[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plumbing Apprentceship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: plumbingshot1.jpg (300KB, 700x460px) Image search: [Google]
plumbingshot1.jpg
300KB, 700x460px
I start one next week.
Wanna make a good impression, what do you know or reckon the bloke I work with will be most after from me. Other than knowing what exactly he wants from his tool box when he's stuck behind a cupboard.
>>
>>1145872
show up on time and don't smell like booze.
>>
>>1145890
better buy some mints then
>>
File: 996297001457620124.gif (189KB, 280x205px) Image search: [Google]
996297001457620124.gif
189KB, 280x205px
>>1145872
wipe after him, carry his shit AND REALLY IMPORTANT DONT PUT A FUCKING SCREWDRIVER IN HIS BUM
>>
>>1145922
This shouldn't have to be said but it do.

Don't bite your nails
>>
>>1145922
wipe after him?
>>
>>1145930
It's plumbing, so cross your fingers and hope it's just water.
>>
>>1145931
i c i c, i was thinking about buying one of those hand held wetvacs for when it's gross but not gross enough to lug the corded machine up the stairs.
>>
>>1145872
Pay attention. Ask questions. Dont complain.
>>
>>1145872

Lefty Loosie, Rightie Tighty....

Oh, and gas pipes get the yellow tape.
>>
DON'T BE FUCKING LATE
STAY OFF YOUR GOD DAMN PHONE
ASK QUESTIONS, DON'T BE A RETARD
DON'T BUY FANCY SHIT TILL YOU GET YOUR FEET WET
>>
>>1145872
Don't ever act grossed out. That's weak shit. You're not there to get your hair tousseled, you're there to work.
>>
>dealing with other people's literal shit
Why?
>>
>>1145990
>STAY OFF YOUR GOD DAMN PHONE
fucking this holy shit you kids and your toys
>>
>>1146037
get off the internet gramps.
>>
>>1145990
But I have to check what my bitch is up to on Snapchat
>>
Bring a bucket to carry your tools. Always carry a level and measuring tape on you. Don't be gay.
>>
File: tools.jpg (59KB, 653x418px) Image search: [Google]
tools.jpg
59KB, 653x418px
>>1145872
Shit goes down, stink goes up.

buy the following:
small pocket tape measure, 6/10 foot

Irwin adjustable groove pliers, pic related.ones with the nonflat jaws

Milwakee folding saw, uses sawzall blades, get a 20/24 6 inch blade (diablo brand at home depot is cheap but good quality) for it to cut pvc, cpvc, pex and copper.
Google Swanson SVK666 is you want a slightly cooler more useful but less durable one

small adjustable wrench (crescent wrench) get a 6 inch one, preferably with inch fraction size markings etched, and if you can get an extra wide opening one

A 4/6 in one screw driver, its 2 sizes of phillips and flathead and 2 nut drivers that are the most common size for screws/bolts you'll see, including band clamps
I have taken a liking to the lowes branded aluminum one since it doesn't rust up, but the bits are softer so don't use it as a chisel.

small flashlight, one that is normal but has side area light as well.

Good idea to get one of those small needle nose folding multitools to keep in your pocket as well, the ones that fold down to like 3 inches

If you can find one, a metal body tanto folder knife with serrations, with pocket clip, that's easy for you to open and close one handed (liner lock?). Coast has one for 25$ I've used for years, and bought the same one when I've lost it through various instances.

That will cover 75% of all the work you do. Those will all fit in your pocket if needed. Or a small belt pouch.

I'd suggest dickies pants like carpenter (not cargo) pants w/extra pockets to the side of your leg, fast to get to.

Consider a small shoulder tool pouch/bag so you can fit more stuff. Having a tube of pipe dope,teflon tape,small pipe wrench, faucet grease,handful of washers in some container (00, 1/4L, 3/8 are common but get a generic assortment to keep), graphite packing, box cutter, small pipe cutters, etc
>>
Get some basic tools. Don't be a dumb cunt. If you have nothing to do, find something to do.

The most important thing is to ask questions about anything you are unsure about. He would rather spend 30 seconds explaining or showing something to you than you fucking something up and potentially costing a fuckload of money/time to fix.
>>
Well OP your in the top tier for trades. Pipe trades are where it's at. Get on new construction jobs only. Otherwise as a plumber you'll see shithat literally.

I'm an industrial steamfitter.
>>
>>1146076
Eventually I just wanna end up doing commercial, bfs an electrician tho so toying with renovations.

This job is with a firm that contracts for social housing, i will be witnessing some horrific shit. But i was lucky to get it.

A mate was what you are or roundabout, spent most of his time in Dubai and made a packet.
>>
>>1146083
>Social housing

Oh boy. You have no idea what you are getting into. I used to do fibre to the home installs and Jesus Christ, state housing jobs were the most horrifying things I have ever seen.

>Walk into state house
>Jesus Christ
>It's a fucking weaboo neet who somehow managed to get his own place courtesy of the government
>Hoarder central
>Random anime detritus stacked waist high around the entire house
>Walkways through this shit to get from room to room
>I ask him to clear some shit so I could get to the manhole and phone jack
>He pulls out this fucking spade type contraption and starts actually shovelling this shit to one side

I said I was going to the van to get some tools and drove the fuck away from there. Called the boss and said it was a health hazard and I'm not going to fucking do that shit.
>>
>>1145872
Don't shit in the customers toilet, even if you need to test it
>>
>>1145872
You'll always have your tape measure, marker and biro on you at all times.

I can't fucking drum it in to my apprentices hard enough. And get up for work. Nothing pisses me off more than sitting outside a young lads house in a morning waiting because he's not mastered the art of getting out of bed.
>>
>>1145872
always shit in the customers toilet. if you won't use your own work, why should they?
>>
File: IMG_0159.jpg (942KB, 1487x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0159.jpg
942KB, 1487x2000px
Be patient. Accept doing all bitchwork. Be attentive and try to hand the journeymen tools before they need them or as they need them without asking. Dont be afraid to mess up, you will a lot but everyone does at first. I was very anxious during my first year at school and when starting but now im year 3 and I feel very comfortable.
>>
>>1145872
Im a plumber/ fitter our firm used to do mainly commercial installs, plant rooms large biomass etc etc, the firm now mainly does social housing stuff, and it fucking sucks. People sit there watching jeremy kyle on their 90inch plasma tvs, moaning about having to be in for the day while you install a new boiler for free for them. Im only still there because im on the same rate as i was before. But what the point of me replying was to say, always have a pencil and a tape measure, and save your phone browsing for breaks
>>
>>1146874

When I was in the interview they where asking me about how I'd deal with the things that'd be involved.

>Are you ok with working in all weathers?
>Are you ok with heights?
>We have criminals in our housing..
>>
>>1147056
Just be polite, be profesional and save any comments on the shithole youre working in for in the van. One of the phrases you will hear will be "sorry about the mess, didnt have time to tidy up last night" even though you are looking at years of neglect.
It can also be upsetting seeing the conditions some young children have to live in, quite depressing sometimes.
Anyway as much as it sounds bad, get a good knowledge of plumbing and start sending out letters to firms that do mechanical installations, thats where the interesting work is. Spend a month or so in one empty room, filling it with all the gear required to run the building. Pro tip, if youre going to go down that route, d9nt let the sparkies in before you, they will run a horizontal 100mm trunking round the centre of the wall to carry 3 cables .
>>
>>1146044
He's right though why do mongs need to be on their phone all the time? What are they even doing?
>>
File: 1.jpg (226KB, 1278x936px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
226KB, 1278x936px
>>1145872
Hope you like shovels and digging because that's what you'll be doing for pretty much all of your apprenticeship.
>>
>>1145872
Enjoy unblocking toilets for a year.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.