[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I wanna build a carport. Live in the middle of nowhere Tx

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: thehorror.png (473KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
thehorror.png
473KB, 1920x808px
So I wanna build a carport. Live in the middle of nowhere Tx so don't have to worry about permits or shit like that. My neighbor left his wife here while he went oil rigging, didn't really see her and the wife finally left. They left a carport there and it's been months since they've been back. Went over and realized i want one.

How would one make one and what would be the cost? I don't need it to be flashy just something to keep the cars out of the damn sun and wind.
>>
How many cars do you have? I'd build it so you have at least a couple feet of space between each car and the wall. I'd throw on some wooden walls for protection from the sun/wind etc. Concrete or gravel for the floor, whichever you prefer. For the main supports, I would probably use metal piping or something like that, so you won't have to replace them in 10 years. This site has some decent info : http://diyinahour.com/diy/building-a-carport/
>>
>>1149339
We have 3 but it'll just be for 2. Gravel seems like the easier option (farm land so as long as it's not muddy it's fine) . Thanks for the info and the site I"ll check it out.
>>
File: IMG_1106.jpg (130KB, 750x483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1106.jpg
130KB, 750x483px
>>1149335
My neighbor put up a carport and the whole thing was destroyed by Pittsburgh wind within a year. Next they got a thick boxed metal one and it has been here like 6 years now. Pic is not theirs but similar. If you buy a big one for multiple cars then be sure there is thick steel.
>>
>>1149359
live on farm land with almost no trees so it's constantly windy. We tried car covers but they disintegrate in this heat and the wind just batters them so we are looking for a more stable answer.

Would treated wood do well? It doesn't rain that much here it's just hot, humid and windy. From looking at info it seems like it's just legs and a roof with a wall.
>>
>>1149478
it needs a deep concrete foundation for the posts OP if you are going to use wood.
I got a wood carport and pretty sure the house would go before it in a tornado, hehe. That metal one in the pic is just sitting on cinder blocks. Hazard waiting to happen.
>>
>>1149347
>Gravel seems like the easier option

Get crushed asphalt if you can. It's easy to handle (I've manually raked out several truckloads on my property) and makes an excellent driveway. Grasses eventually grow through it so it stays cooler than pavement, it drains well, and it's usually cheap.
>>
6x6 treated posts
bags of concrete
2x6 - 2x8 rafters and beams
5/8" plywood
roofing felt
shingles
fasteners

Put that together in the correct order and number of items and you have a carport
>>
>>1149335
Just know that some bumfuck counties buy arial map transparencies every year just looking to ding people for unpermited structures... just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>1150685
Tin roofing with some rolled on rust stop paint is cheaper. What I used for mine. 2x6 for frame and rafters and 4x4 for post. 1x2 over rafter for tin to screw down. Put post 4 foot in ground never used concrete.

I'd prolly use tin on the sides if I put sides up and paint it every 3 or so years. Cheap.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.