[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Baseboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

hey /diy/ I'm doing custom baseboard for my house (slowly, just in my spare time) and I have 2 things I want opinions on:

1) baseboard design. I already have a good router and router table I just need to pick the bits.

2) finish nailer. I need to buy one. Is there any reason to look at any company besides paslode? Also isn't just a 16 guage good enough for everything? I guess I would use an 18 for the shoe molding if I had one, but I don't think it's necessary to get a whole kit of finish nailers if I can get away with using the 16 everywhere.
>>
>>1149197
1) Wrong tool. Look into a shaper. Unless your baseboards are tiny and not like your picture.

2) Overkill bro. What you are looking for is called a "hammer", not a finish nailer. You want one with a smooth face and probably about 12 oz. Then get a nail sink of the right size of the nail heads you plane to use. If you plan on staining the baseboards, apply the putty over the nail heads *after* you stain. Make sure it matches the stain. If you plan on painting the baseboard, apply the putty before you paint.
>>
>>1149213

Listen to this man. Finish nailers are for lazy degenerates and jam all the fucking time (ugh..).
>>
File: collins0025.jpg (578KB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
collins0025.jpg
578KB, 3872x2592px
>>1149213
Yeah I thought about getting a shaper, but it's overkill for my situation. I will go with whatever (most elaborate) design I can get away with using the router. I'm planning on painting it, so no staining should be needed. I only have 8' ceilings so I can really only go with a total height of 6" for the baseboard.
>>
>>1149213
>>1149221
Link to this hammer tool? I never heard of it (assuming you don't mean hand nailing it). I've installed baseboard before but we always used a paslode, but it didn't belong to me.
>>
>>1149197
2. Or senco
>>
>>1149213
Everythings right except the Finnish Nailer. Use one if you got it. If you're running 200 linear feet of base, it would be retarded not to, and you'll quickly find out why. And what he's talking about is a trim hammer with finnishing nails. Or you can use a ball pein hammer, either or will work.
>>
>>1149275
Who in their right mind will bring in a nailer from Finland? Just get one of those air powered finish nailers. However, if you're going to hammer, the type hammer doesn't matter, use a punch to sink the nails.
>>
>>1149197
Keep in mind coping could be a bitch if you have some overly intricate base board to make and install.

Honestly most brands of pnuematic nailers are fine as long as they're not the $15 no name special. I always file down the drivers to the size of nail head to reduce the size of the hole to putty.

Sencos are amazing but may be a little pricey for a weekend warrior.

15 or 16 gauge either is fine. I found 18gauge brads work well for nailing the corners of your miters so you don't bust up the corner bead.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.