[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should a beginner build up a toolkit without going overboard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Toolbox.jpg (153KB, 380x316px) Image search: [Google]
Toolbox.jpg
153KB, 380x316px
How should a beginner build up a toolkit without going overboard?
>>
it's impossible to go overboard. tools are like magical spells. the more you have, the more monsters you can slay.
and the better quality the tool, the better job you'll do, so your human worth goes up as well.
which is a good thing, given that your current worth is so low.
>>
>>1151792
Buy only the tools needed to repair, maintain, and/or build.
>>
>>1151792
depends...budget? plans on what you plan to do? how mutch you are wilingli to invest?
here is a inspiration :
tested.com/art/makers/454389-still-untitled-supplemental-adams-inexpensive-beginners-toolkit/
have part of the listed tools mostly i get tools i need for jobs i doo, or i want in my inventory from memem brands to brand name tools, old tools (over 100 years old) to brand new shit
>>
>>1151792
craigslist and garage sales. always buy used first. fill in the gaps with cheap chink shit from harbor freight.

if you use it enough that it breaks or does a shit job for your application, then and only then do you consider getting something new.
>>
>>1151792
Everytime you get a new tool, you'll find a way to use it.
>>
File: fiber.jpg (129KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
fiber.jpg
129KB, 650x450px
>>1151803
This is the right answer.
Used tools, old tools, rusty tools. Look for those. Often times you can find a really good stanely that needs some TLC for cheap. Stay away from jewcheapo (unless you're in the clearance isle). When you're ready for good tools you won't need to buy them from the bigbox stores.
>>
>>1151792

Get a box first. I got mine on Ebay for $25.

I recommend a hammer, a wrench, some different types of pliers. A screwdriver with the 50pc set where you get all phillips, flat, hex, and torx.

Get a drill, with the drill bits.

Thats a good start
>>
File: P1050818a.jpg (365KB, 1600x1116px) Image search: [Google]
P1050818a.jpg
365KB, 1600x1116px
>>1151792

1 What are 'tools' / 'toolkit' for?
e.g. house repair = plumbing + carpentry. or Auto repair ... I need 4 sets of tools, electronics, auto, carpentry, plumbing, + few odd extras.
2 how often will you use (if only 1 time, maybe rent?)
3 Don't buy junk, but cheep can be good , especially if you are not going to wear-out the tools
4 Garage sales usually have lots of incomplete tool sets - you can either start with or use to fill-in your sets' missing tools + and stuff you can't justify buying at the store.
5 unless you are in too small of apt. you can make room for tools.
>>
>>1151802
The issue I'm having is that the more I do shit, the more I go to a store, the more I see tools that I would very much like to use but I don't really know(due to inexperience) if it's a good tool or if I'll never use it again.

I started with a basic toolkit from walmart but I add things as I go along for example I needed a certain size socket to remove a spark plug from a mower so I bought that one socket rather than an entire set but I'm wondering if it's maybe better to buy them all in one go just in case but that leads me to question why buy shit that I may never use when i can get the stuff I WILL use for much cheaper albeit i will be left with incomplete sets.

>>1151829
>1
I've messed around with electronics before so that I can figure out on my own. It's only recently that i've gotten into car/tractor repair and home repair and that's where I get confused.

>2
That I wouldn't know. For example, I have a nail gun that I'm using that I borrowed that I know I can use a lot but that makes me wonder if I should really buy it since a hammer would probably work just fine.

>3
i've been buying as I go from big box stores. i doubt i'd wear them out too fast. i've had the basic kit over a year and the only thing i really have replaced were the blades for the utility knife.

>4
I will check them out, thanks.

>5
Nah, i live with my parents. Been fixing stuff around the house just to stop being bored. The only issue is i'm finding this to be a really easy money sink.
>>
>>1151838
inexperience...yeah thats why a watch like month ahead videos how to work with the tools lol
last year i invested more then 100€ in tools and things for my workshop like a delta grinder, dremel clone etc. Even when i dont use a tool ofthen is bether to have it and not use it, then dont have it and need it.
>>1151829
damn i wish garage sales was a thing around here
>>
No such thing as too many tools.
>>
>>1151794
>mfw anon makes a point.

> $4,000 in craftsman tools.
>still have to bumb shit off my dad...
>start by removing the moto. <muh 144 tooth 3/8ths drive matco ratchet> no...
>muh SK sets to carry around
Crastsman sells ro Stanley. ...my lifetime warranty ends at 31 years into my lifetime when?

Can never have too many but a crastsman priced tool set and quality equivelent is a good start. Not horrible wuality or price. And kits save u a dickton of money.

If i could start over?

Have a friend in mechanic school and buy the biggest nicest set you can through him at a huge discount.
>>
>>1152365
>craftsman
Very competitive hand tools, but power tools are functional at best and only useful for hobbyists.

Power tools are so cheap (who knows if that'll change, with stricter import laws, though) that it just doesn't make much sense to me to save a couple $20s here and there in exchange for a tool that looks and feels like a plastic toy. Plus, modern lithion-ion is so much better than old nickel-cad that a couple batteries are a great investment even for a semi-serious hobbyist.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.