[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been beating my head against the wall for three weeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2621.jpg (405KB, 1251x1916px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2621.jpg
405KB, 1251x1916px
I have been beating my head against the wall for three weeks now trying to install a new sink and faucet in my bathroom. Unfortunately the water supply lines coming out of the wall are compression fittings and I need to find an adapter so I can hook up a sweat supply hose to them. Something like that must exist but I can't find one anywhere.

I had the exact same problem three years ago when I put in a new toilet and couldn't connect the new water supply line to the old compression line coming out of the wall. I ended up at this little hole in the wall hardware store and the guy there sold me an adapter that worked perfectly. I had the toilet working in like two minutes.

Now three years later that old ass wooden floored hardware store is closed up forever and no one else knows what I am talking about. Everyone tells me the half inch supply hose should fit right onto the half inch compression line but it doesn't..

Anyone have a suggestion on a supply store that has parts for old houses? The Polybutylene pipes in my walls are actually illegal now to use so I wonder if that is why I can't find anything that will connect to it.
>>
>>1147150
>Everyone tells me the half inch supply hose should fit right onto the half inch compression line but it doesn't..

3/8 compression fitting on the shutoff valve end?
>>
might be a good time to think about replacing it
>>
I had a similar problem. I had 1/2" black pipe which the of is 5/8" and the only thing I found to fit it was a valve with a few adapters. That thing leaked llike the titanic
>>
>>1147161
I'm pretty positive that it is half inch. If I take the old line that was attached to the valve it will fit onto a half inch male connector but the half inch hose will not attach the valve.
>>
File: IMG_2622.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2622.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1147176
Picture of the old compression line.
>>
Like I said I had the same problem when I replaced the toilet. No one could help me until I went to Law Brothers (RIP) and that guy found me a part in like ten seconds that got it working right away.
>>
>>1147169
I have to replace those poly pipes but I'm not looking forward to ripping out the walls to get to them.
>>
go to a mobile home supply house
they use those type of plastic fittings
>>
>>1147150
How about changing the valve itself, and buy the supply line that works with the new valve? If the problem is the old plumbing, maybe invest in switching to PEX. That should be fairly cheap and easy compared to changing the pipes to copper, in your situation.
>>
https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/repair/how-to-join-dissimilar-pipes/view-all

isThis might get you into the right ballpark
>>
>>1147182
I am going to have to rip out the walls to get to those pipes.

All I wanted to do was put in a new sink and faucet and now...
>>
>>1147197

the hell? you should be able to replace the valve regardless. your time wasting isn't due to lack of parts but complete ignorance.
>>
you do have a valve on the wall like in the pic right? It's not just a pipe without a cutoff, right?

And you're not trying to remove the valve are you?

Also, sharkbite makes polybutylene to CTS (copper, cpvc, pex, etc sizing) adapters
Take the old supply to a homedepot type place or plumbing/ hardware store.
Figure out what size and kind of threads they are.

Pretty damn sure they will be 3/8 compression threads

And if your new faucet came with only copper tubes sticking out, just put a metal compression union on there to connect to a supply line.

You can also sweat a male adapter on the faucet supply once you know what kind of flexible supply you can use.

I get the feeling you're doing something wierd like mixing up pipe threads vs compression threads
>>
>>1147176
>>1147177
Are you mixing up the ends?
Faucet side threads are usually pipe thread size, where the valve end is usually compression sized

although PB installs in trailers for instance sometimes did mix thread types and sizes in odd combinations for god knows what reason.
>>
>>1147225
>although PB installs in trailers for instance sometimes did mix thread types and sizes in odd combinations for god knows what reason.

>>1147180
>go to a mobile home supply house
>they use those type of plastic fittings
>>
>>1147150
>I need to find an adapter so I can hook up a sweat supply hose to them.

I've read this thread several times.
I'm pretty sure you can't sweat a copper line.
>>
>>1147237
Most of us say sweating meaning soldering.
What do you think it means?

And if you don't solder copper and brass fittings, what do you solder? PVC CPVC PEX etc? all those will melt if you take a torch to them.
Threaded steel? There were a very limited number of fittings that came with a hole on the female side for you to introduce solder into the threaded joint.
>>
>>1147240
>What do you think it means?
I think it means soldering
With a torch and solder and flux
I stand by my assertion that OP can't solder copper tubing.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.