[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck, Ryobi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20170326_190329.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_190329.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Woke up bright and early this morning (4pm) to finish off installing new flooring. Went out to my garage to start cutting molding, and saw the fence was cracked on my miter saw.

I can't possibly see this being a high stress part, and I've only cut laminate flooring and molding on this thing. Had for less than a year, and have only used it for about 1000sq feet of flooring and maybe 20 cuts in the molding.
Is this typical of miter saws? Ryobi?
What are the odds of them sending me a replacement part if I don't have my receipt.
>>
File: 20170326_190321.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_190321.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1151515
>>
File: 20170326_193319.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_193319.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1151516
I rigged up a shitty replacement for now just to finish the job, but it's definitely off by a touch. Not enough that it seems to matter, but who knows.
>>
>>1151515
>Is this typical of miter saws?
My 40-year-old Rockwell/Delta says no. Then again, it was made in the USA.

>Ryobi?
Yeah, pretty much. Ryobi is TTI's budget brand. If you wanted a TTI saw that was more heavy duty you should have gotten a Milwaukee. Really, though, they are all kind of the same for homeowner-tier tools. Ryobi, Craftsman, Black & Decker, Stanley, Skil, Ridgid, Worx, they are pretty much the same.

Going upscale can sometimes, but not always, mean you get a better quality tool. DeWalt (Black & Decker), Porter-Cable (also Black & Decker), Milwaukee (Ryobi), Bosch (Skil), Rockwell (Worx) are the higher tier brands that a typical homeowner can afford and find easily.

There are many others in each category. Two things to remember: You get what you pay for and do your research before you buy. Asking questions like these after your shit has already broken is kind of a waste of money, eh?
>>
Its always a possibility with chinese cast "alloy" parts.
The composition is usually a mix of melted bicycles and dental fillings from executed prisoners.

If the material is porous, and you live somewhere cold and humid, the expansion of water in the pores could have cracked it.

If you have a gas torch you can weld it back together.

But at 1 years old it should still be under warranty.
>>
>>1151519
>Asking questions like these after your shit has already broken is kind of a waste of money, eh?

I guess I was mostly venting. I sourced a replacement fence for about $30 shipped it I can't make do with ghetto repairs.
At the time I bought it, I had just dropped $2.5k on flooring and wasn't particularly interested in getting a high end miter saw. The Ryobi looked good enough for what I expected to ask from it.
Just confused as to how it cracked for seemingly no reason.

>>1151559
>If the material is porous, and you live somewhere cold and humid, the expansion of water in the pores could have cracked it.

That sounds reasonable enough. I'm currently in Mississippi, and it's always humid here. Took a break on the flooring over January and February for business related obligations, and I heard it got pretty cold around here.
I doubt *freezing* cold, but who knows?

I have a stick welder and will give welding it a shot. It's pretty light, so I assumed it was aluminum. I'll magnet test it when I get home today.
>>
>>1151561
> I assumed it was aluminum
Could be. Could also be 'pot metal". Cheap castings were often made with pot metal. The name comes from them throwing whatever was handy into the melting pot to make enough of the stuff to cast with. Zinc, copper, lead, aluminum, tin, magnesium, you name it, can end up in pot metal and the ratios can vary from one batch to the next.
>>
>>1151515
>Is this typical of miter saws? Ryobi?
I have a Ryobi table saw, and the elevating screw stripped out after about 6 months of use.
I really don't think much of their crap.

>What are the odds of them sending me a replacement part if I don't have my receipt.
Most "Ryobi" tools are actually Home Depot house-brand, and HD pays the Ryobi company for use of the name.
If you got it at Home Depot and you paid with a credit card, they can re-print the receipt if you bring in the card you used to buy the saw.
>>
Just joint a 2x4 and with some clamps you'll have a better fence anyway.
>>
Any chance someone else messed with it?
Kinda looks like it.
>>
>>1151561
Looks like sintered metal to me, and I didn't think you could weld that.

>>1151651 is correct.
>>
Customer service said they could help, but I'd need to take the saw to a service center. Closest one is 2 hours away, and I am not invested enough to make that drive.
I'll just make my own fence and not waste the gas/effort.
As far as I know, Home Depot only covers the first 30 Days after purchase.

>>1151658
Unlikely. I live alone, and nobody really goes into my garage without me present.
I have had friends use the saw before, buy they are all pretty well aware of how to operate a miter saw. It may have just been cracked from the start, and loosened up over time to be noticeable.
>>
>help! I bought the elcheapo miter saw from HD and it broke!

I know because I have the same one.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.