[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knifemaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

Sup /diy/nosaurs I'm sketching out a pocket knife im planning on making and I quite like the grind at the heel of the Kershaw Leek (circled in pic related) but I have no clue on how to grind it and google failed me.

Any suggestions?

Also knifemaking general I guess.
>>
orbital/palm sander?
>>
>>1145787
dramel tool

that is a cnc part
>>
>>1145794
Might work but it feels like its would be too inaccurate, maybe if I make some homemade jig or something.
>>
>>1145799
Not necessarily. It can be a belt grinder with a soft belt adjusted to overhang on one side, so it leaves a soft punch line.
>>1145787
Get a kmg or a clone and then you can start to have decent quality results in reasonable time. Otherwise you can use an angle grinder and hope that you won't fuck it up.
>>
>>1145787
Looks like either CNC or a specially shaped grinding wheel / that-metal-thing-behind-the-belt-sander's-belt.

You could try to make a hardened end-mill on a (CNC) lathe with the correct profile, and make a jig to hold the knife up on the mill, but that's assuming you have a access to a machine shop. Otherwise you could try the right diameter spindle on a spindle sander, but the profile probably will be different and it might take some time, not to mention having to build a jig for it.
>>
>>1145787
No clue. Had good lucl with Kershaw and getting into blacksmithing so bumo for u op.

Get it son
>>
Googling...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamon_(swordsmithing)
>>
>>1145787
I have one of those. The one in your pic has that line because the blade is a composite of 2 different steels. The line is where they're braised together.
>>
>>1146015
Nevermind. I just realized you were not talking about the line. Sorry
>>
It's called a file.
>>
File: diy2.jpg (118KB, 1854x1156px) Image search: [Google]
diy2.jpg
118KB, 1854x1156px
>>1145787
On a high-flat grind like that, they're probably using a commercial milling machine

1. But if you've got a file jig- normally you'd set the knife parallel to the bottom of the T section and have the file running perpendicular to the blade.

2. What you can do is set the knife at an angle, then run the grind up the blade, it wont be a 'hard' edge like you'd get with a milling machine but it will leave a thick spine.

>>1146015
Hamon's are done with differential heat treating by using clay as well.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vVxDmaQlN0
>>
>>1146208
Thanks man! This is exactly what i was looking for
>>
>>1145912
What this guy said about a belt grinder. Best way to do, just need a little practice
>>
>>1145912
>>1146599
2 x 72s are fucking expensive though unless you have the fabrication skills and equipment to build one.

You can get pretty decent attachments for bench grinders though. I got one specifically for knife making as a 2 x 72 is out of the question at the moment.

They're 2 x 37 belts and have a disc sander on the side of them.

Nowhere near as good as a 2 x 72 but will do you well enough if you don't have a woodworking belt sander.
>>
>>1146618
I got a 4x72 grinder made by an oldtimer who passed away a couple of years ago. Just need some new belts.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (79KB, 1372x915px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
79KB, 1372x915px
>>1145787
knife i'm working on. It has an identical twin.
>>
>>1145988
He's not talking about the Hamon, Dumbass.

He's talking about the Plunge Line.
>>
>>1146015

You're thinking of san mai, and that wouldn't be brazed together. It would be forge welded. Entirely different process.
>>
>>1147823
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek-composite-blade

"The first thing you’ll notice about the Composite Blade Leek is…well, the Composite Blade. The wavy copper line you see running through the blade is the brazing that permanently joins the razor-sharp, durable D2 cutting edge to the Sandvik 14C28N spine. The combination of these two steels enables us to give you a blade that not only looks cool, but also provides the best of two steel worlds."

Maybe they're just saying "brazing" cuz they think we're inferior plebs or something. But whatev, I get the point you're making. I'm sure it's not like connecting pipes in air conditioner units.
>>
>>1148256
Clearly a salesman wrote that description. I always get a kick out of amateur sounding fuckups from serious companies.
>>
>>1148402
I've had some interesting chats with serious "premium" steel suppliers and producers over the years too in regards to their products.
Its really hard to find someone who isn't completely full of shit, but you'd think for the prices they charge they'd at least give you the time of day
>>
File: 1348149676773.jpg (65KB, 251x249px) Image search: [Google]
1348149676773.jpg
65KB, 251x249px
fuck it, this seems like the most appropriate thread.

anybody know what the average hardness of a railroad spike is?

>inb4 railroad spikes are shit for making knives

i know.
>>
>>1148990
They're between 0.08 and 0.20% carbon steel, to get the full hardness out of them it'd need to be a brine quench and you're looking at around 35-40HRC for the higher carbon content spike
>>
>>1148996
thanks. i'm actually just trying to figure out what kind of stamp i'd need to leave an imprint in the spike without turning the stamp itself into a bolt with a very flat end
>>
File: 0322171459.jpg (535KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
0322171459.jpg
535KB, 1536x2048px
>>1147045
+ sheath I made.
>>
http://krautchan.net/vip/thread-26913.html
Same steel ?
>>
File: 0322171717.jpg (484KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
0322171717.jpg
484KB, 2048x1536px
>>1149279
>>
>>1148990

Unless you forge weld in some actual blade steel into the edge, RR spikes are a fantastic way to waste time and effort to make a shitty tool.
>>
>>1149279
How are you finding the kydex to work with?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.