[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electroplating at home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: cheb.png (762KB, 742x427px) Image search: [Google]
cheb.png
762KB, 742x427px
Has anyone electroplated anything at home for viable usage? In the past, I've plated copper and zinc onto a lot of tools and other outside objects to prevent rust. Copper plating also looks really nice after a few months of corrosion because of that green effect.

Anyway, this board tourist from /o/ has a giant sheet metal of titanium and want to try to do some titanium electroplating since copper sucks with paint and zinc flakes too easily under extreme conditions.

Any strong galvanisation techniques are greatly appreciated. I plan to use the titanium salt + ammonium chloride / hydroxide plating method and compare it to a dilute electroplating solution of nitric acid etcher.
>>
>>1151200
never electroplated anything at home but sounds interesting post pics
>>
Titanium is very difficult to plate because it is both cathodic and annodic
>>
It's like trying to plate with aluminum. Outside of a molten salt bath at an insane temperature all you'll do is break apart water molecules because the electrons don't have the strength to break apart the metal's bonds.
>>
>>1151239
You can do it with a highly basic solution or strong acidic medium that strips plated metals whilst depositing from the available salts.
Of course, that just means you'll produce a lot of hazardous waste bulk solution after you're finished plating which offers industry no financial advantage over regular zinc plating.

Apparently the thread I tossed up on /o/ says that zinc plated cars are actually a common thing and have withstood rust much better than others. Maybe zinc plating is not as flakey as I had originally thought.
Think I'll try my hand at large item zinc plating, then.

>>1151247
I get your point and your metaphor. But aluminium is legitimately impossible to plate (using a an aqueous solution, anyway).
>>
>>1151249
Zinc plating is the original plating

Have you ever heard of "galvanized steel"? It is the original "stainless"

Galvanized is zinc plated steel
>>
>>1151251
Yeah I'm trying to avoid the words "galvanise" and "rust" in this thread since we're talking about both electrolysis and corrosion of different metals besides just zinc and iron (respectively).
>>
>>1151254
Galvanize and galvanized steel are two very doesn't things

Galvanized refers to galvanic corrosion while galvanized steel is very specifically steel plated with zinc
>>
>>1151256
Different not doesn't*
>>
>>1151254
Btw, this thread will be up for around a week but you should get a bunch of replies before then

Don't know how fast /o/ move but /diy/ is a bored tradesman board. You normally get most replies on weekdays between 9am EST and 5pm PST with a sudden swell Saturday and Sunday morning of people trying to fix problems they caused themselves while drunk
>>
>>1151200
Who is the hot lad in the Op?
>>
File: sknife.png (87KB, 321x207px) Image search: [Google]
sknife.png
87KB, 321x207px
>>1151256
Ah we're doing this information pedantry. Yeah, I get what you mean and the confusion between galvanic corrosion and galvanisation but galvanised materials are still zinc plated in general.
Like you can theoretically have galvanized tungsten that is zinc plated tungsten.

>>1151258
Lmao I already like this place. I remember going on 420chan's /howto/ board when I was a kid getting high and copper plating hammers and knives and shit. I wonder how that place is now.
Seems like a nice enough board. I wondered why I shouldn't bost this on /sci/ but that board is just too aggressive for me sometimes. /out/ is much slower... then you have some 420chan boards like /dino/ that have the BWD thread from 2011.

>>1151268
Bruh that's taytay. How the fuck do you not know that? :T
>>
>>1151200
>Has anyone electroplated anything at home for viable usage?
Yes. never did titanium tho.
>>
>>1151304
Oh whilst I'm here. Have you ever done copper for less than 2 days and not have it plate off?
>>
>>1151278
this board is nice, as long as you actually do some research and aren't looking for a spoon feeding (which you haven't)
>>
>>1151307
huh? Copper plates in seconds/minutes.
>>
>>1152453
It does but it flakes off even with etching when exposed to the elements. I used to use them to decorate little bird houses' roofs and oxidise using weak nitric acid to give that iconic green colour. But it would only last 3 months in harsh spring rain.
It was my belief that a low ampere, slow plating allows for a more uniform distribution of a layer of metal. That long with an acidic solution etches off cathode while depositing copper.

>>1151885
Haven't looked for spoon feeding or haven't done research?
>>
>>1153441
the spoon feeding good sir
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.