[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tinkering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
Hey /diy/ I've always been interested in learning how to tinker things from electronics to mechanical parts.

How would you all recommend I start off to learn how to tinker? It seems like a cool and useful hobby.
>>
>>1151280
Take an old computer from the side of the curb or some industry place and take it apart. Then match various parts of it to those that you find at the local hardware stores.

You can do the same thing with radios but look at what all the electronic equipment does on the inside. Things like resistors and capacitors and PNP/NPN splits, etc.

Otherwise, buy a car for $500 and learn how to fix it.
>>
>>1151280
Don't work with anything plugged into mains, I learned this the hard way, twice.
I started doing random experiments with electronics with a phone charger as a power supply, I now have an amateur electronics lab. I recommend you watching videos about the basics of electronics first, everything will make more sense.
>>
You're planning on making bombs are you ?
>>
File: 1490316952909-a.jpg (65KB, 612x1282px) Image search: [Google]
1490316952909-a.jpg
65KB, 612x1282px
>>1151405
I'm pretty sure you learned it the hard way once, the other time you obviously didn't learn shit.
>>
>>1151280
>tinker
>cool and useful hobby

taking things apart and then leaving them in a box because you lack the knowledge to put it back together properly is not a hobby
>>
>>1151280
Yeah i been shocked a lot. Recommend 12 volt onlu shit and jist tear apart old junk shit. I had a room full of vcr parts and fan motors as a kid
>>
>>1151474
Autism then. Whatever. I always enjoed it. Finally smart enough to repurpose some of it now.
>>
Just get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8WGCGQOCkE&t=1h44m18s
>>
>>1151511

(copy and paste the youtube link in the browser cause 4chan doesn't do timecodes it seems)
>>
>>1151280
if you like music then circuit bending is a fun hobby that any one can try.
you can get really good it at and make good money too, maybe even design your own boards for guitar pedals etc
>>
File: download (4).jpg (8KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
8KB, 299x168px
You could try and do what i am currently working on a portable game console. Its a niche hobby but recently the wii has been able to be trimmed down to fit in the original gameboy. If you are interested i can link you some forums. The nes or a rasberry pi is really easy to start with but if you want a challenge i recommend making a wii portable
>>
File: download (5).jpg (9KB, 301x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
9KB, 301x168px
>>1151630
>>1151280
>>
>>1151630
What kind of buttons do you use? I went with EVQQJJ05Q but they don't realy cut it for me.
>>
>>1151657
I use the pcb of a third party controller. I cut up the pcb and use the rubber that was originally from controller so you retain the original button feel. I get home in an hour so and ill add a picture of what i mean
>>
File: 20170327_145308_HDR-1.jpg (974KB, 2521x1984px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_145308_HDR-1.jpg
974KB, 2521x1984px
>>1151657
>>1151664
So i cant find the rubber bit but i would solder that to the motherboard or whatever so i can use original buttons
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.