[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's do a thought experiment /diy/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 1489262444800.jpg (6KB, 250x179px) Image search: [Google]
1489262444800.jpg
6KB, 250x179px
At exactly 12:00 PM, every anon that has posted on 4chan in the last three months receives a warning in a deep, unnatural voice, it says

> "You have two hours to prepare."

Before disappearing. You innately sense that you will be teleported to another world, much like earth, with an ecosystem reminiscent of prehistoric earth, and a great many abandoned, and empty ruins that haven't been occupied for at least a century.

You will be able to take 200 pounds of anything you can carry, or one person you know personally and 100 pounds of anything you can carry, with you.

When the anons are teleported, each board will receive 250 miles of untamed wilderness, with a moderately sized ruined city, containing the bare minimum needed to kickstart a medieval level civilization, to themselves.

/diy/ gets its own land, /pol/ gets its own, etc. Each anon will be teleported to the territory of the board they browse and post most frequently in, if they're divided in their posting, they go to the board they favor most.

> What, or who, do you take with you, and what is your plan to survive and start civilization?
>>
>>1147249
first, going to end up in /tg/ land.
second, this is an old, old pasta "thought experiment" and my answers are the same as they ever were.

Hammock, rain-fly, doubled tarps and a ton of stupidly strong cordage and fixings. Already together in a compact pouch.

camping mess kit, the old one and the new one which are already packed up in the aluminum pots&pans/lids. much more rope, lower quality stuff on a big spool from a failed rope bridge project. All the big steel nails/landscaping spikes that the owner left after the last time he was working on the flowerbeds. Couple hammers, sadly no sledge. wood-splitting maul. Hatchet. change of clothes along with every pair of underthings, socks and my everyday sneakers plus the camping boots.

Big kitchen knife, any small knives handy.

The remainder of my weight limit will be blank notebooks, pens, pencils, sharpeners, flashlights, more flashlights and the knee-high block of beeswax.
>gonna be the archive, aww yeah.
But really, this is not DIY
>>
I'd just take a gun and shoot myself
>>
>>1147249
What happened to the last thread? What happened to dildo worshipping civilization? What happened to the outlaw group who found a waterfall?
>>
>>1147249
Are you just posting this on every thread? As much as I'm ashamed to admit it, this thread appeared on /r9k/ earlier.
>>
>>1147249
Last time /diy/ built a self sustainable agricultural and hunter gatherer society inside a jungle with nothing but one axe one hammer and one knife.

What do you think it will happen if everyone can bring their wife or 90kg of stuff to a jungle with literal buildings for shelter or for material for new buildings?

/diy/ will just be like camping, someone will probably set up wifi and solar panels for power in a couple days, however in 2 to 3 years things will probably return to early medieval because all the high tech gadgets start breaking down, but by that time a paper library should have been established and maintained, and over the next few decades they just use the library to rebuild all the industrial capabilities of probably up to the last century, it will be like 1950s in one or two generations.

The boards will probably all have teamed up and merged into a big society, typical 4channers don't have strong ideologies or differences that divide them, in fact they all probably have more unity than north korea.

Also taking the data from https://www.4chan.org/advertise,
we have
>Unique visitors per month: 27,700,000
so let's say we have 28 million 4channers that got teleported, plus let's say 50% will take another person, making us a 42 million strong animu loving country. To put into perspective, Switzerland has 8 million, Poland has about 38 million, Spain has 46, South Korea has 50 million, so we have more than enough in terms of gene pool or workforce diversity.

>66 boards (from wiki)
>250 square miles per board (about 650 sq km)
That is 66 x 250 = 16,500 square miles of land

Since there won't be strong border division between boards or concept of border, free migration will occur, average density will become about 2545 let's say 2500 persons per square mile. That is not an unrealistic number, that is higher than South Korea (1300/sq mi) or Taiwan (1700/sq mi) but lower than Bangladesh (2900/sq mi) or

(comment too long wtf)

1/*
>>
>>1147285
cont

or Hong Kong (17000/sq mi) or Singapore (20000/sq mi).

>what about land for farming
Let's say 2 acres will feed 4 sustainably. 16,500 square miles will have 10,560,000 acres in theory. To feed 42 million you need about 21 million acres. So a food crisis will happen soon if the land is closed off somehow, the population will need to decrease by more than half to achieve sustainability in relation to food production.

Let's say the worst is happening and it is a closed off island. Because not many people will bring nearly enough food, in the first few days the natural plants and animals will be slaughtered for food. Food will run low, society will cull itself, people will probably go mass murder each other, farms will be hard to establish unless you can defend it properly with a team you trust.

So because of the food crisis alone, there will be lots of dead people, disease will spread because of the high population density. Because it will be too chaotic to organize and establish farms, population will very likely reduce by 80% from all the killing and looting and the lack of food.

So that would be on everyone's mind first thing. But there is a solution. If moot makes a sticky on top of each board telling people not to bring companions, we will reduce the initial influx to just over 22 million, that will vastly improve the food supply and bring it closer to sustainability.

>demographics
>Age: 18-34
>Gender: ~70% male, ~30% female
>Location: United States (47%), United Kingdom (8%), Canada (6%), Australia (5%), Germany (4%), France (2%), Sweden (2%), Netherlands (2%), Poland (1.5%), Brazil (1.5%)
>Interests: Japanese culture, anime, manga, video games, comics, technology, music, movies
>Education: Majority attended or currently enrolled in college

The imbalance male to female ratio will cause social problems unless there is war, or unless there is law and order.

If internet is still working, it will be much easier to organize

(2/*)
>>
>>1147289
cont

If internet is working, it will be easy to organize society and exchange information and maintain safety and order. But since there will probably be no internet, or at least no island wide internet, communication will only be at local levels. The boards with lower visitors (like /diy/) will have good initial conditions, and boards with high visitors like /pol/ will have overpopulation density from day one, but things will settle in a few months because people will be travelling and settling.

>two hours to prepare
Organization threads will start popping up 4chan like christmas. No doubt there will be some initial directives or guidelines done by anons (such as this one) telling people what to do and what to bring.

I spent more than an hour to type this, so people have probably half an hour to pack their shit in realistic times, and vast majority (let's say >80%) will not even pack nearly enough shit or the right kind of shit because they are not browsing 4chan, or not near home, or not near any supply.

So realistically, 20% will need to have the right stuff to cover the other 80% who assuming won't bring anything useful. That is 1 people providing for 4 others, or 200 pounds for 5 people, so more like 18 kilo of useful stuff per person.

So as a general rule, people should start packing less than 20 kilo for personal, and pack 70 kilo of "civilization starting materials" i.e. hard drives, tablets, batteries, solar panels; diy tools, gardening tools (/diy/ can specialize); and food, water, medicine (other boards); seeds or plants for farming (/out/ or whatever gardening board specialize); and perhaps some allowance for larger machines like power generator or bigger tools, or fuel.

But realistically nobody will have access to these within 15 minutes, so it will be down to /diy/ bringing all the tools while /lgbt/ starve with their now-useless sex toys.

The first few days will be absolutely fucking chaos. Expect blood and pain. 3/*
>>
>>1147291
cont

I would say /diy/ or /out/ will be in good positions to have the best tools because they are literally built for these situations, and the anons generally have shit lying around within 10 minutes. But it won't be nearly enough for the other board.

So as another general rule, bring extras of everything to distribute or for back up.

There really is not much else anyone can do or expect. It will be chaos. Total chaos.

After you pack, take a shower and change into some good outdoor clothes I guess. At that point nothing is predictable anymore and won't be predictable anymore.

Good luck anons, see you on the other side.

4/4
>>
>>1147249
if i hold onto a fiber trunk line can i bring internet through the tele-portal? It could be like stargate, yes? what if i tie supplies to a long steel cable and hold on tight as i pass through? would that break the weight limit?
>>
>>1147285
>>1147289
>>1147291
>>1147293

I think the dinosaurs, /pol/acks, and /b/tards would do a number on the population.
>>
File: Rapture 1.png (331KB, 1546x2585px) Image search: [Google]
Rapture 1.png
331KB, 1546x2585px
This thread reminds me of a similar wave of threads a few years ago on /tg/
A lot of stories were told and a few were screencapped
Dumping the ones I saved
>>
File: Butterroot keep 1.png (313KB, 1540x1939px) Image search: [Google]
Butterroot keep 1.png
313KB, 1540x1939px
>>1147568
>>
File: Butterroot keep 2.png (365KB, 1521x1896px) Image search: [Google]
Butterroot keep 2.png
365KB, 1521x1896px
>>1147569
>>
File: Butterroot keep 3.png (284KB, 1525x2021px) Image search: [Google]
Butterroot keep 3.png
284KB, 1525x2021px
>>1147571
>>
File: The lucky one 1.png (175KB, 1546x1382px) Image search: [Google]
The lucky one 1.png
175KB, 1546x1382px
>>1147572
Well actually I'm just going to post a sample of what I have, because I just realized I saved a LOT of them
if anyone's interested, you can find most of the threads here :
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=lenore
>>
>>1147568
what was the op?
>>
>>1147582
I don't remember, but the theme was very similar to this thread

Also, there was a wave of threads even earlier than the ones I posted, which tell the tales of a group of people stranded in a fantasy land after recieving the same kind of message
Beware, the story is very long but well worth the read
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=008
>>
>>1147585
just a meta comment, teleporting to an unknown place survival games or teleporting to alternate universe with magic is so over done, there ought to be sciences and theories done on this topic now similar to the zombie apoc guides done by the pentagon
>>
>>1147249
>start browsing transportation board
>bring gun and lots of ammo
>protein bars
>rat poison
>pot for boiling water
>a dozen lighters
>uranium

Use gun to force all 5 /n/ lurkers to build giant statue of me. I will be worshipped as a god and they will not put up a fight.

Recreate poolstick scene from the dark knight with the 2 weakest. If they refuse execute both.

Convince the remaining 3 that i will bring us to glory.

Have 1 begin farming, 1 begin smithing weapons and tools, and 1 doing recon.

Eventually find refugees from /pol/, take them in, get secrets and intel.

Use them to start underground railroad to /pol/topia, convincing them we're saving their loved ones.

Enslave all /pol/s. Make them work fields and mines.

Strike early agreement with /k/, ammunition and arms for military assistance. Peace treaty exists and is strong.

Expand borders, begin conquering other boards. Taking all their smartest, converting their best warriors, enslavong the rest, executing hundreds just to prove a point.

At this point our military will be massive, well organized, well armed, well trained, capable.

Secretly strike deal with science and math. Develop engines and the atom bomb centuries ahead of schedule. Perfect flight.

The true irony now is that we are transportation, and we will become wprld power by transporting the atom bomb to our allies who are the only ones that could topple our society.

Forced occupation of all boards by threat of nuclear attack and severe military action.

I am worshipped as a god, able to make fire rain from the sky. None dare oppose me.
>>
>>1147249
I'd take my Chad friend, he is super resourceful and energetic, while I'm a complete sloth...

500 nails
1 axe
1 knife
1 shotgun
50 bullets
1 flint

I didn't do the math, but I think that is roughly 100 pounds...
>>
>>1147585

Thanks, marathoning
>>
>>1147703
>day 1, be /n/ god arrives in a new world, plans out glorious days ahead
>day 2, no food no water, all followers dead or run off because disobedience
>day 3, killed a turtle with my gun, trying to eat it
>day 4, turtle could not digest without cooking, still no water, literally dying
>day 5, killed in sleep by some random fox

praise
>>
>>1147249
89kg of antibiotics, swiss army knife, hat and cricket bat
>>
>>1147842
i wanna change my answer
90kg of mosquito netting
>>
>>1147285
Knowledge is power. You don't have to go through the tropes of having an agriculture-based hunter gather society because you KNOW about modern science and energy. There is no reason to not be in the iron age at least about a year into the expirament and you could have outdated computing methods and software developed within 2.
>>
>>1147871
Science knowledge means little in a sort of outdoor survival situation, it will take time just to map the place, establish food and water supply, make buildings, develop knowledge of local animals; also if there are knowledge, it will be in the hands of a few, the 80% normie who didn't prep will need survive on their own before getting to a stable society, before getting to knowledge spreading, before getting to making the tools and foundries and workshops to make better steel, make glass, make chemicals, etc. It will take years if not decades to settle down, socially and economically. Unless you have a very well resourced, very well prepped, very well organized, very well defended group that can do everything we can expect to do in the modern world without issue, with little equipment, with little resources, then maybe, but the starting conditions are not exactly great with such population density across the whole map with food and water being such an immediate crisis.
>>
>>1147874

MY point is that's all going to come much faster because you already know it exists so you know what you're gunning for.
You don't have to waste time on feudalism, we understand basic hygene so plagues won't set back progress multiple generations, we're not going to let religious extremism prevent technological development and exploration advance, etc.

Yeah we still have to obtain resources and make things. But we don't have to make 10 different varients of a bicycle to get an effective kind because we already know what they look like. We could start working towards planes within months.
>>
Real question, how likely is war?
>>
>>1147877
>Real question, how likely is war?
Large scale conflict is unlikely but smaller shuffles over resources/territory will probably occur.
>>
>>1147876
Well, sure, having cheat sheets helps, I just think it will be extremely difficult with the deadly social and economic starting condition.

Also, such knowledge and skills will be rare, grab a random person on the street and he probably won't be able to make a knife, let alone a bike.

After the initial war for food, it will be even harder to find a knowledgable person, and even harder if his laptop or tablet still works.

Related question, what is the most durable and the most capacity portable media? A tablet with microsd cards filled with pdfs?
>>
>>1147880
I think it's more of the knowledge of what to avoid doing/making while progressing that's important rather than knowledge of what to do.

As for media I'd say make sure it runs off of rechargeable batteries.
>>
>>1147885
First priority will be safety, and food and water. That means organizing into 10-30 person groups with people you trust, then head out to find water, river or stream, then head up until there is nothing upstream that can badly contaminate the water.

People will slowly arrive, there will be people joining and there will be people bringing conflict, so some sort of establishment, or mafia, or a body of some sort that have presence and governing power. Without this, it will just be chaos and people can't cooperate for the better.

Once a town is established near water source, it will grow as more people come and join. From that point onward it will be easy.

So the priority will be to find a group, find water, establish order, and maintain order. If you don't establish the order, join it.

Then after that things will become more normal within the city. Note the population density is rather dense, so there will be a general lack of space, the ruins will probably be repurposed into multistory buildings.

If some wizard can get together some routers and power source, a wifi or cell network can work, but very unlikely anyone will be able to get enough of those equipments in under 2 hours, and in an organized way so a group of people will bring the right stuff together. Not impossible, but unlikely. Everyone will probably pack like they are going camping.
>>
File: its fine.jpg (61KB, 537x256px) Image search: [Google]
its fine.jpg
61KB, 537x256px
>>1147249
Very good at survival- mountain, desert, jungle warfare training and have a good amount of other relevant skills (agriculture, firearms, blacksmithing, electronics etc)
However, wife that HATES camping and a 6month old would be 'very hard mode'... that might mean a lot of 2nd hand gear found along the way :o
>>
>>1147890
Just pack walkie talkies and a fuck ton of batteries
>>
>>1147890
nuts to you. first priority is looking for suitable wood for a workbench.
you can eat and drink when youre ded
>>
>>1147943

Kek.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.