[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lightweight furniture materials?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 49dc8d77122849e107ccb178e3833da1.jpg (199KB, 512x1836px) Image search: [Google]
49dc8d77122849e107ccb178e3833da1.jpg
199KB, 512x1836px
Hey /diy/

First thread here I hope someone can help me. I've got a van that I'm converting into a micro camper and I'm trying to decide on construction materials and methods.

I will be building two aspects -

1. A bench that is a pull out bed
2. A table unit with built in shelves

>pic somewhat related

I'm reasonably competent, access to tools, and have a clear idea what I want, but I'd love some advice as to material

I was going to box it out with timber and then clad in one of the following,

I have a few square m of marine ply, but it's ugly stuff.

I could get Mold resistant MDF but it's kinda heavy and ugly,

or veneered MR MDF, more expensive, less ugly

both of those will require edging as well afaik

or I go with solid pine furniture board, I like the idea of natural wood for finishing options

Anything else I should consider? I want lightweight and easy to work with,
>>
>>1152124

Baltic birch...comes in 4'x8' and 5'x5' sheets, variety of thicknesses up to 3/4" (19mm)...now voids, so the exposed edges can be finished and look pretty good...fairly lightweight and just requires standard tools found in most cabinetshops to cut/machine...
>>
>>1152127
as in baltic birch ply? Yeah could be nice
>>
>>1152127
what would you suggest for thicknesses to use? do you think I can get away with under 1/2" ?
>>
>>1152140

Depends on what your trying to do...if its going to support alot of weight, then don't go thinner than 5/8"...I've used the 1/2" for drawers...
>>
>>1152145
The bed will be timber framed which will be structural so I'm hoping I can go as thin and light as possible for the cladding.

I'm starting to like the idea of veneer, is it easy enough to work with?
>>
>>1152185

It's plywood...as long as you have some proper tools, sharp blades and bits the rest is fairly easy peasy...

If your crosscutting, the veneer will tear so use a scoring saw, or over cut 1/4" an clean up with a router...
>>
>>1152192
and hard/soft wood laminated panels?

what do you think of something like this https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/sheet-material/furniture-panels/solid-pine-furniture-panels/solid-pine-furniture-panels

They also do oak but the price is steep
>>
>>1152201

Would work...it would be better if you pick out your material from their pile though...

Give it a go...get back to us with pics...
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.