[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Privacy fence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: 065.jpg (688KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
065.jpg
688KB, 1000x750px
Hey /diy/ I'm closing on a house in a few weeks and my first project is building a nice tall wood fence so he can run around all he wants. Any tips for helping the project go smoothly/things I need to plan for or watch out for?
>>
Get a level.
>>
Who is he?
>>
>>1151373
It's for my dog. Meant to include that.
>>
>>1151367
Use a post level.
Don't over dig your hole.
You do Not need to mix the concrete.
simply pour the powder down the hole and add a gallon of water.
>>
Always set the post in concrete, don't be a jew bury it with dirt to save money, it WILL fall.

>>1151392
This is how posts end up coming loose. Don't do this. It will never set thoroughly. Don't waste money on "post concrete," regular quikcrete is fine.
Set posts 8 feet apart, center of post hole to center of post hole. A six foot fence requires 1 1/2 to 2 feet in ground.

Mix/ pour prior and pour in while checking a post level on the post to ensure it's vertical and level. I agree, don't over dig your hole. Use a line from one end to the other, to make sure all your posts are level with each other.

Make sure the ground where you're going to build your fence is flat, if this isn't possible build a step on the fence line. Add panels and make sure they are level.

ex-fencing contractor
>>
>>1151367
1:Don't build one like that if you have a lot of wind or strong storms in your area. It'll catch the wind and tear it down.
2: Remember, your post must be at least 1/4th buried (eg, 6 foot fence requires 8 foot post.)
3: Ignore >>1151392. Mix your goddamned concrete and pour after you've placed your post.
4: >>1151436 says 8 feet, I preferred 6 feet between posts to minimize brace sag. Both are acceptable.
5, 6 and 7: Contact your local zoning authority and make sure it's legal. Also, if you're in an HOA, make sure the fence doesn't break your covenants. Also, make sure you have a plat for your lot. Last thing you need is to have your fence be 6 inches into your neighbor's property and have to tear it down. Finally, call your local Public Utility Commission and have them send out a surveyor. Even worse than having to relocate a fence is cutting a cable/gas/telephone/power utility line. Cutting a buried RG-11 cable will cost $500 to fix. Cutting a small fiber bundle, say a 20 strand? Closer to $10k.
>>
>>1151367
Almost for sure will be off on a few. Gather some 2x4 or cheaper scrap 1 or 2 foot pieces to fix 2 panels together. If u miss a post just nail one and then tie the next panel onto the other with 3 pieces of 2x4 on the back.
>>
>>1151367
Or dont be an autist like me. Set a string line and dig 1 hole at a time
>>
>>1151367
In your picture, which is a pretty good fence, they use 3 rails instead of 2. That is good a practice but may not be required if you are doing a shorter fence.

The rails are placed long ways up and down, which is a best practice. If you do it side to side they are more likely to sag.

Use screws instead of nails. Nails always work loose over time. Use a screw that goes completely through the fence board and into the support at least 3/4th of an inch. Any less and it will work loose over time.

Use concrete to support your posts and mix it properly before pouring it.

Ideally, you should use metal posts. Treated 4x4s are cheaper but they *will* eventually rot out. Replacing posts is a huge pain in the ass and wooden posts generally are the shortest lived portion of a wooden fence. Spend the extra dough now and save hassle later.

Dirt touching wood is bad. Be careful to have a gap between the bottom of your fence boards and the dirt. If your dog digging under the fence is a concern then put in a kick board under the fence boards that touches the dirt. Picture related. It's a sacrificial board and is pretty easy to replace as it rots out and saves having to replace the fence boards because their bottoms rot.

Use properly treated screws for the job. Weeping screw holes make fences look like shit as they age. Also, if the screws start rusting the heads will sometimes pop off. Same with nails of course.

Use at least 2 screws per fence board, per rail. So, for a fence like in your picture, 6 screws per board. Use 3 screws per board, per rail if you go with old school wide fence boards. So will say its overkill but I've seen enough shitty fences fall apart to know it is not.
>>
>>1151499
>Use at least 2 screws per fence board, per rail.
Oh, I forgot to mention *why* you should do this. The first is obvious: to support the weight of the fence board properly. The second is less obvious: warping. The more screws you have in the wood the less likely the board is to warp and cup as it is exposed to the elements.
>>
The absolute #1 most important thing in fence building it that the top is in a perfectly straight line. You can't have each plank all different heights. You need to tie a string extremely tight across the top and put each fence post up to the height of that string. That way the top line of the fence will be perfectly straight.
>>
File: posthole.gif (8KB, 182x376px) Image search: [Google]
posthole.gif
8KB, 182x376px
>>1151367
wood in concrete nty
pic related for how to properly install fence posts
>>
>>1152000
I aint digging 5 foot through sand rock by hand just to mount 4x4 yuh cuck
>>
>>1151367
buy the ready made fence sections from your big box store.

a completed job is better than a 4chan post asking how to do something
>>
>>1151368
Anyone got the pic of that anons fence that was all janky between two buildings?
>>
>>1151436
This.

Also I worked with a contractor that went as far as to coat the end of the post that was going in concrete with tar to seal it, not sure if that really helps in the long run but damn did he build some stocky fences

he also used 6x6 posts (they were freakin heavy)
>>
>>1151367
Talk to your new neighbors about the fence. You may be able to get them to kick in a portion of the costs (because it is their fence too, in a way) and it is only polite. This is also when you can find out if there is a property-line problem but you should have nice exact maps since you are buying the place.
>>
>>1152141
Get an auger ya mong, rent one
>>
>>1152160
You don't build the fence on the property line. It goes slightly to one side and that is the person who pays for/owns/maintains the fence
>>
>>1152160
>well Howdy tha, Noo Neighba! Imma Build me BIG FENCE - stops the sun and mexicans, hahah, whaatsthat? oh, your wifes Part-Mexican?, nevermind! - anyway, lets my bigass critter run loose and bark like a fuckin madman @ y'all all fuckin day and night, now, y'all don want all bit n shit, howsbout, y'all help PAY ME for this here Wall o Mine..?
I'd find out if it was a good hood for dawgs 1st. Then close. Then worry bout the fence.
>>
bury shipping crates in the ground along the fence line to prevent your dog digging under the fence. Now weld steel H section as posts to the room of the containers and weld 10mm steel plate between them. Use the containers as a fall out shelter.

Don't use wood, useless in a nuclear war, you will emerge from your bunker with zombies in your garden, with this solution, you will emerge into a ready made fortress ready to defend your land.
>>
>>1152000
That's good for deck support, decks that are braced to something else to not move laterally. However, fences have to stand up to wind, and that little metal bracket isn't going to hold up to laterally forces for very long. The post itself being in the ground will stand up to those forces for decades.
>>
What's the best way to build a fence on sloping ground?
>>
to avoid the fort look of the walls and like you're trapped inside, I prefer shadowbox designs.. it also lets air flow thru better and gives you a sense of space vs confinement
>>
>>1151367
>>1151380
Don't build a compound fence. Your neighbors will hate you as do myself and neighbors hate the city folk who move up here and build 6 foot wood fences like in your picture.
>>
sorry to hijack thread, but what's the best privacy fence to build if you live in an area where it snows a lot? I live in minnesota and it seems like fences aren't as much of a thing here. nobody on my block has a fence and the back yard feels like you're in a fish bowl. I would imagine a lot of standard privacy fence designs aren't practical due to snow drifting against the fence with prevailing winds and gradually pushing the fence over with its weight. always figured that's why so many people don't bother with a fence. ideas?
>>
File: DSCN0547.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0547.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
Here is my stupid neighbors fence. They have two guard dogs, have no idea why as we live in the woods! They bark non stop and the fence makes everyone in the neighborhood think he is scared of something. Fence is also illegal
>>
File: DSCN0548.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0548.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
second pic
>>
File: xE1voj1[1].jpg (69KB, 606x404px) Image search: [Google]
xE1voj1[1].jpg
69KB, 606x404px
>>1153311
>two guard dogs, have no idea why
>>
>>1153316
no drug making going on. Staties have already been over there a bunch plus the town.
>>
>>1153311
>Innawoods
>Pics of subdivision
>>
>>1151449
Plus, speaking as an ex-surveyor, house surveys are the easiest shit in the world. Give those poor guys a break, hacking through swamps all summer is the fucking worst.
>>
>>1153311
How the fuck is the fence illegal and what do you have against it?
>>
>>1153901
wrong way, owner should be the one looking at the shitty side of it.
>>
File: pEUfLBm.jpg (445KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
pEUfLBm.jpg
445KB, 2448x3264px
>>1153901
>>1154371
rails should go on the inside, so there's no steps to assist an intruder climbing over.
>>
>>1154398
It's also easier to fix when the bracing is facing the owner. No need to get permission to go tramping through someone else's property just to replace a board or post.
>>
>>1152000
um yeah, not for a fence. this is for a deck post or a porch post. first strong wind that blows along will rip the post right out of that metal bracket.
>>
>>1154404
In most locations in the world a fence has to be entirely on your property and give you room to maintain the fence from within your property.

>>1153291
Minnesotan here. Every person on my block has a privacy fence. Just note that sinking the posts a foot in the ground does fuckall. Rent a ground auger and go down 4 feet and sink a 4x4x10 for a 6 foot fence.
>>
File: post.jpg (77KB, 496x693px) Image search: [Google]
post.jpg
77KB, 496x693px
the way to do it.
>>
>>1156023
Haha, no. In most places you can build a fence right on the properly line. You can built it exactly on the properly line if you have permission but then its a shared fence and not "yours" anymore.
>>
>>1154398
Can someone explain this pic to me?
>>
File: 1490554316097.gif (36KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490554316097.gif
36KB, 720x720px
>>1156071

That's an optical solution...
>>
>>1156023
>In most locations in the world a fence has to be entirely on your property and give you room to maintain the fence from within your property
No, as the fence is installed on property lines, and maintained by both owners. This is commonly how it's done in the states at least.
>>
>>1156158
Tell that to DRUMPF
>>
>>1156180
I'm sorry you must be mistaken. We're talking about a residential privacy fence. Not a wall designed to strengthen our borders and stop the stream of cheap brown labor that has negatively effected our economy.
Of course that is politics and we already have a board for that. I suggest you take your unpatriotic ass there and feel free to discuss your unwarranted disdain for our 45th president with them.
>>
>>1156194
He's not my president
>>
>>1156195
>He's not my president
I remember when this statement simply meant you are not a US citizen.
Now it's the butthurt battle cry for delusional libtards.
Which one are you?
>>
My advice: don't use the prefab fence panels. Much much easier to hide that your posts are off by an inch here or there and to cut at the appropriate angle to any slopes in the yard. Can also get fancier spacings or designs if you're so inclined.

Big plus, you can buy the vertical pieces already preinished or prefinish em yourself so all you gotta do is bring in the nail gun and then admire your work. Not to mention quality of finish done in factory or nice workspace versus slapped on paint or varnish rushing to just finally be done with the damn thing.

If your dog is anything like mine I'd bury metal chicken wire between posts to stop digging.
>>
>>1156198
I'm an Ozzy shitposter mate, relax
>>
>>1156194
>a wall designed to strengthen our borders and stop the stream of cheap brown labor that has negatively effected our economy.
oh the lulz...

but yeah typically the fence is anywhere from 6 to 12 inches inside your property line. but I guess each municipality might have their own rules or if you live out in the rural area no rule at all.
>>
>>1156158

I'm not putting one bent cent into that eyesore of a heap you threw up one week into living in the neighborhood. Only fence in the area and somehow finds this a point of pride.
>>
>>1156158
I don't know where you are, but as a MI resident, there is no putting a fence on the property line. It must be inside the property line of the home owner putting the fence up. If you put a fence up on the line, and the neighbor doesn't like it, they're legally allowed to tear it down.

My gramps had that happen. Dick neighbor tried putting a fence on the property line. Uncle pulled the posts out of the ground and threw them back at the neighbor. Police backed my uncle and gramps.
>>
>>1151368
dont forget string!
>>
>>1156227
>Police backed my uncle and gramps

police getting involved in a civil matter.
Why do people need to lie on this board?
>>
>>1157574
it's not an insane situation.
The police would be called due to the perceived criminal destruction of property/trespass. Lawsuits and the like come later.
>>
>>1156227
if it's on the line then how was the neighbor being a dick?
>>
>>1156049
>build a 2 foot tall "fence" with a wood spike on top
>not retarded

Pick one
>>
>>1157591
if its on the property line, both parties own the fence. That means the person who didn't build it has every right to take down the fence.
>>
>>1158883
Not exactly. One party still owns the fence but you cannot build on another person's property. Ergo, the property owner can remove the illegally placed item (the fence.)
>>
>>1157629
Boy that's a cutoff section for the purpose of explaining the detail.
>>
>>1152160
>build a fence at your border and make your neighbor pay for it
I think I've heard it already
>>
File: fdn_wall_footing.gif (4KB, 516x173px) Image search: [Google]
fdn_wall_footing.gif
4KB, 516x173px
>>1157629
'tard, that "spike" is a standard drafting technique to show the post continues up but its not important to the detail being shown. there is no need in this detail to show the full height of the fence post or the fence or anything above the grass line... same as what is shown (inside red circle) in this foundation wall detail.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.