[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cigarette Case type thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

ok so heres my dilemma:

i want to find a box that i can get like 30+ of. I want it to have a hinged lid of some sort. It needs to be a certain inside dimension, and then the outside should be no bigger than it needs to be. The dimensions i need are remarkably close to cigarette case dimensions. so i looked at a bunch of those and nothing really works plus im worried about incompatability like if the corners are rounded inside then my interior dimension isnt right.

i started looking at maybe trying to get something custom made on a website but that seemed real confusing.

i want a box metal or plastic- something durable but thin, similar to pic related, but with the internal dimensions of 100mm tall 70mm wide 30mm deep with some kind of hinged overlapping lid. can u recommend how i can either produce or procure this item, keeping in mind that id like 30 of them so if its 100 each im not trying to spend 3000 on a pile of boxes but at the same time i dont want to just make boxes out of duct tape like some third worlder- i do have money.

is 3d printing an option im failing to consider i assume it might be too brittle and maybe not capable of producing durable hinges

also i would really love to have color options if not every case a unique color so consider that as well.

help plz and thanks in advance
>>
So the easy way to go would be thin gauge metal like 20 to 22 gauge steel. Make a template for both bodies that you can brake to the shape with tight tolerances. For the lid I would buy the small hinges from those tiny craft boxes and rivet that to your lid and your bottom. They you can paint to whatever finish you like.
>>
File: box_folding_sample.jpg (49KB, 1074x800px) Image search: [Google]
box_folding_sample.jpg
49KB, 1074x800px
>>1148414
so basically can i do something liek pic related in a break or would i end up needing to make the body 2 pieces each to make a full box

im trying to imagine doing the final bends with the other sides of the box in the way possibly?

any other methods i could try that wouldnt require a break

would finishing a metal box be more difficult than a plastic option, i dont want it to look like shit and i want to make a lot of them
>>
I can only really speak for the 3d printing part. I don't know exactly what this is for and what physical properties it would need, but I would not worry about a *WELL DESIGNED* part breaking. You can print hinges in place pretty easily, too. Again, I don't know what sort of forces we're talking about, but it's really easy/cheap to get a mockup made by some nerd on the interweb.
>>
File: 3d_view_paper.jpg (4MB, 4960x3466px) Image search: [Google]
3d_view_paper.jpg
4MB, 4960x3466px
>>1148427
imagine that this is going to essentially be a replacement for a paper pack of cigarettes. so like if it was in my pocket and i was working and leaned on it while doing something labor intensive or if it was between me and something i was holding, or in a kinda tight pants pocket while you did something that made your pants tight enough for shit in your pocket to kinda bother your leg as it digs in.

i all about a 3d printing solution if it can be done in a manner that is sturdy and doesnt look like shit. whats up with colors and 3d hinges

i also considered a fiber glass option

id like it and its parts to take as little space as possible so like a rivet might add a mm of height to any given side unless i can some how counter sink those

i also didnt mention that id really like it to have some form of closing mechanism like a pair of thin magnets or a dimple and nipple or some other simple means of closing

as a gift here is a piece of paper i just made for when i start drawing designs up inevitably cause i couldnt find one on google images
>>
File: wp_ss_20170320_0002.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170320_0002.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1148368
Have you never watched James bond? Do you not remember that cigarette cases are a thing and a fashion item?
>>
File: 20170321_000221~01.jpg (360KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_000221~01.jpg
360KB, 1080x1920px
>>1148433
You mean like the tins they used to sell american spirits in?
>>
>>1148436
Just checked ebay and you can buy them 3 at a time for around 11 bucks plus shipping.
>>
>>1148435
as noted in the initial thread, it needs an interior volume of 100mm x 70mm x 30mm and a flip/hinged lid (top not front face) as per OP image

i looked at tons of cig cases some were super cool but none fulfilled my requirements. desu i was disappointed that i couldnt find one with the right dimensions or a custom place for them cause those looked really nice all the sick metal ones with fancy shit attached, and they do a good job of keeping all the hardware/materials very thin. comparing the thickness of a tin real cig case vs 1/4 thick acrylic or 1/8 leather or however thick a 3d printed container would need to be - the cig case materials have smaller footprints i think based on google image searches

>>1148436
im about to look up the dimensions of pic related but it clearly suffers from the "rounded corners" issue i mentioned in the OP

according to ebay its 3.5" x 2.5 x 1.125 and i need ~ 4" x 2.75" x 1.125" (100x70x30)mm
>>
>>1148448
Do the math then dummy. Just make it out of Luanne plywood and titebond 3. Infact just make something. You have the dimesions, and you know what you want. Why havent you made ot yet instead of doing all this extra shit. If you want a project, just keep improving the design until you are absolutely satisfied with the case for your 100 mm cigarettes.
>>
>>1148448
Why dont you give the internal dimensions of the case, unless thats what you already gave. In that case if you have the dimensions just wing it and go slowly.
>>
>>1149056
internally 100mm x 70mm x 30mm
externally no bigger than necessary- smallest footprint possible is desired.

it isnt actually for cigarettes its just the best way to perceive my end goal

regarding woodposter my issue is that i fear wood will need to be too thick to be durable. i cant do no maths til i figure out some good approaches. plus wood is like abrasive like im imagining putting a wooden box into and out of my pocket and just picturing all my pocket fuzz getting caught up on the wood edges/ roughness

>>1148448
atm we are considering options made from metal, wood, plastic, 3d print, leather, fiberglass

in addition to existing products such as cig cases, jewelry cases, various tins

whos internal dimensions must be no less than 100mm x 70mm x 30mm or approx 4" x 2.75" x 1.25" even at the corners- rounded corners would trespass into my internally assigned 100x70x30 requirement. as would rivets, screws, and some hinge designs
>>
File: case_example.jpg (103KB, 1000x1082px) Image search: [Google]
case_example.jpg
103KB, 1000x1082px
>>1149138
these 100x70x30 boxes will be used to hold various expensive and fragile tools, dozens of them, and then these boxes will go inside of a second case that will be made with internal pockets designed to accept these smaller cases in a fashion similar to pic related. i cant order the large case til i have a finalized design for the individual cases
>>
>>1149138
>>1149140
Okay seriously what are you putting in the boxes that will later go into a larger box. Just take a picture and stop being vauge.
>>
>>1149527
Just give up and fill out your bingo card
>>
>>1149528
Lol blackout
>>
>>1149527
regardless of the contents, the internal dimensions and desires go unchanged

for the record it will contain a variety of test kits for metal typing. each case will hold an eye dropper, a small bottle of fluid, and a piece of cloth in a pre existing foam inset with the size of 100x70x30

so i require a container with 100mm x 70mm x 30mm internally, hinged lid, that has as small of a footprint as possible and wont look like shit when i open it up in front of paying customers. it must have a light closin mechanism like a magnet or a nipple and dimple to hold the lid closed lightly. something similar to image from OP.

atm my only options sound like arts and craft projects that will come out looking like arts and crafts projects.

i want a sleek looking small container that i can get dozens
>>
>>1150087
you want 3d printing.
Shapeways (if you think you can look through tutorials and design on your own) or MakeXYZ or similar. The second option there could just be a way to put you in contact with someone with a printer who can work out a design for you. Then you get them to print up as many as you need. A pocket-sized box with a lid that snaps shut should be well within the reach of many designers and makers.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490388549443.jpg (11KB, 720x1083px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490388549443.jpg
11KB, 720x1083px
>>1148368
I made this for myself. Fits 20 cigarettes.
4mm plywood, 4 matches and a bit of glue.
Picture is photoshopped on it. Not sure, if it helps.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490388521153.jpg (7KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490388521153.jpg
7KB, 720x478px
>>1150239
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.