[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home Cloud

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: What-is-cloud-computing.png (283KB, 744x555px) Image search: [Google]
What-is-cloud-computing.png
283KB, 744x555px
It's possible make a home cloud personal? If yes, how? I don't want to waste much money, can I do it using a router with usb and a hdd? How?
I want to put podcasts, and movies in the HDD and be able to open in my android device, or my laptop. Share files, etc.
>>
>>1145701
My external HDD is connected to a raspberry pi and I run samba on raspi. I can acess files from any device. Plus raspi is a torrent box everything gets saved into the hdd and can watch stuff immediately. I have no idea if you can do it with a router. You can use your desktop/laptop as a samba share too though.
>>
I think it goes something like this:
Attach drive to computer
make it "shared"
enable sharing between devices on router
connect both devices to router
access files with a filemanager like airdroid or ES file explorer

Or if you have a dedicated old computer to act as a server you can set up an ad-hoc network. Connect via wifi directly to server. I think only one connection at a time this way though. I have a batch file for win 8 to do this if you need it. Think it's not been obfuscated on win7, so you can do it without a batch file.

Also IIRC(it's been a while) some network drivers or protocals might need to be installed or enabled
>>
File: wdmycloud.jpg (5KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
wdmycloud.jpg
5KB, 300x300px
the easiest way, i suppose, is just to use a router with one or more shareable USB ports, and stick an external USB drive on it. (an independently-powered drive is more likely to work.) i have an old router that does that, but only for FAT formatted drives, which means max file size is 4gig. a used router like that costs less than $10.

if you've got the dough, Western Digital makes the consumer-grade WDMYcloud series of network drives. hook one up to your router and you have network access to its internal HDD thru the LAN, the Wifi, and remotely through the internet. has nice features like powering down when not in use, and creating restore points of the data, like you have in windows.
>>
>>1145701
Would a wireless hard drive be this?

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-wireless-hard-drives?id=adw&gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZyFocL84QKIFuTa74F6x3wWeITESfgDtQeW-M2m3yRcaAoZq8P8HAQ
>>
>>1145724
They (WD MyCloud) are 1A reliable, but sloooow af over Network for large file transfer, even compared to USB2, never mind 3. Best bet still, a good wired NAS box (cheap recs: HP microserver, exp. Synology), & use wireless only when no other choice, android (+ ES, or w/e).

HD sharing via your average wireless router is (apparently..) a bit hit or miss - anyone using a router with USB3 port + HD tho, and got any (real-life) recs? - be interested. Otherwise, if you aint continually transferring huge files, want something cheap and reliable that just wurks, the MyCloud is indeed fine, when not superfast. Be a vast improvement if you could also connect these to PC via USB when fast/large transfer needed; idk why this technically unfeasible.
>>
>>1145705
>>1145712
I don't want to use my laptop to do it. I want a exclusive way to do it. I'm curious about raspberry pi, can I do one as server? Connect it to the router and share the files? If I stick a external hd on the USB port from a router, it will work fine? I'll need an app or something to do it? (Sorry my bad English, trying to learn by myself)
>>
>>1145821
Maybe, but still a kinda expensive :/
>>
>>1145701
>It's possible make a home cloud personal? If yes, how? I don't want to waste much money, can I do it using a router with usb and a hdd? How?

Network Attached Storage

You 'can' make your own but you can buy one ready to plug-n-play starting around $100.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.