk 300+/mo
theres also one a them "maker spaces" thats 40-80/mo and thats 24hrs a day. takes time to get "cleared" to use machinery/tools b/c no one knows wtf is going on there
>>
Yeah I've loved the same idea for a while man, I had friends in college that lived on farms and shit, could do that shit at like 4 AM nobody would give a shit. I'd say moving out in the middle of buttfuck nowhere is your best bet, that's just me though
>>
Get cindernlock garage/shop to work in and make sure you aren't 20ft away from your neighbors. So long as you have good ventilation and keep the doors shut you shouldn't really bother anyone by the time the sound travels through your bricks and your neighbors house. I'd also suggest getting high quality tools or retrofitting your tools with induction motors to keep down the noise from shitty universal motors that they put in everything nowadays. Really the bricks are your best friend since they are cheap and heavy so the will absorb and stop low frequencies that would annoy a neighbor.
>>
>>1152415
>Anyone else with their wires a little screwy have a similar dream of a truly 24 hour workshop?
Yeah, as someone with non-24 sleep disorder, it's kind of a necessity.
I bought a house out in the woods and have turned most of it into a workshop. No neighbors to annoy.
>>
You have found your source of inspiration. Use it wisely, and frequently.
>>
>>1152423
>big city
yup. I'm part of a few makerspaces, two of them boast a 24 hour title, but that is only pertaining to access. They both have residents living closeby and thus have noise curfews on some powertools.

>>1152424
>4am
That's the dream homie.

>>1152441
>cinderblocks
I'll wait for a second opinion on this. Anyone else want to 'weigh' in? *slaps knee*
>>
>>1152472
I'm in construction and we had a project that required sound proofing. We used sound proof floor foam under the tiles, double brick walls with air in between and double pane windows(not common in my country). It works so well that we had a grinder working right outside the windows and you could barely hear it.
>>
Any interest in handtools? Ditch the big table saw and go primitive. You can make sawdust all night long without waking the neighbors.
>>
>>1152491
Air is you best friend when it comes to insulation... as long as you seal it between whatever you want it will work better than anything
>>
>>1152415
Unless you build something like a strawbale workshop with acoustically sealed doors and windows, you're going to have noise complaints if you work through the night.

Why not just do most of your dimensioning and jointing of lumber during the day and work with hand tools and quieter power tools at night?
>>
>>1152529
That's what I do out of necessity. I go to the makerspaces for dimensioning and big work, and detail work is at home where there's less distraction and more reliable fine tools (shit doesn't stay sharp there very long).
I should also mention my current 'woodshop' is my parents' backyard in the suburbs. When I do set up a spot, I'll want to be able to indulge in insomniac work, hence this thread going towards the planning.

I feel like we're not talking about subterranean solutions enough.
>>
File: Wall mount dust extraction.jpg (64KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
Wall mount dust extraction.jpg
64KB, 564x564px
>>1152535
>Subterranean solutions
Why though? It's expensive to do it for the sake of it and you have to do more to keep damp, movement and other structural problems at bay.
I've seen people set up a small woodshop in a spare room of their house before and some of them look pretty good.
Obviously you won't be able to fit many machines in and dust extraction has to be well set up, but a french cleat system for mounting tools on the wall and pic related with a gated system to reduce the amount of piping.
>>
>>1152495
No air is better.... Lmao
>>
>>1152544
Good notes, didn't consider any of these considerations. I imagine it'll also be cold as fuck.

As far as a retrofitted spare room workshop, I'm not sure I want to work in a house for risk of fucking with neighbours' sanity. Someplace non residential or maybe even in an industrial district of the city could work, be it above or under ground.
>>
>>1152700
>consider considerations
fucking mornings.
>>
>>1152493
This. It's part of why I started using more hand tools. Once I realized you can get the same results nearly as fast, and much quieter and less dusty, I just kept going with them.
>>
>>1152493
>>1152712
>hand tools
Word, I do use them, but I just can't replace some of the power tools like the belt sander and band saw. Chisels are dope and I love them, but doing any chopping with a hammer will not be any better as far as containing the ruckus.

Aight, full disclosure, I make wooden swords, and the process with power tools is already 30+ hours per piece. I'm trying to make them faster and better, so unless I'm willing to add at least another 20 to it like RiverReed who makes bokkens with all hand tools and charges upwards of $800USD for a stick, I'm not terribly keen on ditching machines.
>>
>>1152700
If anything, it'd actually be more temperature stable than an above ground structure due to being coupled to so much thermal mass, (assuming it's built properly)

If you share walls with your neighbours, having an inside workshop isn't an option unless you restrict yourself to hand tools and low noise machinery.

I think you should stick to your parents place for now, at least until you get a house of your own where you can do what you like.
>>
>>1152415
nice dream
my workshop is in midle of the house basement but still hear it within the house so i dont do things with powertools at night
so a noise dampener foam in walls is probably way to go or a workshop in country side
>>
File: 22gV7UY.jpg (763KB, 1536x2304px) Image search: [Google]
22gV7UY.jpg
763KB, 1536x2304px
>>1152819
>Temp stable
Neat.

Though i don't think having even my own house will do for a 24hr shop, as I'd still be at the mercy of neighbors and by extension the municipality.
I feel like the solution is out there, like x files aliens.

>>1153713
>Noise dampeners
Maybe, it's being said a lot. Perhaps with a combination of everything listed so far - two layer walls, maybe made with cinderblock, and noise dampening walls and ceilings, in a part of the city people generally don't live in, the dream can be made actuality.
>>
>>1152753
>Aight, full disclosure, I make wooden swords, and the process with power tools is already 30+ hours per piece.

CNC or mechanical duplication would get you blanks quickly. Profit is the name of the game so figure how to slash labor time to make more money.

If you have room for an enclosed trailer they can make excellent shops and you can tow it when you move. Concrete pavers under the tires will keep it from sinking.

You don't need zeronoise autism, just sufficiently reduced noise so it blends with existing background noise.

I have shipping containers as shop and motorcycle garage space. They are very easy to work with and you can lay horse stall matting on the floor and hang it on the walls to dampen noise. You could also do this with a robust enclosed trailer. It's not light but it would work and the matting is tough and readily available. It works as well as expensive industrial toolroom matting. I know because I built a weldings school toolroom using it on the floor, and I have a few sheets in my living room under my weight set.

Bounce house fans BTW are wonderful shop ventilators. I strongly suggest studying mobile industrial shops. Every time I copy industry I get great results, so I go immediately to industrial examples when I've a problem.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1089582627_lk1c.jpg (625KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1089582627_lk1c.jpg
625KB, 1500x1125px
>>1154880
>CNC
Already levelling that up mi amigo.

>trailer or shipping container
Now we're talking. The container was actually something I was thinking about. I saw some HGTV show where two mongo brothers built a workshop inside a shipping container without any kind of noise absorption in the walls, and I feel like the accoustics will just bounce noise around to painful levels. Can anyone confirm?
Horse stall mat, good shit, will take note of this.

Solid note on industrial solutions as example. Thanks guy.
>>
Sadly, I can't afford having a wood shop, or the tools needed to even constitute a woodshop.
let alone having a woodshop separate from my home where I can work at night,

A boy can dream though, A boy can dream.
>>
>>1152415
I can use my saw in my garage at any hour and my neighbors can't hear it, they're maybe 60feet away?
>>
best way I found to soundproof stuff was to just use the blow in insulation in nearly anything

cinderblocks + that shit is great

the way to dampen noise is have small air pockets inside of materials so the more balance you have the less sound penetration
>>
>>1152415
Are you me? I'm stuck in a shit apartment because I'm too poor to afford anything else, I have an irregular sleep cycle, and I'd fucking love to be able to work on projects late at night without bothering anyone with my noise.
>>
File: VikingSwords.jpg (93KB, 994x655px) Image search: [Google]
VikingSwords.jpg
93KB, 994x655px
>>1157661
I certainly am. *highfives self*

>>1156845
Awesome, cinderblock mention #2 is good enough for me. Adding spray-on foam insulation sounds like a solid plan of attack as well. This is coming together brahs.

>>1156837
Where are you at? Check for makerspaces man, they basically cater to exactly this need in a populace. I have the luxury of living in a city with an actual Tool Library, that works just like a book library - pay a yearly membership of 50-100 bux and borrow away at your heart's content.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.