[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I recently came into possession of one of these guys, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: Powermac G3 - Blue & White.jpg (4MB, 1891x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Powermac G3 - Blue & White.jpg
4MB, 1891x3000px
So I recently came into possession of one of these guys, and I was talking with said source of this kajiger about converting one to being a sleeper computer and loading it with actually good modern hardware. Now I have apparently underestimated 1998 Macintosh and their ingenuity, and I'm wondering if the internals actually would support modern hardware form factors. I've worked on computers before, but never made one to fit into something like this.

Anyway, the question really is, can you fit modern hardware into here?
IE;
Asus Strix MoBo
GTX 1070
Seasonic 550 W PSU etc
>>
>>1149479
its a box, yes you can.
>>
>>1149481
Are there any special considerations I should take on the form factor or dimensions of the parts.
>>
>>1149486
The smallest size motherboards are more than powerful enough and should easily fit in there. Measure the dimensions of the existing board and its screw holes and figure out if it fits one of the modern standards, because if it does you'll have a trivial task ahead of you. Your main concerns would be mounting the peripherals, like the hard drive(s), I/O ports, optical drive, etc. If that thing already has spaces for those then you're good to go. You'll need to make sure that modern boards' heatsinks aren't in different positions, because they might not fit beneath the existing PSU, etc. and might not be inline with the existing fan.
>>
File: Capture.png (47KB, 727x670px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
47KB, 727x670px
>>1149479
>can you fit modern hardware into here?
How the fuck are we supposed to know? You're the one with the hardware, and presumably, a ruler. Look up standard sizes for Mini/Micro ATX hardware, look up the footprints, see what you can make work.

I am about to start a quadra 950 build around a mini ATX board, saving for the hardware now. I suggest you accurately render the thing in sketchup, model your parts, and work out where shit needs to go. Give up on your normal sense of where hardware goes and get creative. You will absolutely have to install your own motherboard posts and work out how to support the cards without a frame to screw them to. You will need to shoehorn a power supply in, and wire an external IEC plug to it, because I would be very surprised if things lined up. You will need to create cables that run from your cards to the coverplates, and you'll need to cut your own cover plates, the source and affix your own interface headers (HDMI, DP erc)

. TL;DR, there is no point asking us, you're the one with the hardware, and an internet full of specs and dimensions for reference.
>>
>>1149540
..And tidy your fucking room. I'm sure it would have taken less time to clean up your fap tissues than it would have to shop them out of your pic..
>>
>>1149486
Yes. Make sure the dimensions of the parts do not exceed the dimensions of the box.
>>
File: 1Open_Power_MacG3[1].jpg (149KB, 757x840px) Image search: [Google]
1Open_Power_MacG3[1].jpg
149KB, 757x840px
>>1149479
Pi Zero would fits in a G3* case
>(*your mac may not be a G3, other model Macs are/were available)
>>1149486
special dimensional considerations..? - make sure, your new mainboard is smaller than your old case (they dont so fold so good) - or, you'll need to dremel a hole and leave a bit sticking out. Pi Zero, like I said - you could run a command-line torrent server or some other useless shit.
>>1149551
I just said that already.
>>
A modern motherboard will fit on it, but the G3 had completely nonstandard mounting holes/PSU.
You can't do it clean and nondestructively, but you can do it. Just look up powermac g3 mods..
>>
File: uwotmIIX.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
uwotmIIX.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>1149560
> actually good modern hardware
> Pi Zero
>>
>>1149479
Check the screw holes against a spare board. If they line up, it's just standard atx form factor.
>>
>>1149479
Never understood the "sleeper" computer term. What... like some kids gonna come over and race you in bootup time?... fuckin nerds...
>>
>>1149571
[x] - fits in G3 case
[x] - modern
[x] - job done
>[ ] - actually good
..ok, its a bust.
>>
>>1149479
looks like a micro atx mobo might be in order
mounting holes likely will not line up... likely will have enough room for graphics card, but optical drive probably will not fit due to vertical orientation of ram on modern mobos. pretty sure you can sneak an ssd and a 3.5 in there, psu likely cant stay in that spot either... probably have to move psu to front of case, vent out bottom.

lots of fabrication, nothing will fit stock
>>
>>1149560
Shoving a Pi into a G3 case is a fucking disgrace.
>>
>>1149479
Came out in 1999, not 1998.
>>
>>1149668
>a fucking disgrace.
you spellt 'improvement' wrong there
>>
>>1149560
But why a single pi zero? You could easily fit ten pi3s in there, so I can understand making a pi array like that EEVblog guy. But a single pi zero? FFS a fish tank is a better use of a macintosh case.
>>
File: IMG_20150918_021226879.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150918_021226879.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1149790
what would you even do on a pi cluster? aside from specialized cluster programming, I can see why a single pi zero wouldn't suffice.
>>
>>1149790
SINGLE Pi? WHY? TRIGGERED.

kek - sadly I just ditched my last G3 (well, few years ago now, but anyway) - Protools setup, cards and all, moving, stressed and zero time; fuck it, scrapper - otherwise, I'd done the G3 Zero Mod, just to annoy people. G3's a gaudy & ugly piece of trash anyway, only old hardware ever maybe regretted ditching are top-of-line (then..) ASUS PC boards with ISA slots, lots of. Fuckers costa fortune now, becos ISA. And case modding be a taste crime of itself, usually - SGI Octanes, built like funky tanks, mebbe, also got a breathtaking Sony PC thing bout the size of a dining table, thats just too nice to gut tho.

But anyway, tldr - when you can do more or less everything with 25W draw and a Marlboro size box, not seeing enough in a G3 to justify continued existence, personally - an (original) iMac G3 fishtank, with internally floating waterpoof case Pi? - now you talking.
>>
>>1149760
It said 1998 on the back of the computer, likely when it was finished being designed and patented.
>>1149829
Are you okay?
>>1149645
The bay they sit in is a solid chunk, but I could probably take the bay out, leave the face plate on, and mount an SSD in vertically along the front side there.
I don't know where the power button wires are going to go or if I'll have to pry all that out and put in a new power button fitting.
I can't tell if the PSU is the same rough size as new PSU's or how different it is though, so I think I'll try and get some mockups and make them out of styrophome and stick them in there to see where things will fit.
>>
>>1149788
You "spellt"...nvm... too easy
>>
PowerPC is the future
>>
Just buy a cheap ATX case. These are a pain to deal with.
>>
File: 4L_HyG5UtpP.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
4L_HyG5UtpP.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
Do it anon. I did it with a G4 and I love it.
I'm not sure how different a G3 would be but all I had to do was cut some holes for the fans and drill in some standoffs for the motherboard.
>>
File: 4L_oAezx190.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
4L_oAezx190.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
>>1149479
By the looks of your pic you can totally do it.
Power supply's are the same size. Mini tax motherboard will fit perfectly and a decent sized gpu should fit right into the pci slots.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.