[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paper armor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

File: Hara-ate_dou.jpg (2MB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
Hara-ate_dou.jpg
2MB, 2736x3648px
I want to make a functional piece of Japanese paper armor and google isn't helping much.

I want to make a solid chest piece, the materials are easy with it just being paper, fabric, glue, and lacquer but i cant find anything on the process.

I've found two videos of people trying it but they've both come out looking like absolute shit, can anyone help me figure out how to do it properly?

The finished piece would be shaped like in this image but not plated since that is iron or steel.
>>
>>1144843
>paper armor
>>>/po/
>>
>>1144895
>>
>>1144843
These are the only two videos i've found, so you can understand what i'm wanting to make

They both turned out like shit.

https://youtu.be/C76cJpFEskY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze0yKhoWV4E
>>
>>1144843
Why the fuck would anyone want to make it from paper?
>>
>>1144972
>Light weight
>affordable
>easily obtained materials
>could withstand blunt force, stabs, slashes, most arrows, and even guns at the time

It was disposable armor and the only thing metal armor had against it was reduced bulk and long term durability.
>>
>>1144972
Not op but paper armor was really good at stopping arrows when correctly made as tightly folded paper becomes really strong and even tougher than wood if you are good enough. It was much lighter and more flexible than other armor types as well. It's only downside is you have to replace even the slightest damaged parts as the paper loses all its strength and as you can imagine works horrendously in rain and humid environments
>>
>>1144843
Shooting in the dark, but it's likely a laminate built over a form. Look up construction techniques for Greek linothorax recreations (whether or not linothoraxes were actually made of linen is for another thread).
>>
Mythbusters did an episode on this, perhaps find it and or some behind the scenes from those episodes.
>>
>>1145156
What mythbusters did was make a bunch of plates of folded up paper, what im talking about is layers of paper tightly packed and glued into solid dense piece.
>>
>>1145159
So essentially it's fiberglass with paper instead of glass? If so I'd make a fiberglass and just apply a few layers of paper on the outside just for texture or appearance. The right matting and sanding/finishing and you can get a better product from raw fiberglass. You can even get Kevlar infused matting for hardcore protection.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
>>1144973
>could withstand blunt force, stabs, slashes, most arrows, and even guns at the time

It is only used for LARPing and cosplay. People who think like you do simply die.

It sounds like you want to do micarta using paper instead of cloth. It uses cloth and resin to make a material for knife handles and other things. There are lots of DIY stuff on line about how to make it. If you have a bench vise and/or a stack of heavy books, you can make it easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRQtVrM3VS0

The best part is that you can make it in any shape and thickness you wish. However, it will be heavier than metal armor, just like how your paper armor will be heavier than metal armor.
>>
>>1145200
He was probably overstepping things a bit when he said guns, but laminated armor isn't uncommon worldwide (you can just use layers of quilted cloth and padding and be effectively protected for at least a few slashes and glancing blows). The glue just hardens everything up and lets you get some more bang for your buck.
>>
File: paper.png (112KB, 383x426px) Image search: [Google]
paper.png
112KB, 383x426px
>>1145192
I could, but i want to make a recreation of historical armor.

>>1145200
I dont mean costume armor made of paper mache, it was made of thick fibrous paper and cotton layers and was like a man made wood.

Its a shitty picture but this is an example of an actual piece of paper armor.
>>
>>1145200
Though he doesn't call it micarta, this version made of a welding blanket and based on the same principle stopped bullets
https://youtu.be/_7jiIQOgwtI
>>
>>1144843
What I'd do is use a mold for the shape and then start layering sheets of paper imbued with glue. Since the paper will become soft it will be very easy to work with. When you have reached the desired density leave it to dry and solidify. Then apply multiple layers of lacquer to be able to go into battle in rainfall. I'm not sure where the cloth fits in. Perhaps a variation of paper/cloth/paper/... will give a more formidable outcome, but I stress: I simply do not know. Since both materials are dirt cheap I suggest trying different ratios and layerings to test out which is strongest/lightest etc..
>>
File: 1486628879972.jpg (23KB, 359x316px) Image search: [Google]
1486628879972.jpg
23KB, 359x316px
>>1145298
>Though he doesn't call it micarta,

Why would he call it something it's not?
>>
>>1144843
>Japanese paper armor and google isn't helping much

that's because there was no such thing.
>>
>>1145468
>"Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic"
>it's fiberglass in epoxy resin
I think it qualifies
>>
File: IBUSHI-1.jpg (20KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IBUSHI-1.jpg
20KB, 250x250px
>>1144843
OP, curiosity got me digging. Only Japanese example I could find is the Do (the breastplate worn in kendo):

https://youtu.be/l0UF332lfK4

Appears almost exactly as described: bamboo lames at the core, laminate of cloth and paper over that, finished with lacquer. Sort of makes me wonder what preceded it.
>>
>>1145493
>Porsche is a German automobile manufacturer specializing in high-performance sports cars, SUVs and sedans.
>it's 4 wheels and an engine
I think not.
>>
>>1144973
They were made of metal you dumbass.
>>
>>1145528
Care to explain how common foot soldiers were armed with metal armor in Japan?
>>
>>1145533
The same way common foot soldiers in europe were armed with metal armor. They weren't.
>>
>>1145533
They were armed with the Way of the Bushido, which roughly translates as "imaginary armor as strong as steel, if you believe enough".
>>
>>1145539
This. Japanese armour were made of steel plates held together by silk ribbons tied in a special way then covered with insane amounts of lacquer. Although because of the inferior metallurgy they were much more expensive to produce than their European counterparts.
>>1144843
So OP, don't be a fucktard and research the fucking subject before posting.
>>
>>1145919
Their metallurgy wasn't inferior. It's just that they relied heavily on iron sand, which was harder to obtain large amounts of. A block of 15th century japanese iron and 15th century french iron would be indistinguishable.
>>
>>1145919
Gee I guess those museum pieces of armor were just in my imagination.
>>
>>1145945
They were made out of metal you fucking trog.
>>
>>1145977
Sure Anon, they had enough of their magic nipon steel to arm every ashigaru.
>>
File: 1448843962041.jpg (30KB, 427x262px) Image search: [Google]
1448843962041.jpg
30KB, 427x262px
>>1144973
>>
File: bjs42_fencers.jpg (269KB, 1042x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bjs42_fencers.jpg
269KB, 1042x1200px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhVTV_txGFY

>>1145506
>Sort of makes me wonder what preceded it.
This.

But don't mistake either for fighting armour. It was a piece of sports protective equipment from the start.

>>1145539
Except when they were. Late middle ages and even a peasant levy can show up with cuirass, helmet, a large sword and polearm or crossbow. Lords bough basic armour, like the so-called Almain rivets, by the hundreds or thousands. The Wisby graves contained a lot of armour, and that was mostly just the local peasants who ended up killed there. Earlier on when such was a bit more expensive and those who couldn't afford decent wargear would generally not be involved in outright battles.

Japan likewise doesn't seem to have suffered any major shortage of iron and steel once the indigenous production gets started way before the samurai show up. That's just nonsense spread around by people who desperately want Japanese arms and armour to be shit. Just like the idea that the somewhat lower iron content of the ores they used would make for poor metal in the end, all you really get is a bit lower yield.

>>1145919
>Although because of the inferior metallurgy they were much more expensive to produce than their European counterparts.

Japanese metallurgy was pretty similar to European metallurgy. That whole folding thing wasn't some Japanese speciality, it was something pretty much everyone did. You hear more about it in Japan though, both because the craft of traditionally blade forging has been better preserved there, and because they had the blade smith do a larger part of that work, while in Europe much of the refining work would have been done by either by the smelting group, or by a third part in between. Swedish Osmunds for example generally being exported to Hanseatic cities on the continent, reforged until they were up to standards, and then re-sold elsewhere.
>>
>>1144843
The only "paper armor" I've ever heard about was Chinese, and even then it was just quilted cloth armor.

http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/02/paper-armour-of-ming-dynasty.html
>>
I made mine out of one-ply toilet paper

I wanted it to be a material that a Katana could realistically cut through
>>
>>1146099
LOL XDDD
>>
File: 1199670470554.jpg (118KB, 300x2238px) Image search: [Google]
1199670470554.jpg
118KB, 300x2238px
>>1146096
I'll agree with you about the skill of the Japanese smiths, the problem was the poor quality of iron they had to work with, which is why the traditional Japanese sword steel, "Tamahagane" we in the west call "pig iron" the folding that you see in Japanese blades was done to drive out as much of the impurities as possible, Viking / Migration era western blades were constructed with what is called pattern welding which involves twisted iron bars forge welded to a core then the edges and point were forged welded to that
>>
>>1146140
Yeah, but once they got through the purification process it would be just as good, even if it took a longer more thorough purification process.

>>1145159
So watch how they did it and then follow this guy's >>1145311 advice and do it over a breastplate shaped mould instead of lamellar plates.

What's wrong with the lamellar anyways? Aesthetics?
>>
>>1146141
no it's not, even perfect folded steel is not as good as the near mono-steels that Europe had to play with.
It has to do with how the laminated steels flex and return after heat treat, with the different carbon content affecting plasticity throughout the cross-section of the piece.
mono-steels flex and return at the same rate throughout the whole thickness with a good heat treat, meaning that your armour and weapon is more or less funny shaped springs.
>>
>>1145234
>i want to make a recreation of historical armor.
You can't do that with paper.
>>
>>1146140
No. Their steel making process made varying degrees of steel, from low carbon steel all the way up to pig iron. They selected steels based on certain carbon contents to form different parts of the sword. The high carbon pig iron was used because it helped stop the blade from decarburizing.
>>1146198
>no it's not, even perfect folded steel is not as good as the near mono-steels that Europe had to play with.
Wanna know how they made those 'monosteels'? By folding and forge welding the billets together to evenly spread the carbon content through out it. Most steel was case hardened iron that had been folded and forge welded.
The first 'monosteel' didn't show up until the 1850s.
>>
>>1144843
>paper armor
>functional
O I b laffin
>>
>>1146140

> which is why the traditional Japanese sword steel, "Tamahagane" we in the west call "pig iron"

Bullshit.
Stop talking about shit you have NO idea about

Tamahagane - "Jewel steel" - is carbon content of approximately 0.8 to 1.1% Carbon.

"Pig Iron" AKA Cast Iron, is between 5 and 6% carbon content.

They are not even remotely similar.
European bloomery steel, has about the same carbon content - 0.7-1%, and was forge-welded and folded in EXACTLY the same way japanese steels were.

your entire comment is nothing but ignorant myth and jingoism.
>>
>>1146293
Cast iron starts at 2% carbon, but it's used because after you weld it together will lower carbon steels the carbon will diffuse, stopping decarburization or at least slowing it down.
>>
File: the Herald of 4chan.png (192KB, 412x179px) Image search: [Google]
the Herald of 4chan.png
192KB, 412x179px
Someone needs to summon KM.
>>
As far as a great resource for japanese armor info here is where I would go http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html you're on you're own for creating your paper fabric composite
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.