[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poster Frame 48"x72"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: framing this.jpg (108KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
framing this.jpg
108KB, 960x1280px
Newfag here, never did any /diy/, I need some help with framing this poster.
I picked this up from a local ad agency for free. At the time, it seemed like a great idea, just for the novelty of having a limited print large advertising poster.
I went to Michael's yesterday and asked about buying a frame for it, and the lowest price I was quoted was $500 bucks. Now I /know/ it could be done for a lot less, so I've come here for help.
Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
>>
Did you want a frame like the one in your pic or something you could put on your wall?
>>
>>1147908
Something I could put on my wall.
>>
There's a few ways, lot of it depends on if you want it to be able to be taken out of the frame later and kept intact, or if its ok to be a permanent fixture which can't be removed.
Also a materials budget and tools you might have will help
>>
File: crown-mouldings-05.jpg (20KB, 413x266px) Image search: [Google]
crown-mouldings-05.jpg
20KB, 413x266px
>>1147909
What I would do is go to the hardware store and buy some wood moulding like pic related and cut the corners so that they fit together in a rectangle shape big enough for the poster, then glue them together. Would also need glass to cover the poster. Then get some thinner pieces of wood to put on the edges of the moulding, and to hold the poster and glass in place. Then use a piece of cardboard to cover it, and use something to hold cardboard in place.
>>
>>1147914
Back would look like this
>>
File: frameback.jpg (26KB, 691x523px) Image search: [Google]
frameback.jpg
26KB, 691x523px
>>1147914
>>1147915
Forgot pic, sorry for spam
>>
File: example.jpg (113KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
113KB, 2000x2000px
>>1147910
I'd like to be able to take it out of the frame, in case I move.
>budget
As I said, the price I was quoted for a custom frame was $500, so I'm looking to build it for about $250-350.
>materials
A light metal frame with plexiglass is what I'd like it to be. Something like pic related. If that's not feasible, or too hard to work with, I'd be willing to use wood.
>tools
The general stuff, screwdrivers, handsaw, power drill. Nothing for woodwork other than the saw, though. I could borrow tools from people I know.

>>1147914
>>1147916
Alright, thanks. Do you have an idea of how heavy the glass would be? Or how strong the wood would have to be to handle it?
>>
>>1147917
What you might want to look at is getting a frame kit from somewhere that sells them.
2nd option, go around the cheap stores in town that sell posters in frames, often you can pick up some really cheap frames + glass for 10-20 bucks and good to go. Your pic looks like its a big bastard though, so actually finding something it would fit into would be hard.

Generally with picture glass, they use a 1.5-2mm UV resistant one which is probably the priciest part of the whole thing if you get it cut. Acrylic glass is probably a better option if you've never cut glass yourself... learning can be 'expensive' and always a good chance of some kind of horrific injury. Just keep it out of sunlight.

In terms of the frame material, you could look down the hardware store at various mouldings and see what you like, wood is easy, aluminium not so much unless its a picture moulding.
Next on the list is a Mitre box for cutting angles, they're generally not too expensive

In terms of the backing, particle board or MDF about 2-3mm thick.
Permanent- get watered down PVA glue and use a paint roller over the top to get any bubbles out
Semi-permanent, double sided tape on the edges of the poster before it goes onto the board
>>
>>1147922
While I remember-

Spacers between the backing board and the glass/acrylic
Theres a few ways to do it, but keeping a gap between the two will be better for the life of the poster. Ideally if you can get a moulding that will have slots in it to separate the two, if you're using glass, make sure there's some rubber bungs along the inside of the edges to absorb shock, otherwise it'll blow out really easily
>>
>>1147922
>>1147925
Good stuff, thanks man, really appreciate the help. I'll swing by Home Depot or something and get some length of moulding soon.
Honestly, I wouldn't have even known what to ask for had it not been for you, thanks.
>>
>>1147893
Professional framer here; $500 sounds about right. Needs to be mounted on something like foamboard (which has to initially be oversized for the piece), then wants to be matted and put under glass (or plexi). Adds up to big bux for the framer. I'd consider doing it like an inch or two under size; they might be able to get you a better quote.
>>
>>1147922
I would NOT mount it on particle board - not unless I knew it was acid free. Everything's hunky dory gor a couple of years, then you notice weird discolored blotches from whatever's in the wood have ruined your poster. Not fun.
>>
>>1147934

If you're going the make-your-own-frame-from-framing-stock approach, I've done about 30 or 40 of them. It's not that hard if you can saw a nice neat 45 degree miter cut *AND* have an appropriate clamp. If you're on a budget, "Pony" makes a nice band clamp with 4 corners that will suffice to clamp the whole thing. Cut the 4 pieces carefully, use good glue and optionally a brad or 2 at each corner to temporarily hold it, then use the clamp while it cures. (*DO* test fit before gluing.)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.