[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Music making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

File: a3589235426_10.jpg (162KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a3589235426_10.jpg
162KB, 1200x1200px
What software or anything else?
>>
when i feel like making music i usually just pick up a hammer and start beating on the walls and the furniture while screaming

ymmv
>>
>>1147718
Learn the basics: rhythm, sound, melody
Then: do a skill check--=can you sing, or play an instrument, can keep a beat going, or at least have an idea for an interesting set of tones, etc.
Afterwards: practice that shit--try recording some of your practice sessions just to see how you sound like, also to see if you're getting better. Software: most Windows/Linux/Mac OS X or whatever you have on your computer will have a default recorder application (or 'app'); the one that comes with your smartphone will also do for this purpose.
Then: ask Google about what free and easy to learn software to use. You're looking for something called a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). With this you can record 'tracks' and edit them--google/read up on music production+sound engineering, and/or just play around with that shiny new software. If it's music creation software you want, try Googling for: synthesizer, drum machines, beat pads, whatever.
Finally: create, record, and produce your music, put it on a few CDs (whoops I mean USBs or whatever you kids use nowadays), or just upload that shit to SoundCloud or Bandcamp or whatever (or MySpace if that shit still works). Have it listened to and critiqued by fellow music-minded people. Accept feedback with an impersonal perspective--if they say something like "this sounds like the shit I shat out this morning," don't take it personally, instead ask them if they can specify what is shitty about it, like is the timing off or are the vocals flat or is the sound quality terrible, etc. so you will know what to work on. Chances are, if you pick who you will have listen to your first few tracks (ideally those who know good music or at least someone who's not just trolling you), you can really get constructive and objective feedback, which will let you learn better and improve your craft.
>>
lmms
>>
>>1148087
best version:
pirate ableton
buy a cheap midi controlled keyboard
read the manual
ask /mu/ for books on production
ask /mu/ for books on music theory
practice the keyboard

if you still like it:
go to piano classes
get a job to pay for stuff
ask teacher for reccomendations on gear
ask teacher for reccomendations on teachers for other instruments
>>
>>1148146
(ableton's manual)
seriously, its easier and more complete than watching tutorials, if you don't understand a term google for info on that term and don't keep going till you get what the manual says about said term in relation with the software
>>
>>1147718
Learn ableton and qbass and fl studio and read about theory and structure, levels and compression. Everything else is pretty much trial and error
>>
>>1147718
For hip hop you wanna get a used maschine, a good midi keyboard and something like serrato or Traktor pro scratch. That's all you need.
>>
File: 35112046.jpg (88KB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
35112046.jpg
88KB, 400x254px
I'm so glad I clicked this board:
http://hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
http://vstplanet.com/index.htm
http://vstplanet.com/Other_audio_tools/Sequencing.htm
https://lmms.io/
http://www.audacityteam.org/
http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/

use wasapi to record internal sound connect a sequencer inside vst host to a synth and record with audacity use same tempo in lmms and hydrogen for drum and synth, align tracks, re record live and overdub over the original for analog sound, mix and render, 20hz high pass 48db and 20000hz low pass 48db, leveler 75 at light, save as wav and done...
>>
>>1148180
Or just use FL Studio. Literally cut off the high frequencies for your 'lofi' meme music. Become another one of the massive collection of 'lofi' beats' artists on SoundCloud.

Tell yourself 'i am unique.'
>>
nonononono see, ya'll can't HEAR past 20000hz. nor can you hear BELOW 20 so cutting those off is getting rid of something called aliasing which is when within the daw, the computer registers frequencies you cannot hear, and this adds extra noise, and you shouldn't maximize the sound/compress it before doing that first. and also the reason why you'd want a slight background of a live version of your track is because that method adds some of that 'warmth' that digital tracks usually don't have. but you're right in the fact most lofi guys are probably like "I got an mpc, and some disks, I can do with that thank you" but I never really got usedto fl studio because it never showed me the waves of the inner synthesizer.
>>
Audacity is shit just like your retarded instructions, you should kys
>>
Audacity is just used for mixing and rendering here, I'm not saying you can create a wub or drums or a synth in audacity. You need to use other programs and vst's to so that. I'm just sayin' You are right audacity is shit, in that aspect atleast...I mean in reality DAWS are shit. I mean for real have you seen a live set with a modular? I wish I had the money for ANALOG electronic music.
>>
File: 8431259185284ac40a6dfa.jpg (66KB, 661x490px) Image search: [Google]
8431259185284ac40a6dfa.jpg
66KB, 661x490px
Hi, im not the op, but maybe someone can help me out. Im drummer, and i want to record, i know shit about audio recording. Anyways i have all the suff from pic related, (except monitor speakers) and a mic set. I connected everything like the pic, but when i open cubase dont recognize the audio coming from the mics. I try with audacity and ableton, and the sound is very very low. Saw tutorials and make the configuraton for the audio interface, but nothing. What can be the problem?
>>
>>1148555
Getting meter on your channel strips?
>>
>>1148573
Do you mean on the mixer? Im not sure wath you mean (barelly understand english) but in the mixer seems to be all right, if i plug the headphones direct on the mixer its sound well
>>
>>1147718
Free: Audacity

1 to 10usd: Ardour

+10usd; Protools
>>
>>1148555
nice trips

Is the level coming out of the mixer loud enough?
>>
if you're trying to make lofi hiphop get an sp404
>>
>>1149489
Hi, yes its seem to be right, if i conect the headphones on the mixer, sounds fine. i think the problem has to be the audio interface or some configuration in the daws, but im not sure. In the softwares , the graphic that shows the sounds caption dont do anything even when it sounds low
>>
>>1147718
Try using a musical instrument.
>>
I make music with an instrument, then use pencil and paper to write it down.
>>
>>1148578
first of all its not all that abnormal
second of all:

Ok so its not the mixer

Connect headphones to audio card monitoring shit

if you hear it right then is the pc, if you don't then is the audio card

if its the pc first check drivers, then change the usb chord
>>
>>1148290
make one
>>
>>1147718
Try fl studio. It's very intuitive
>>
>>1149032
Here poorfag. Is protools crakable? I want to try it out
>>
Hi there. I use ableton and i wanted to know what the advantages of using vst???
>>
>>1148250
>lowfi meme music

I would really like you to offer an approved genre that you can vouch for.

Because your comment is very cynical and you could say it about any genre
>>
>>1150788
For one you don't need a real instrument taking up space in your room. Less cables and connections. You can edit quickly on vsts.
>>
>>1150786
>is pro tools crackable?
>What is an iLok?

In short, no, it is not crackable.
>>
>>1151233
if ur not making nazi-wave you are basically shit
>>
>>1147718
Best thing you can invest a little cash in is a midi keyboard. Makes it so much easier to experiment with chord progressions and different sounds.
>>
is there any good software for linux? don't have to be free but would help.
>>
>>1151261
Post examples while I seig hiel furiously
>>
>>1148087
>>1151292
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>1151670
thank you for clarifying that dr stallman.
>>
>>1149032
Ardour is free too. And very good. Check out ubuntu studio to get ardour, audacity, and a bunch of other music software preinstalled with a low latency kernel. It will also work without a special sound card or interface.
>>
>>1151292
Check out ubuntu studio. It has everything you need to get started.
Also check out LMMS. Like fruity loops, but free and with a bunch of chiptune synths (and others) built in.
>>
Any recommendations for trap music making. Got a friend who want me to make a beat
>>
File: IMG_0721.jpg (128KB, 640x622px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0721.jpg
128KB, 640x622px
>>1151670
Shut the fuck up. Nobody cares.
>>
File: IMG_0761.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0761.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
get your self some hard ware.
its much more fun
>>
>>1153666
turning knobs and just creating soundscapes is a lot of fun but unless you're an enthusiast with plenty of money, you may want to wait to get into hardware
>>
File: music-instruments.jpg (90KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
music-instruments.jpg
90KB, 1000x1000px
>>1147718
How about a fucking instrument?
>>
>>1151292
lmms, bitwig, ardour, reaper
>>
>>1153678
i dont have any money.
took me years to get all of that.
been swapping bits out on eBay for a decade now.
my original set up was £10 casio crap.
that micro brute is going on eBay this sunday..
i just can't get into it.
going to get the org monologue instead.

the korg volca range is a real easy way into hardware and will only cost a few hundred.
some people really do well with a computer but I hated it
>>
>>1147718
the thing in your pic related is

the roland sp 404 sx

well worth it
>>
>>1153725
That would imply talent. Much easier to drag/drop your sick beats and copypasta other peoples samples than actually play an instrument.
>>
>>1153946
Meanwhile, I've been making exactly the sounds I want on VSTs.

I see the entertainment value of physical synths, but a DAW is much more productive.
>>
>>1154072
yeah if you have your work flow down and know what you are trying to make then software is ok.
like those kids who make vapour wave music exclusively use fruity loops.
I only had the basic ablation package and it was bland as fuck.
I think if you want to make really interesting music then guitar/effect pedals are the way to go
>>
File: reeee.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
reeee.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>1153972
>implying music production does not require talent.
>>
>>1154129
don't lie to yourself
>>
>>1154132
kys
>>
>>1154132
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YIT9JSMqIo
watch this b4 you do.
that shit didn't come from nowhere
>>
>>1154128
Nope. I go into FL studio every day with nothing in mind, because I'm not creative.

It just helps streamline your production.

And yes, I've made one (1) memewave song.
>>
>>1154454
you want to cut to the chase and swap sound clouds?
>>
>>1154471
https://soundcloud.com/nourlsleft
>>
>>1154478
https://soundcloud.com/tuopord

il have a listen in the morning.
>>
File: dobby.jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dobby.jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>1154478
dont OD on them mixtapes
>>
>>1154507
Uhh... Ok.
>>
File: 1484010411449.jpg (58KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
1484010411449.jpg
58KB, 640x625px
>>1154512
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.