[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im thinking of building my kitchen cabinets. i was quoted $20

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Dream_Doors_cabinet2-1.jpg (28KB, 698x467px) Image search: [Google]
Dream_Doors_cabinet2-1.jpg
28KB, 698x467px
im thinking of building my kitchen cabinets. i was quoted $20 for cabinetry so i figure it would cheaper to buy the tools and wood. i understand how to make faces for cabinetry but how do i create a design thats structually sound? i want to put a solid granite counter on top. i figure too its probs best to order the doors from somewhere else?
>>
>>1151498
Dunno, man. $20 would be hard to beat for something like that.
>>
>>1151498
Offer $15 and see what he says.
>>
>>1151525
i meant to add a k, lol. $20,000 for ehats probably less than a grands worth of wood (all mdf i think except for the face and draws). actually i should of said $15,000 because that included the counter top. still thats not even with any over head cabinets or anything, just for a few under counter cabinets.

I looked at how my old kitchen was assembled as i deconstructed it so i sort of get how its done, ive watched a few youtube videos and ive looked up space and sizing standards but thats it.
If anything i want to avoid shit tier build quality but idk about design and materials
>>
>>1151527
Yeah. For $15k you could get nice materials and equip a nice home wood shop. So if you have the expertise and time, go for it. You might check out cabinetry books at a local library or bookstore, which should have all the structural and joining details you'd need. As for materials, I'd go with solid hardwood and hardwood plywood. Oak is nice, but appearance may be a consideration, and there are other options. But if you'll be painting everything, it's not a big deal so long as the wood is in good shape. Just don't expect it to produce that mirror effect in the rendering.
>>
>>1151551
i was thinking a birch front with white lacquered cupboard and draw front. with the ply and solids, how do i know where to use each one? the exposed thin part of shelfs is my concern with that but im sure other structural things need to be accounted for
>>
>>1151555
>how do i know where to use each one?
Solid wood holds fasteners better, and has slightly better flexural strength along the grain. Plywood handles multidirectional loading better, and is cheaper for large panels (where its better dimensional stability and warp resistance also help). Exposed plywood edges are an aesthetic concern, and can be more prone to damage than solid wood.

I'd use solid wood for everything exposed when doors/drawers are closed, drawer sides and back, and miscellaneous structural parts like gussets (if the framing method you choose uses them). Plywood would be good for the panels that form the overall structure of the cabinets and the bottoms of drawers. Shelves could go either way. Plywood would be more economical, but solid wood could be slightly thinner. If you go with plywood shelves, you could put a strip of solid wood along the edges to cover and protect them.

The books I suggested should have structural guidance (and a bunch of other stuff), but cabinets aren't very structurally demanding. They certainly aren't in the same league as wooden aircraft. Follow good framing techniques, make your joints tight, use suitable hardware where appropriate, and things should be fine.
>>
The house I just bought has cabinets made by the previous owner who was an older women of about 60. They aren't perfect but they are the right dimensions and structurally sound. If she can do it so can you.
>>
>>1151498
Frank Howarth on youtube did a fantastic kitchen remodel using baltic birch and some bamboo ply faces that turned out really nice.
>>
>>1151527

thats because you are paying for someones expertise and time, it takes alot of time to build cabinets especially if you have a large kitchen... if you want nice cabinets on a k-mart budget, then you better start learning woodworking, and buy all the tools you need not to mention needing maybe a few years of it to be good enough to make high quality work...

that 20k sounds like a good deal for such a large job
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.