[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speakers and Amps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: DORAIBA.jpg (252KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
DORAIBA.jpg
252KB, 1800x1800px
So I'm sick of bad audio from both my shitty earbuds and my shitty headset. I can't build myself headphones, though if anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear.

So I've decided to build myself some speakers and an amp. I don't know whether to have an internal or external amp with respect to the speakers, whether to use an amp IC or use a collection of transistors, etc. I'm not planning on going down the valve rabbit hole yet, but you're welcome to show them off.

Post ideas and circuits, also /diy/ audio general I guess.
>>
>>1146560
>shit earbud
>shit headset
>build a speaker

too much of a jump dont you think
>>
>>1146561
I mean, I plan on building headphones eventually, but that will require quite a lot of prototyping for comfort, material analysis, and custom parts. Fibreglass looks like the right material to build one out of at least for a prototype, maybe cast aluminium for the small precision pieces, but all the custom fittings and such are out of my league. I enjoy building things, so why not just build speakers instead? Would you suggest just buying a replacement? Where's your /diy/ spirit?
>>
>>1146579
>i want diy wahhhhhhh
>i want to build a car, i dont know if gas or electric

it is not /diy/ if you don't know what you are doing and give us nothing to discuss other than go google it yourself
>>
>>1146560
Build a speaker? Its not like a dog kennel is it, how the fuck are you going to build a speaker that is any better than the shittest speaker from china?
>>
>>1146580
The problem IS that I searched around. There's all sorts of amplifiers out there and all sorts of drivers too, the point of the thread was for people to share what they've made and had experience with so I or others could learn from this. Reading the pros and cons from the designers of these circuits and housings is one thing, but talking to people who have tried to build them is more valuable in my opinion. At present I've got nothing much to add to the conversation, and I doubt I can just whore out what specifications I need and have you guys answer my beck and call, so I thought it would be more productive to see what other people have to say about the subject in general.

>>1146586
When someone builds a computer they don't make all the ICs themselves, they put it together from available parts. When I'm going to build a speaker, I'm going to construct a housing and amp for the drivers. Sorry for any confusion.
>>
Simple is Dayton monitors kit + T-amp. That's what I've had for the last decade.
>>
>>1146604
The point of this board is not making threads when you have nothing to discuss other than "help me google" or "help me understand the google results" because we are not /gradeschool/. You have to go to school for that. You are clearly way underaged and have too little knowledge to even understand google results. Making a new thread just to host your cancer project is not going to help you.
>>
>>1146645
>also /diy/ audio general I guess
If I just left it at that would you be happy? Because that's all it ever needed to be. Just some calm discussion between people who've done this before. I don't need anyone telling me what to do. Ignore my request and just post cool shit for all I care. It's like I put up an ad for a party and the only people who turned up weren't here to party but to tell me how bad my party was. And yes it's a bad party, but I'd wager that's at least partly because nobody's partying.

>>1146637
Thanks for taking 1 minute of your time posting something productive instead of taking 10 minutes to tell me my thread is shit.
>>
>>1146650
>If I just left it at that would you be happy?
Obviously no, you are not qualified to post it because you have no resources to link or original content as op, you are just being a cancer, go back to school, learn the basics of electronics and come back if you have something to discuss other than "please spoonfed me". Calm discuss between people with experience will exclude you. You have nothing to contribute and you have nothing to ask. You have nothing that will add to the discussion other than being a cancer 12 yo who won't shut up about he is going to do x or y with no reason at all. You don't come to /diy/ and shit up the board with zero content spoonfeed threads, they are by rules not allowed and should be nuked on first sight. You need to stop this cancer general and either start posting oc or showing what you got, which you don't have any.
>>
>>1146655
I don't care if it excludes me, all I need is to see some different existing solutions, and information about their performance. Sure I've got nothing to bring to the table.

I post quality content here, especially on /ohm/, but I get all my knowledge from wikipedia articles, data sheets, and other anons, and posting those as resources doesn't feel quite right. When someone makes a thread asking for help I give them help. Spoonfeed or not, there's tips and experiences that individuals have that you couldn't find in years of trawling though search engines. I could post something like this:
http://www.techlib.com/electronics/audioamps.html
But it's not really an extensive compilation at all. If there's an extensive, categorised anthology of amplifier circuits I'm all ears.

In the end, you're (mostly) completely right, I'm asking to be spoonfed and I guess that isn't as kosher as I thought from all the other spoonfeed threads, and there probably are differences between them and mine I haven't noticed. At least I'm learning. So now that that's out of the way, do you have anything productive to add to the slightly less than empty table?
>>
>>1146674
First ignore cancerous assholes like >>1146655 . They fuck up all that is nice here.
As to your question: Building a speaker is sort of black magic. While there are some equations and there is a general understanding, it requires quite a lot of trial and error to get it right (just a heads up). Search for speaker simulator/calculator and go from there. (sorry don't have any links to give)

As for the amp. Get an electronics textbook and design your own(hardcore!) or if you have basic soldering ability get a Class D amp IC from Texas Instruments. It's not the best quality wise but you will learn some stuff building it and from there you can see if you want to move on to something better like a Class A amp.

>>1146655
Please get your elitist mentality off /diy/.
>>
>>1146679
Thanks friend. I've played around a bit with inverting amplifiers using OPA2134 chips, and have a rudimentary understanding of their function. Now that's three people telling me to buy the electronics textbook, after two of my lecturers. It's $150 at the store and $9 new on amazon, so I guess I'll be cucking the local university booksellers.
>>
File: 1479955701893.png (620KB, 574x540px) Image search: [Google]
1479955701893.png
620KB, 574x540px
>>1146679
he may be a bit harsh, but he has a point. Read the sticky. We have every right to be rude to people who are not specific or do not use google. Now, if OP started off with specific ICs and Op amp ect... that would be a different story, but the original post was absolute cancer followed by a victimhood complex. I have been here long enough to understand >>1146655
frustration. There are too many buffoons posting shit that requires a simple search (this post),

Here is some advice OP, look into forums for specific nieces, they will give you more detailed and accurate information to the solution you seek. Other than that, go piss up a rope bitch, this is not a safe space.
>>
File: Frugal_Horns_01.jpg (67KB, 491x695px) Image search: [Google]
Frugal_Horns_01.jpg
67KB, 491x695px
Building a good sounding speaker is not trivial, just get a kit from parts express.

After that start messing around with 3" full range drivers, the frugal horn (lite) is a pretty nice and ubiquitous design.

Then you can move onto crossover design and multiple drivers. For learning the ropes go read all of Paul carmodys work at undefinition, and then some zaph audio articles about design.

This is pretty much the route I took and now my budget 2 ways are flooring listeners.
>>
/diy/ is like stackexchange. If you don't pose a question with a substantial attempt at the solution, you can go ahead and fuck off.

People who have the knowledge and experience are less likely to post about their successes if you just sit there like a yard wanting to be spoon-fed.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.