[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is becoming a tradesman worth it /diy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 18

is becoming a tradesman worth it /diy/?
>>
>>1144761
its aight
>>
>>1144761
no, become a NEET
>>
>>1144763
what is it like
>>
Im an apprentice Union surveyor and I make 32 and change an hour while chaining and 45 and change an hour chiefing. Its def worth it.
>>
>>1144788
Yeah, but surveying takes a special kind of personality in order to enjoy your work day. Kind of GIS software work, or Notaries.
>>
>>1144771
idk im considering trades but i don't think i'd fit in with the people doing it
>>
>>1144812
Yeah, well, I don't think I have always fit in with forestry people, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. Don't let social pressure keep you from doing the right things in life.
>>
>>1144812
Please join. I would like to work with more people that aren't old, burned-out alcoholics.
>>
>>1144842
>I would like to work with more people that aren't old, burned-out alcoholics.
>implying you aren't on your way to becoming one of them
>>
yeah. i work no more than 6 months a year on heavy equipment and make enough to do whatever i want the rest of the time
>>
>>1144842
this a 1000x and foremen who arn't hooked on speed or cocaine
>>
>>1144846
>>1144886
i know this sounds dumb and i know it's state by state

but is it really as easy as apply for apprenticeship/school and you get the training in school/ on the job stuff ?

or do you have to find a job first and all that .
>>
>>1144915
yep.

just head on down to the local community college and check out the vocational programs.
>>
>>1144928
my community college doesn't have anything like that, they just have a deal where if you complete an apprenticeship program you get an AS degree in applied science or something.

As far as I can see in my state you have to apply to the program, pass a drug test, but I don't know much from there. I should call them but I'm already in college and have no idea if I even wanna do this.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170315-130311.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170315-130311.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>1144761
>50k a year.
>dropped out of school.
>operate equipment. AKA, sit in ac/heat and shitpost 10 hours a day 5 days a week. Short of retirement there is nothing better. You can even apply yourself and travel.

My buddy broke 200k last year doing the same thing but freezing his ass off in longer hours.
>>
>>1144934
>they just have a deal where if you complete an apprenticeship program you get an AS degree in applied science or something.

yeah, thats what i meant. do that.
>>
Look into the less common trades.

Stationary Engineer
Heavy Equipment
Elevator Repair
Low Voltage
Plasterer
Surveyor

Shit like that.
>>
>>1145194
I have that exact same chair anon. Issa piece of shit tho and holds my clothes
>>
>>1145238

I dunno bruh. Those are very saturated here.
>>
>>1144812
Do it. I need more people to talk shit about.
>>
>>1145251
Foot stool and hidden seating. Was here when i got here. I hide it because i hate people ans on occasion a bro will come by or friends holding kids.
>>
>>1144761
It's good. I get my dick sucked for fixing things all the time.
>>
>In second year of my degree.
>Nearly every fuck tells me i won't be able to get a job in even though in STEM though a chemist i know who's retired said the opposite.
>Considering dropping and becoming an electrician or even doing some shit along the side so i can do my own electric work.
Our starting salaries look good and i'm enjoying the degree but holy shit is this stressful, though probably all students think that.
>>
>>1144761
My former welding students would say it's well worth it. One lad I helped train in 2009 is now a professional welding contractor and a better welder than I'll ever be. Certs out the ass and I've seen his work. Others would visit and show us pay stubs. We encouraged them to follow the money and go on the road. There's money to be made if you are good. I'm in the Southeast and the economy is strong with plenty of work for skilled people.

Good mechanics never starve, and smart mechanics aggressively move up the career ladder to owning their own shop, becoming used car dealers (if you can't wrench you cannot evaluate vehicles), owning salvage yards (mucho dinero in that line of work) etc.
>>
>>1144915
i applied directly to a union and all my schooling was paid for, including room and board (besides paying to join the union)
>>
>>1144761
Everything has its good and bad points but at least for now the pros outweigh the cons.

>>1144812
I thought the same thing before I got into welding because we get hammered into our brains during public education that tradies are all retards and misfits but it's not necessarily true.
>>
>>1146825
I need to learn me how to fucking weld.
I've heard either "start with MIG cause it's easy" or "MIG is pussy shit and stick is what you'll actually use, learn stick"

I know stick is far harder but i was considering learning it because it'll work better for what I'm doing but fuck they're expensive, goddamn.
>>
>>1146840
Stick is by far the cheapest method and the most versatile for diy.
It's harder to learn but it's worth it.
>>
>>1146848
Seconded. Learn stick first. You will also be able to easily use mig by virtue of learning stick. Stick puts you in better position to learn how to tig weld if you wish in future.

If you learn mig first it doesn't really help you when learning the others. That's why stick is the better choice.
>>
Been working as an HVAC tech for 1.5 years now. Making 30/hour. The work can be fun but fuck sometimes extremely stressfull. Going to uni this fall cause yolo.
>>
>>1146840
Go to welding forums like weldingweb and the Miller forum. Study how to choose a used stick machine.

Used transformer machines can be heavy, but it's easy to make a cart if yours lacks one. They are so tough many outlived their original owners. If they have DC out you can also TIG using a scratch start rig.
>>
>>1147403
>Going to uni this fall cause yolo.
What major?
The right/wrong major can make a world of difference. Going to uni was probably the most miserable experience of my life and I was a honor student.
>>
>>1145194
How do
>>
thanks for the advice lads i had no idea this was a thing, now planning to join the vocational program for electricians we have here at my community college. if im lucky an apprentice position will open up when i get out

having a heart transplant isnt going to be a problem is it
>>
>>1145933
It's just burnout. Finish your degree first, get half a year distance and come back at it. Thank me later for this advice
>>
>>1144761
Go into mini split installation and print money.
>>
Are you kidding?

Do you like money?
>>
File: IMG_5480.jpg (28KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5480.jpg
28KB, 400x300px
Union electrician in Chicago. I cleared about $120k last year and looking to make more this year. The benefits are great as well.
>>1144812
>don't fit in.
That tough/ lazy/ drunk construction guy type is just a stereotype.
There's a little bit of everybody in the trades.
I'd tell anyone to join union. Free schooling hands on training and you make a lot more then those nonunion scabs.
>>
>>1151091
4th year apprentice in minneapolis here, is it true everything has to be installed in conduit where you are? I've heard even houses...
>>
>>1151091
>Union electrician
you faggots are clearing 250k$ out in california.

double time at night is straight bullshit
>>
File: IMG_5481.png (238KB, 444x444px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5481.png
238KB, 444x444px
>>1151096
It depends on the towns code. But cook county (Chicago) yes romex is illegal unless it's used for temp. My house is all EMT witch is awesome romex is shit and I don't have to rip the wall open to add circuits
>>1151102
Anything over 8 hrs is time and a half, Saturdays are time and a half, Sunday's and anything after 3:30 on Saturday is doubletime.
>>
>>1151091
Looking to move out that way, getting my journeymen card next month. Know of any machinist unions?
>>
>>1151112
Yes we have it all. Chicago is one of the strongest union towns in America. Until trump fucks everything up.
>>
>>1144761

My story:

> got a business degree in college
> pretty aimless
> tried to get work after college
> ended up working in a payroll office
> hated it
> like really hated it
> quit
> ended up working for a tile company
> was making about $15/hr, but working my body terribly
> so much fatigue and back pain

So, I started my own tile company 2 years ago. I make about $50k a year and I work about 2-3 days a week.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The trades are very lucrative. I wish I had taken this route at 18. It's a lot of money, it's fast money, and you never have to wear a suit and tie. That's pretty fucking great in my book.

After getting to know other tradesman and contractors in my area, I honestly don't feel very successful. I got a friend with a stone countertop business making $200k a year. Another guy I know is a GC that makes about $175k a year. I know an electrician making $100k a year with benefits.

Like Jesus, the trades are where it's at. Fuck the corporate world.

I will add one thing though. You're not gonna make money in the trades if you don't play your job opportunites right, or if you do an uncertified trade and work for another company. The key is to either start your own company or have a key skill where you can make a lot working for someone else.

I think the guy with the janitorial business on /biz/ is making like $150k year.
>>
is it worth joining a union
they want 1perecebt of my bruto loan
>>
>>1151102
don't bitch, organize
>>
>>1144761
My boss says that there aint no money in construction.

At the same time he makes between 30,000 and 80,000 a year and has over 7 houses with there average value being about 50,000 dollars. Some more some less. And about 60 acres.

Plus if your on your own its really easy to do tax evasion.

>>1144782
Its actually pretty sweet. If you get a roofing job for a year. If your confident and have great decision making skill i think you'll have enough experience to start your own roofing business. Not to mention anytime you need a roof or drywall, or remodelling you just do it yourself instead of paying some alcoholic 3,000 dollars.
>>
>>1145486
Have fun with your programming degree.

I hope you enjoy 11 dollars an hour for entering names and addresses of hotels into a database for 4 years.
>>
>>1145933
The solution for no jobs is just apply for more jobs.

Since i was 16 anytime ive ever needed a job i just made a mental list of every possible place. Usually get a call from 2/3 applications.

In your case you might just have to think on a more national level.
>>
>>1146825
I have never met one competent tradesmen that I could without a doubt say is an idiot. (obviously from one aspect or another everyone is an idiot.)

I think that the only fields idiots can succeed in are things like sales (all you gotta do is wait for the sign and commercials to bring people to you), Maybe HR I worked at a car dealership for a year before i learned that it had an HR department. It was the owners daughter in law (Still don't know what she does.
>>
>>1151820
She keeps busy and out of trouble under his watchful eye. If money isn't a problem it sounds like an ideal setup for a daughter.
>>
>>1146791
I've got a degree in Mechanical Engineering, two months out of college. Can't find fuck all for a job. Zero real engineering experience, just scientific research/CAD shit. Feeling burnt out and hopeless, and considering entering a trade such as welding. Please don't make fun of me, but I'm looking for advice.
>>
>>1146791
Im a shitnmechanic but my dream is to live in a thriving junk yard. Even with thst low bar i still live in tiwn and tag 5 fucking cars i dont drive....

Sigh
>>
>>1146848
Yap.

>muh tombstone.

Guess i will fix or build anything i want ever.
>>
>>1151938
how desperate are you? i can point you to a few things.
>>
>>1149826
Maybe? Just be careful. Almost lost a good bro recently to 440
>>
>>1151108
>he doesnt work 10 hours of over time on friday and fuckoff on weekends.
>>
File: 1490522290669.jpg (160KB, 1151x619px) Image search: [Google]
1490522290669.jpg
160KB, 1151x619px
>>1151252
Confirmed. Janitorbro has the sucess i dream of. Makes millions. Keeps it in the company. Makes a solid wage. Down to earth wnough to shoot guns and rock crawl while shitpostong here.

Dude is alright in my book. Pic related
>>
File: 20170327_083939.png (180KB, 865x935px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_083939.png
180KB, 865x935px
>>1151813
True. But uncle sam doesnt play games.

Roof all u want anon. I will never step foot on a roof again.

Wear your harness every single time. No exceptions...
>>
>>1151820
Dude, maybe u are just a prick. I met s ton of bros while building houses. Hell, ive lost contact with him bit at one time my best friend was a tile fuy and started his own biz while going to cet school.
>>
>>1151938
I would hit up amy and all factories for a job running a CNC machine?

No idea. Sucks bro. I will tell u i know plenty of pipeliners and they are bros. If you arent affraid of hard work or shitty weather fucking go for it. Bonis points for your degree giving u an edge building welder truck pimp af
>>
>>1151938
Actually, shit i will give u some money. Hit me up with a dummy email. I am the Dickfarmer. After contacting 50 fucking companies i found 1 fucking guy that will machine a bknk mold into dicks so i can make dick shaped sinkers. I imagine paying u to hook me up with CAD drawings would save me a ton. Hit me up maing
>>
>>1144761
just started my apprenticeship in plumbing, its a laugh, go for it.
>>
File: Iron.jpg (60KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
Iron.jpg
60KB, 612x612px
union ironworker here, building trades are definitely worth it

there's nothing like driving down the freeway and pointing out all the projects you worked on.

just work safe, the iron bites hard
>>
File: 1488494977586.png (214KB, 465x531px) Image search: [Google]
1488494977586.png
214KB, 465x531px
>>1152221
Holy shit dude what happened to your cock?!
>>
>>1152210
I'm open to pretty much anything right now, shoot
>>
>>1152571

Not him but, investigate dockwork, landscaping, forestry, engineering on a ship, factories and assembly plants often request Mechanical Engineers and electrical engineers, but in those cases mechanical engineers are just machine mechanics in my opinion.

The smaller the company the more various skills they'd look for, the larger the company, proficiency in your main skill they'd look for.

I studied mecheng in England, it's a heavily saturated field that really doesn't open up as many doors as electrical or civil.

I got my degree 6 months after recession hit and did a small drop of pleb work for one and a half years before moving back to the third world. Interestingly the day before I moved back I got a reply from a company saying I got a job with a team erecting high voltage towers. I nearly cancelled my plans because that is probably the biggest step up I had gotten my whole life but by that point I hated England. I didn't even really like it to begin with.

Since coming back I immediately started managing a CCTV installation team, moved onto managing maintenance in a hotel, then again to starting a landscaping business. Working for myself is the most lucrative when I have work but finding work is hard as I am really adverse to sucking dick to get a job.

I have applied electrical and civil skills to a greater degree and frequency than my mechanical skills. I can't say I regret where I am but if I could change anything it would be my Mecheng paperweight.
>>
Any GCs here?

Any of ya give online bids?
How did y'all make contacts with them big companies? (Ellisdon/Eastern)
>>
>>1152571
field service and project management.

Granite Services is a subsidiary of GE, and they are always looking for field engineers for turbine work. they grind nigga's up and spit them out. its a rough life.

San Juan Construction is another one. you will live in a fuckin' air conditioned box (literally) on an atoll in the middle of the pacific for a year. i don't need to say anymore about that.

also, Monsanto.
>>
>>1144761

>be me
>be union electrical apprentice
>laid off december 17th
>collect unemployment, $270/week
>hired again march 8th
>work four 10 hour shifts/week
>anything after 8 a day is time and a half
>laid off today

and it's not because i'm a shit worker, everyone else got laid off this past friday.

about 30 guys were hired off the out of work book because the contractor bit off more than they could chew.

now 30 guys go to the back of the line for another job.

i'm thankful the apprentice book is under 100, whereas the jw book is probably around 300.

take what you can from my story anon
>>
I remember my dad working for the electrical union down here in SoCal. Boy was racking $160k+ working in the power plants.
Took a toll on is body though.
>>
>>1147403
Im going to be taking an HVAC program next year, any advice before i start?
>>
>>1151108
Im a Journeyman welder, and apprentice electrician, im waiting for a Combo Electrician welder job to show up on my local job board, and ill be making 47.18$/h welding unistrut and pulling wire. hahahah, im 23 and making more than most University Grads at 30
>>
>>1144788
Jesus fuck, i made 12 an hour surveying, but I was just the instrument/rod man.

In the ass swamps of Florida no less.
>>
>>1153077
what toll?? Smoke inhalation or being around concentrated electrical equipment?
>>
>>1145194
what exactly do u do tho?
>>
>>1147426
Not too sure yet, but Im leaning towards electrical engineering or physics. I have lots of hands on designing control systems for the systems I install and want to design or work on more complex systems.
>>
>>1153113
Where are you located? My advice would be to learn as much as you can involving troubleshooting and controls. So many "Journeyman" in my area cant diagnose shit since they worked a really repetitive apprenticeship.

Also check all of the local refrigeration/hvac suppliers constantly. Sometimes there is a website but lots of these places will have specific training available, usually free and with lunch/dinner served as well. These are very valuable knowledge sharing hubs. Also job postings will be there.
>>
Similar story to the previous anons. Graduated with a fucking biology degree because it seemed somewhat technical but wasn't academically rigorous. I was lucky, got a job working for an environmental consulting firm spraying invasive weeds. 3 years after graduating I'm only making $32k/year. I'm never going to make it at this rate. Anyone know of any decent blue collar careers I could get into with some GIS/forestry background?
>>
>become structural iron worker in NYC
>make 120 an hour as journey man
>work with psychopaths all day
>drink whiskey and snort cocaine
>views pretty good though
>>
>>1144761
Yes. I started at 30 after shifting from office jobs to IT. Looking back, I really wish I started plumbing right out of high school. Good money, fixing real shit builds confidence, and being handy stays with you for life even if you end up hating it and want to switch careers later.

Plus trade school is cheap as balls. I went in knowing NOTHING about handy shit. I was a skinny computer nerd.
>>
>>1153113
Learn to sell or be ready to run 9-10 calls a day working for hourly wage. If you are not upselling your own shit you are not making any money if you are commission based. Depending on who you work for you will be a slave. Don't get taken advantage of which will more than likely happen being green. Don't expect to make shit the first 3-4 years and be ready to suck a lot of dick. Just left the hvac field a couple weeks ago. I decided to fall for the degree meme. Feels amazing not being chained to a phone and getting yanked left and right to make calls.
>>
>>1154417
I'd like to somehow transfer from welder to ironworker but I don't know if that would be worth it.
Climbing stuff sounds fun.
>>
>>1154424
>Trade school is cheap as balls.
Trade school graduates are like the mexicans at the gas station trying to mow your lawn.
>>
File: 1446230955635.jpg (18KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1446230955635.jpg
18KB, 250x250px
>>1144761
Who /carpentry/ here?
>>
>>1154658
God I cant wait to be free from the phone
>>
>>1154424
are you me from the future
>>
im doing CS where i live, after i graduate next spring i'm planning on learning german for a year then go to germany, i'm kinda interested in robotics and machinery but i'm not that into mechanical engineering cuz well i didn't get accepted. welding also seems like a good thing to have. german cuz the education there is free should i get accepted into masters degree. but i'm not interested in making software that takes years to make and you barely get paid, was interested in the game dev thing but i thought i'd do it on the side on my own, i'm more interested in making large equipment. what do you guys think? learn how to weld and then go and hit the road?
>>
>>1144761
Compared to what? Being a nigger? A frycook? A chemist?
>>
30 y/o college "educated" dude making $30/hr doing data entry and feel like I'm in time out and dying to actually work and make something with my hands.

Do I still have a chance in hell in breaking into something?
>>
a vocational course is 100% worth it, im only 19 but i work in residential demolitions.
i only work 8 months a year with jobs paying me $29/hr min
and all of this because i decided to take a carpentry voc to get out of classes in high school
>>
Okay, what are the best/most niche trades to get into if you wanna make some serious dosh??
>>
>>1144761
>weak skinny computer dude
>18 yo cart pusher for Sam's club
what trade should i do
carpentry sounds cool and useful but i don't think i have the bronze
mechanics and/or welding sounds cool and ive always wanted to work on roller coasters so i may go with that
also i would like to know how to fix things so i don't have to pay someone who's just gonna jew me over
one of my uncles is in carpentry and another in concrete if that helps
>>
>>1155040
All it takes is 2 years to learn a trade anon, anyone can do it
>>
>>1155287
Mechanics is preferable for general learning and saves you mad money on vehicles and vehicle maintenance so it will pay for the training quickly.

Welding goes with everything.
>>
I used to work at a motorsports shop and wore a lot of hats there, I was some kind of combination of shop manager, sales/marketing guy, and fab assistant, with a bit of wrench turning when necessary.

Working there got me really interested in fabrication and particularly in machining, and I'm thinking about switching careers into something along those lines. Being a machinist seems like it could be pretty comfy, especially if it's doing cool small-run stuff like prototyping or toolroom work or something.
>>
I've been putting a bunch of work into a fixer upper house and there's not a single project I've done that was comfortable or mentally stimulating. The best it gets is something that lets you work with a lot of power tools because those are kinda fun. But in general my office job pays more, is more interesting, and I'm not sore at the end of the day.
>>
>>1152534
Nothing thank god. Pretty sire thats my foot from a bottom angle
>>
>>1156081
> Pretty sire
do you mean to tell me you don't know where you got a bunch of nails stuck in you?
>>
>>1153571
He is getting old, so waking up early as shit driving to and from work was fucking with his body
>>
>>1144761
making 120-130k doing HVAC. still probably working less hours than most of my office buddies. just dont work in a shit trade and find a good company.
>>
File: 1491317272625.jpg (111KB, 584x852px) Image search: [Google]
1491317272625.jpg
111KB, 584x852px
Yo dudes, how do I get into non destructive testing, seems really interesting. Any schools?
>>
My fiancé has a 48% curvature in his spine, but is a work with your hands and do it right the first time kind of guy, is there a single trade job out there that won't destroy him? He's also interested in business could you start a trade business without having worked a trade job? If so, how would he go about that?
>>
>>1156926
Fuck. That sucks. Not that i cam think of unless he has really good bros to trust to pretty much run it while he fucks off in the home office.

I have operated a rock crushing plant. He could do that at a mine or quarry. It sucks major dick. Sit there and push buttons all day. And reliable for any fuckup that happens. But pretty much 0 physical labor.

Can diapatch if he wants to be the town babysitter for the cops. That also sucks ass. Or for trucking company.

Can be a foreman or boss if he can manage employees and their bullshit.

Not sure. I got crippled 7 years ago amd run equipment as the best trades job i can handle. But it fucking kills your back.

Good luck to yall
>>
>>1156097
Yeah. Tulsa tech or tcu spams the radio 499 times a day. Seems easy af.
>>
>>1156096
This. Best and worst jobs of my life. Rock quarry. 2 companies.

And i have had like 30 fucking jobs.
>>
>>1156085
Topkek.

>what are screws and a metal plate.

The angle i mean. I will never forget one of the worst things to happen to me. Fell out a roof building a church.

A mentally retarded cuck put a knee in my dad so i had him bolt my my foot back together. Pain every day. Pretty sure he fucked it up. Dads knee fell out a week latter.

He was kind of an assholes. Really wanna sue him but im into good karma lately...
>>
>>1155040
>$30/hr doing data entry

How? That's pretty good rate.
>>
>>1155175
Underwater welder. Research the pressure differential deaths, quite interesting.
>>
>>1156926
See a chiro.
>>
>>1144761
One of my best friends from High school is a carpenter. Has been since 18. He makes like $60k a year and sometimes is foreman on jobs. It's been 10 years now and he has no debt, a nice house, paid off car, paid off boat, paid off jetski. I am here in $30k in college meme debt.

If I could do it again, I'd just the air force.
>>
>>1151108
>My house is all EMT
Jesus fucking christ thats retarded, did they union lobby to get this so they would have more work?
>>
File: lol026.gif (788KB, 440x278px) Image search: [Google]
lol026.gif
788KB, 440x278px
>>1151108
>my house is all emt
TOP KEK i thought if doing this in my garage a bit just for the autism but thats hilarious
send me a pic of your panel please jesus
>>
>>1144761
Skilled tradesmen will be the millionaires of the future because these days kids cant even change a light bulb
>>
>>1145238
>Surveyor
these are a dying breed. all getting old and due to retire with not many young surveyors to take their place. depending on your area/local economy, surveyors are in high demand and a 6 figure income is possible
>>
>>1151938
Look at machinist. When I was getting my cert the teacher was a mechanical engineer and he said the main issue engies have when trying to get a job is lack of experience. Machining will give you much of that experience.

>>1144761
Look into becoming a machinist. I got my cert in two years and am about to start as an apprentice at $72/k a year
>>
>>1155040
Dude I'm turning 41 in October and starting as an apprentice machinist in a week and a half. It's never too late
>>
>>1156093
Doing normal things was fucking with his body?
>>
>>1158221
>machinist

lath_accident.jpg
>>
>>1158267
Lack of quality sleep kills you fast.
>>
>>1158276
I've seen so many videos of the shit that can go down. For the most part all you have to be is aware of your surroundings and don't be a knucklehead.
>>
>>1158280
Apparently, that pic was due to fatigue.
>>
>>1158284
OIC
>>
>>1158221
>am about to start as an apprentice at $72/k a year
[doubt]
I know machinists at Boeing that have been there for years that don't make that kind of money.
>>
Any advice for someone in Florida? Just moved back so I don't think I'd be eligible for the free schooling yet. St. Pete if that helps
>>
>>1158300
HVAC.
you can get in with zero experience as a helper, work it a few years, become a lead, and easily make $30/hr within a few years of starting.
It's easy work.
>don't touch live wires
>don't inhale refrigerant
thats pretty much the entire job.
>>
>>1158297
>Boieng
Found their problem
>>
>>1158313
You do realize that Boeing is one of the highest paying companies for trade work, right?
>>
>>1156080
Yap.

Buy you a $200 bostitch nailgun at lows and a fuckton of 3" 28° wire weld 16 guage nails like i just did.

That mutherfucker is exoensive in nails and my comoressor is annoying but its a fun and handy bitch to the point i am considering habing my pro painter bro airbrush skulls and shit on it and hanging it up. Fucking hate to scratch it up tho so i dont know. May just buy a junk twin brother to paint and look at.
>>
I fell for the university meme, didn't put the effort in I should have, majored in something stupid, and the result was what I kinda knew would happen: no job. I started at a trade college last September for a 1 year Steel Fabrication program and it's been much better than I expected. I really thought it'd be a bunch of drooling retards, since those were the only ones who were going to do trades when I was in high school, but it was a real mix, in terms of ages too. I was 26 when I started last fall and there were 4 people older than me in a class of 13, so don't be worried if you're a bit older. The math/theory stuff is a breeze, and getting good at welding is just a matter of time. I've honestly enjoyed the experience so far and would heartily recommend it.

I've always been a weird, NEET type guy who wouldn't mesh with those rough, steel-toed boot wearing kind, but it's not bad. Just have a sense of humour and be serious with your studies and you'll do fine. Having a diploma directly relevant to work in demand is nice, too.
>>
>>1154736
If you don't know anyone on the trades, it's pretty much the only realistic way to get in
>>
>>1152219

I own a janitorial company too. I have done government contracts because I was a dumbass kid and got picked up by the FBI as a teenager. I do commercial work: doctors offices, churches, VCT work, etc. I bill at 75 an hour and pay my employees 15 an hour (which is generous in my area). On my longterm contracts I estimate my billable hours and charge a flat rate per week or per month, depending on what the customer wants.

There's no licensing needed to get started. A propane buffer to do the VCT work costs $500, or 50 dollars a night to rent. The total cost of the supplies to do the cleaning can't be more than 300 dollars. I buy used Kirbys on ebay. They run forever and they agitate the carpet much better than anything you can buy in the store. Other than a vacuum, you just need some Windex, a general purpose cleaner, some spray bottles, toilet brushes, and some microfiber rags.

If you don't want to jump into janitorial work, you can easily get maid work at residences by putting a few hundred door hangers up on am affluent neighborhood.
>>
Is there a good resource for getting into any of these fields online? I've tried googling trade schools, and the like, but I've been having a hard time finding anything that actually helps me.
>>
>>1144812

Do it. I used to be a really nice, wholesome kid. Now i'm a 29 year old asshole. They will mold you into who you need to be.
>>
>>1157989
I know what you mean. I completed an apprenticeship as a Light Bulb Changeman and now I'm making 75k inspecting and replacing burnt out light bulbs.
>>
>>1158267
what this anon said:
>>1158278
>>
File: 1491759688219.jpg (43KB, 1200x784px) Image search: [Google]
1491759688219.jpg
43KB, 1200x784px
>>1160244
This is the problem with most trades, it hard for younger people, teens, to get into them. Just look around online, find your local union, even look for companies that do apprenticeships.
>>
>>1157006
didn't look like screws because lack of screwing
>>
>>1160310
World's fastest apprenticeship detected.

>Boss, that lightbulb looks burnt out.
>Well goddamn son, change it!
>Apprenticeship completed.

Where do I sign up?
>>
>>1145194
What do you do???!!!?!?!???
>>
>>1161635
He's probably one of those South Dakota bastards.
>>
Early this month I applied for an IBEW apprenticeship, how long will it be until they get back to me? Also near me there is an HVAC school. Should I wait out for the electrician apprenticeship (possibly 2 year waiting list) or should I go to the HVAC school? I am about to finish my 2nd semester of college, and would like to enter the world of trades. I need some guidance here, tradesmen.
>>
>>1162898
HVAC is good if the areas NEEDS it (deep south, or way north)
>>
>>1162902
Thanks, I'm in Southeast Michigan so we get a good blend of ridiculously hot and cold. Plan on moving out east later in life (Maryland, DC area). Would HVAC be a reasonable profession out there?
>>
>>1162905
No idea, in the south, if you own the HVAC company you are filthy rich.
>>
>made this thread forever ago
>was going to make a similar thread
>come back
>it's still alive

jesus
>>
>>1160919
>>1160244
That's my problem, there is nothing online or all I can find is a phone number, hardly any details, etc.

Should I just call and ask? I don't want to look like a retard.
>>
>>1162921
bruh, just go on craigslist, go to jobs, click on "skilled / trades" and search for "trainee", "entry level" "no experience"

Thats exactly how I got in to trade work.
If you have spare cash and want to get into HVAC, find your local electrical training facility for a low voltage license and get that, and then get your EPA 608 license.
if you have both of those things, most HVAC shops will hire you.
But beware, April in most states is considered the "shoulder" month, which means no one really needs A/C or heating because its 60-ish degrees outside, so you might have to tell them you're willing to start right before summer or mid-May-ish
>>
>>1158313
>>1158319
>>1158297

Today was my first day. Starts @ $72k/year and I get a raise after 6 months and then another raise a year after that for 3 years. I will cap out at about $91k/year before I move on to Journeyman. It's for DWP, keep doubting tho, makes no difference to me.
>>
>>1162935
There's not shit where I live and it seems like from everything I read going through a union is the correct move.

I just can't find any info about apprenticeship online
>>
>>1160244
This guy, back again.

>>1160919
>>1162921
>>1163419
Here's what I figured out so far.

You need to get hired by a contractor as a helper, who then gives you a letter of sponsorship you can bring to your local union branch office, with your I.D. and High School Diploma/G.E.D., where after you will be given a drug test and basic math test, before being put into the as an Apprentice, until you learn enough that you can upgrade to Journeyman, and so on.

So, here's what you do:

Google: Laborers Union [Your City], from there you should be able to find your local branch. It will say something like: Local 1903. Click on their website, and there should be a portion on their that says "Training" and another that says "Apprenticeship". Click on both, and find any contact numbers. They should be for Training Centers, Apprenticeship Programs/Directors, and call them all, you will most likely get their secretaries.

Tell the secretaries you want to get into an Apprenticeship Program, and you would like either a list of contractors (unlikely, since they only give that to Union Members) or a website you can use to find contractors. You could google local contractors in your area, but doing it this way will most likely lead you to a union approved database with a list of everything you're looking for.

From here you can get to a search area where you will have to work your way through different categories, from A to Z, often with sub-categories thrown in. (Don't worry, there's a lot of overlap once you really start combing through it)

From here, your going to be looking for contractors who do work in whatever area you want to work in. Personally, I'm looking for one as close to home with as little traveling as possible, but if you don't give a shit about that do whatever you want.
>>
>>1163483
Cont'd

Now, you're going to have to call each one up individually and say:

"Hi, I have a question for you. My name is Anon, I am currently seeking employment in order to get a letter of sponsorship to get into an Apprenticeship Program, and then the Union. I was wondering if I could apply to do that through you guys?"

They will either say yes, come in and apply, or do it online at this web address, or no, they aren't in the Union, or are Not Hiring at the moment because too many of their guys that are already in the Union are laid off, so they don't need any newbies.

From here, you find the job, get the letter go to the Union, pass the tests, get put on the roster, and then start getting paid. Every six months you get a raise until you're up to Journeyman's salary, at which point you take a test to get certified and then, boom. You made it, kid.

During the off time when you get unemployment, you have to do some classes every so often until you hit journeyman, after which you have to do some continuing education every so often. For Carpenter's it's 144 hours a year, split into two day a week classes, I assume during the off season. At least here in MN.

Once you've been a Journeyman for a few years, obviously you can move up to Master [insert job title here] and then you can open your own company if you want, or move up to the highest pay grade available, or both.

Someone should throw this shit up in the sticky.
>>
>>1163488
Also, trades are pretty good at the moment, but like others have said, they've been dwindling because not only does everyone want a computer job, or at least one where they don't have to get their hands dirty, so most people aren't interested in going into the trades. At some point in the not too future, they will start becoming high in demand and that means the salary will probably start rising.

Get in while the getting's good, get some experience under your belt, and start stacking money in the bank.
>>
>>1157152
d e l t a p s c e n a r i o
>>
>>1162898
It takes a while. I'm going through my local chapter now. I took my test and passed, and in about 2 months I have my interview, and them I get ranked and put on the list. I'm on thr list until my number is called for an apprenticeship.

It depends on how busy your local chapter is. In the meantime, I'm working as a CW with the union.

It gets you out in the field, I'm learning shit and getting paid to do it. And from what I hear so long as you fill out the work cards it looks great on the interview. I'd say check out if your IBEW chapter has a CW program while your apprenticeship is pending
>>
>>1163483
I can find a laborers union near my city but it doesn't seem to be associated with another union there that actually offers training/does apprenticeship programs.

I guess I should just call place that does apprenticeships and ask about them and then go from there.

I just don't want to look like a retard.
>>
>>1163581
Just do it, chances are you won't have to tell them your name, as that's not important at all at this step. Plus, even if you did, they likely won't remember you, not to mention you're most likely just going to be talking to a secretary anyways.

Besides, even if you did make a fool of yourself, it's literally the only way to do it. It's like making fun of a baby for not popping out of it's Mom's snatch fully dressed, ready to dance a waltz.
>>
>>1163915
Is there a reason it's annoying to get into, or at least not online like most other things are? Are they guys all older or ???
>>
Depends, I was framing until I had gotten a viral infection that had attacked my heart. Miss the money.
>>
>>1164070
That, plus it's a really good job so it's notnmeant to be easy. Plus, it's like a secret brotherhood of guys, they want to pass it in to their friends and family, not just leave it open to any Tom, Dick, or Harry. You can be an outsider and get in, because realistically they don't have enough people to do it any other way, but they don't want it to be too accessible. Back in the day they fought hard to get all of their rights and benefits, and there were many infiltrators trying to turn them against each other and break the union, which is what started the whole secret fraternity thing. Add to that the fact that they want to know you're somewhat smart, and dedicated to wanting the job, and it starts to make some sense that they want you to jump through hoops to get in, I feel like I've seen jokes about it before.
>>
>>1160310
>Light Bulb Changeman
TOP FUCKING KEK
>>
I live in toronto, whats a good paying and interesting trade that doesn't involve climbing high things?
>>
Its good for working towards something else, got a electronics techinician certificate and have been working for lottery commission fixing slot machines. Job easily paid for college and am currently working towards avionics technician certificate.
>>
File: IMG_6840.jpg (25KB, 300x207px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6840.jpg
25KB, 300x207px
Union Laborer here, yeah its worth it.
Were bottom of the pay scale but we get a little bit over 29/hour.
Im in California and make good money because its sunny 90% of the year.
The benefits are good too. Having good health insurance is a good feeling.
Plus after 25 years we can retire.
Spend most of that time learning new skills, do side jobs, hell even go back to school part time so that you have a way of bringing in some cash after you retire. Kinda want to get into construction management.
If i can get some good years in ill be able to retire by age 48-50, im 27.
>>
File: 50639218_s.jpg (27KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
50639218_s.jpg
27KB, 450x300px
Any lockbros here? I'm in training to be a Locksmith at the moment, but honestly it's looking like I'll mostly be pretty lonely unless I take on apprentices someday. Other lockies seem to be antisocial shits because they are conditioned to see you as competition, and other trades seem to hate you because you turn up, do around ten minutes of work, and then fuck off with a payday and your joints and back intact.
>>
>>1165426

>I_Walk_A_Lonely_Road.png
>>
>>1164510
Not climbing high things. Good for u anon. An 8 foot roof crippled me
>>
>>1164402
He doesnt climb 3 cel towers ina rain
>>
>>1164144
Ducked man. Sucks. I have done some light framing. Got a bostitch framing gun. 3" nails 28 degree wire weld. Is it good?
>>
>>1163489
No shit.

Look anons. As a long time trade slave who associates with other tradies i have to say long story short. Its easy money if you arent a lazy cuck. If you are bagging groceries and tired of lazy co workers. Go a trade. If you are working for a builder and just ckeanibg up after the framers and insukation and siding and rooging guys, just go a trade. Its fucking easy. The schools themselves are full of luke minded blue collars. U make okay money after. U can always go another trade later.

This is not shit u want to be doing at 70. This is not shot u wanna do if you cant stay out of the strip club. This is not shit u wanna do if u have a wife and kids that dont wanna live al over the coubtry in an expensive camper.

This is perfect if you just want to work for a living and make a good wage and retire early.

If you are young and single and wanna travel and not affraid of welding in knee deep watter or oatching conveyer belts in the rain then go for it. If this seems like hell then stay in school and fall for STEM.
>>
>>1163220
91k. 2.5 times what i make right now and i do alright.

Actually have working class rich family that are engineers for boeing
>>
>>1162935
Smaller rural places and pipelines. "Operator" hey yall i wanna jumo in equipment. Ok anon. 6 years latter i can operate anything well enough to know it takes a lifetime to do properly but i am good enough to not kill anyone.

Kinda like pro ball. Any retard kid can score a touchdoen but it takes decades to go pro
>>
>>1160919
Like anything else. Start at the bottom hauling bricks or tile and show some interest and initiative.

"You guys wanna finish this floor or finish it tomorrow?"

Everyone stares at the ground.

Be the guy that is beat tired and says we may as well go ahead and get it done so we can start the next one.

Working 14 hours in litteral kneepads sucks proverbial dicks. But getting respect of a tile pro gets u free tile lessons
>>
>>1160309
Top fucking kek i went from the nicest kid. Give u the shirt off my bacl and bullied daily to a hateful prick troll. All i do is start shit online and fight anyone who tries shit at the bar.

Trades made me a dick
>>
File: 1450525941650.jpg (19KB, 373x433px) Image search: [Google]
1450525941650.jpg
19KB, 373x433px
What do you need to go self employed as a carpenter?
I'm 18 and starting my apprenticeship in September, don't want to be on slave pay for longer than I need to be
>>
>>1165541
build a picture portfolio and get a website. the thing thats wrong with most carpenters nowadays is they are all computer illiterate greybeards.

make some nice shit, take pictures of it, put it on a website for people to see, and then spam links to your site on craigslist or something. word of mouth, business cards, etc.
>>
>>1158276
more like
>robot_replacement.jpg
>>
>>1165426
>antisocial shits
>you turn up, do around ten minutes of work, and then fuck off with a payday and your joints and back intact.
Sounds like the perfect job for me.
I'll actually look into it.
>>
>>1165454
Right now it's more than 3 times what I was making 2 years ago. Was making $10/hour at Starbucks while going to Los Angeles Trade Technical College to get my Machinist certification. I'd definitely suggest getting into the trades to anyone willing to put in the work & not opposed to working with your hands. Best decision I've made in life so far.
>>
File: 1492172598811.jpg (183KB, 1262x854px) Image search: [Google]
1492172598811.jpg
183KB, 1262x854px
Need some advice lads, stone mason or carpenter? (I'm in the UK)
I'd prefer them over installations like plumbing and electrics.

I eventually want to have my own business focusing more on the craft/joinery, or work in heritage/conservation (UK & France) & do some side jobs.

My ultimate goal, many years from now is to be able to buy pre-1919 buildings (they're cheap-ish in France) and have the skillet to renovate them myself. My brother in laws have plumbing/spark covered.

Alternatively, I'm going to start a eco-mobile home business where I sell cucksheds to millennials (they'll have solar panels on them making them environmentally friendly) because the UK housing market isn't getting better any time soon.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170413-100151.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170413-100151.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>1165662
Same here man. Baby loader in pic related.

I cant hardly walk but i can still make an okay living.

Hell ive seen a modified hoe that a dude in a wheelchair runs.
>>
>>1165541
Highly suggest trim carpenter. Easy af and light duty. Pay is good
>>
>>1144761
Yes but do your research. See what the pay is and what the job market is like for each trade in the area you want to work.

I do commercial HVAC in Toronto and will probably make around $120k this year. And if you want to do your own thing you can just change residential furances and AC here and there to get by comfortably.
>>
>>1165456
Well the thing is I don't want to just go work manual labor and hope that it works out/someone notices/likes me/ whatever

I don't want to just jump into that shit with no plan other than "lol hope im not wasting my time"
>>
>>1165771
Stone masons are less common than carpenters and will always have high end work.
>>
>>1166392
You wont be if you arent affraid to work or change jobs. Most tile crews are small and after about 1-2 years laying tile you could freelance. Ive done maybe a dozen floors and assuming they are level or i have a contractor ro babyset me laying concrete board i can tackle 90% of normal jobs.
>>
>>1166392
And the labor surprisingly isnt horrible. All kneepad jokes aside get quality ones that swivel. Most of the work is getting up and down 400 times cutting for walls and shit. I would say if you arent a fat like me or have a bad vack its one of the "easiest" trades.
>>
>>1144761
bump because why not
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.