[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT. Dead / Discharged Car Battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Car-Battery.jpg (72KB, 1050x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Car-Battery.jpg
72KB, 1050x1008px
Today I found that the car battery was either dead or discharged. I just talked to a technician and he ended up taking it to check it out and will either bring me the same one or a new one.

I would like some help from people that know their stuff on finding what could've caused this and why:

- The car hadn't been used in around 3 weeks. During this time nothing happened to it.

- I noticed something strange and this been puzzling me: Theres this disk player thing below the stereo where you would insert the CD through a little entrance. When I got on I noticed it was on and said entrance was opening and closing automatically, also all the lights on the Disk tray were turning on and off, this happened non stop. It also made the sound as if it was trying to read a disk every time the disk tray thing opened.

- Whenever I inserted the key and tried to turn them the Disk player I mentioned above would shut down and stop its continuous movement. Also, once I rotated them fully (to turn the car on) the same thing happened, Disk player would stop its continuous work.

- The battery is almost brand new. It was acquired last year around June. Since then, no issue's been had.

- No other thing was turned on inside the car. Only the disk player thing. This wasn't turned on by me last time I used the car. Like I said, It didn't even work.

Thats pretty much it.

What could've been the cause of this battery malfunction?

Why is it that I found that disk player working continuously? Could it be the cause of the battery discharge? Or is this something that happens when a battery fails (it could turn on certain things inside the car, etc)?

Could 3 weeks of not turning on the car cause the dead of a battery?

Help?
>>
>>1148984

3 Weeks generally won't kill a new battery but it is getting on the border of how long you would want to go without starting it or trickle charging it.

Obviously the stereo has been cycling on and off and this has fucked your battery. It might be a shitty earth somewhere, or some other loose wire.

Unless the battery is a deep cycle one, its fucked, get a new one.
>>
>>1148997

So I am having some trouble here, kind of a chicken or the egg thing.

Could the battery failure have triggered this disk player malfunction? Or did the disk player malfunctioned somehow and this discharged the battery?

Also, related to your first point, why does not using the car could discharge a battery?
>>
>>1148984
>Could 3 weeks of not turning on the car cause the dead of a battery?

Depending on what make and model the cars is, yes.
Newer cars have electronics connected to the battery and drawing a small amount of power at all times.

The CD player issue is probably related to the low voltage. It changed while you were trying to start the car because the key position affects accessories and because with the low battery any change in the key position changed the minimal voltage left.

Use it more often or put a maintainer on it when it's stored.
>>
>>1148998

Batteries self discharge plus depending on the type of car it probably has some electronics that are drawing a small amount of current, even when off.

Your stereo is probably fucked and caused the issue.

This isn't a big mystery - just get a new battery. IF the stereo is still fucked, fix it. If not, congrats, it was the battery that was fucked somehow.
>>
File: idio.png (38KB, 499x338px) Image search: [Google]
idio.png
38KB, 499x338px
The CD player has been cycling on and off for three weeks with no charge going to the battery. What do you think drained it?
>>
>>1149004

I don't think I ever pointed on that direction. I actually listed many things that could've been the reason WHY it was drained.

But you didn't read the thread did you?
>>
>>1149006
>car hadn't been used
>disk player was on
>battery was new
Yeah, a whole lot of other possibilities you listed there.
>>
>>1149020

Doesn't seem like you read the thread then.

That or you just don't know what you are talking about.

>>1148997
>>1149001

These guys did.

I actually listed three possibilities.

>Not using the car in a considerable amount of time

Which could discharge the battery.

>The disk thing

Another one. Which could've been triggered by something else.

>Battery was new

Not exactly new. Still, there's the possibility of malfunction.

Dude, like, this is pretty basic logic stuff. It makes me cringe to have to explain all of this to you when my request was pretty self explanatory in the OP.
>>
>>1149029
Three weeks isn't shit for a battery unless something is actively draining it. You've had the battery since June, you would've known well before now if it was a dud. The CD player drains power while the car is off, then shuts down when power is directed elsewhere.
>Like I said, It didn't even work.
Unless you forgot to mention how you played memory with the relays after your last drive, the motherfucker is obviously draining your battery.
>>
>>1149033
>Three weeks isn't shit for a battery unless something is actively draining it.

Car battery is around 50 amp-hours capacity. Three weeks is about 500 hours. So 0.1 Amps will kill a battery easily. That's like one dome light or a brain-dead CD player.
>>
>>1149227
Woah, you're telling me batteries die when they're being drained? I guess there's no problem at all, just a dud battery OP. Buy a new one and try again.
>>
adding water did the trick for me.

spent and bought a new one anyway.

replaced it today
>>
Whenever a battery goes flat I just charge it back up. Have you tried charging it?
>>
An audio system should be wired to come on and off with the ignition key, which can be in the Accessory position when not running the engine but you want music.

A useful trick when troubleshooting such fucking annoyances is a Wirth or other knife switch for the GROUND side of your battery. (Do not use an open knife switch on the + side lest ye short something to it by accident!)

https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-20148-Battery-Doctor-Switch/dp/B000CQDRP2

is an example. They make a variety and they are totally worth using. They are also convenient for disconnecting the battery during maintenance.
>>
>>1149338
>batteries die when they're being drained

Car batteries don't take deep discharges well. It may tolerate a few but then it's dead.
>>
>>1149525
>An audio system should be wired to come on and off with the ignition key,

Mostly, yes. I have a CD player that will draw in an inserted CD even if ACC is off. It won't play it, but if there is something stuck in the microswitch that senses a disc I could see it cycling forever.
>>
>>1149513
i just buy a new cell phone when the battery dies
>>
>>1148984
Pull fuse for head unit. If battery doesnt die again inspect wiring to head unit. If good replace head unit.

If battery still dies try other fuses til you find the circuit that kills the battery.

Sounds like a slow drain. Another common cause is a door switch going bad which causes the dome light to stay on cause the car thinks the door is open.

Could also be a bad ground, which could seem like a dead battery.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.