[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about saunas!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: 1487543064687.jpg (519KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
1487543064687.jpg
519KB, 1296x968px
As I'm watching snow fall like dandruff off a fat guy's head, I'm thinking how wonderful a hot, steamy sauna would feel. This triggers the DIY part of my brain.

Anyone ever built a sauna?
>>
>Anyone ever built a sauna?

nah man saunas are a myth made up by the scandinavians.

get the fuck outta here with this clickbait bullshit
>>
Pretty sure a sauna is just water and hot coals in an insulated shed.
>>
I've been trying to figure out how to build one on my land. My father built one on the corner of an old concrete foundation for a barn, and just walled the other two sides off. I'm thinking a raised deck on some footers, but I don't know know what id make the deck out of to keep it insulated/water proof
>>
i want to build an infrared sauna for my dad, since the doctor said it'd be good for his heart condition

there's really nowhere to put it though
>>
>>1144717
Nope. Fuckin get on it. Bonus points for running a hose to a shitty old cast irom tub for hillbilly hot tub.
>>
File: normal_Saunojat_vv.jpg (83KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
normal_Saunojat_vv.jpg
83KB, 900x600px
>>1144816
>>1144860
>Pretty sure a sauna is just water and hot coals in an insulated shed.
>i want to build an infrared sauna for my dad, since the doctor said it'd be good for his heart condition

This triggers the finn.jpg

also

>infrared sauna

https://saunologia.fi/in-english/
https://finland.fi/life-society/experiencing-the-finnish-sauna-2/
>>
>>1144717
Yes. My own sauna plus helped friends with building in exchange for the first leil and beer. What type of sauna are you interested in building?

>>1144764
>made up by the scandinavians.
Scandis don't know shit about sauna.
>>
File: 000.jpg (586KB, 1491x961px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
586KB, 1491x961px
A garage becomes the sauna in the summer.
>>
>infrared sauna
literally kill yourself

>electric sauna
shit tier but i guess it's okay if it's an emergency or you're a neanderthal

>normal authentic sauna you heat up with logs like a human being
yes
>>
>>1144717
>>1144717
About the wood case I dunno.

You could get some hot water by placing some rock on an electric bbc and control the temperature by using link related 5$ device: https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/s/item/32580759050.html

You can also find the outlet version on amazon for 10$
>>
File: 20170308_133647.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_133647.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Im currently building one. Woodstove ofc.
>>
>>1145623
What do you use to insulate the box?
>>
>>1145630
Insulation called glava. 120mm thick
>>
>>1145632
How do you keep the heat in and the carbon monoxide out?
>>
>>1145634
You insulate.. carbon builds no more then in any small room. Also small vents. 1 low near floor for the stove and 1 high up on the opposite wall from the low one.
>>
>>1145634
Not that anon, but the way we build saunas here is you leave a couple cm slit under the heatenings room door and at the opposite end of the room you create a duct that leads out. There's always fresh air inside the room and the heat stays in. Also, I've never ever heard anyone even remotely worried about carbon monoxide. It's a non-issue even if the furnace opening is inside the heatenings room (which it regularly is not, it's behind the wall in another room).
>>
>>1145634
You need dedicated stoves for the purpose. You need to measure the m3 and choose a stove from that.
>>
File: IMG_20170228_094337.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170228_094337.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1145223
Oh you, we finns invented the damn thing
>>
>>1145811
I don't think so, Pekka.

t. Latvian

To anyone building a sauna - make sure there are no nails or screwheads exposed in the interior. Bitch to touch with bare flesh at 80C
>>
>>1145811
>we finns invented the damn thing
here's a royal go fuck yourself by estonia ;)
>>
>>1145859
Why are baltic countries so damn sour today?
T. New to this thread
>>
>>1145885
>we finns invented the damn thing
come the fuck on, you know sauna was invented by our common ancestor who walked on all fours

come to think about it: why haven't finns innovated sauna culture at all while estonians and latvians have invented smoke sauna and russians have their own thing going with their banya? all the while you've been literally doing nothing, but spamming the "we wuz sauna kangz" meme
>>
>>1145886
I wasn't the Finn though, I just thought it was a little strange that people were getting so hotheaded about the topic. By the way, please explain to a German immigrant in the US what smoke sauna is. I am genuinely interested and don't have a tonne of experience with sauna culture in general.
>>
>>1145901
well, it's a type of sauna where the heating element is not connected to a chimney via a duct which carries out the smoke from burnt wood. the smoke instead rises into the room through the stones. it takes a long time to heat it up and the furnace is a lot bigger than in a regular sauna. also there's a lot more stones since all the heat has to be stored in them once you enter the smoke sauna. what typically happens is you have a shaft where you let out the smoke prior to entering. once in, it's as is. there's no additional heat generated by a fire. traditionally, it's also used to smoke meat and stuff. it's more common in southern estonia than in the north where we have basically the same sauna type as finnish people do
>>
Saunas seem to be common around the vodka belt of eurasia. Also the native Americans built some (shit) saunas. Finns, balts and slavs seem to be in the sauna know, swedes and Norwegians know shit about saunas. They think a sauna is a mildly warm dry room where you sit close to the floor and suffer. A good sauna is a room that has a wooden stove filled with rocks. You heat the rocks and sit close to the ceiling in the room and throw water on the rocks and voilà, pleasantness arrives.
Points to remember.
-Amount of mass in the rocks. More is better. You get a smooth and lingering löyly instead of a hot and stinging blast of steam. Don't listen to the fuck heads that complain about electric saunas. It's just that electricity can't give out the wattage to heat a big pile of rocks nicely. Instead it heats a small amount of rocks too lunch = bad löyly. A properly designed electric sauna needs watts. Lots of rocks. Profit.
-Ventilation is needed. If you feel like you are put of breath the ventilation is shit. Increase.
-Build it close to water. The cycle goes sauna-swim-sauna-etc. Very pleasant. If you need to make a hole in the ice during winter use a chainsaw without chain oil. It floats and isn't therefore cool. It might stick on you. Making anything by hand is gay and should be avoided. Put a ladder in the hole in the ice. It suck to be stuck in the freezing water.
-A sauna is not a erotic place. Ever tried to fuck in 80°C? It sucks. A sauna is for relaxation and cleanliness.

A smoke sauna is a sauna without a chimney. It's a poor man's sauna, not very common these days. Instead of having a continuous controlled fire under the rocks you pile a huge amount of rocks over a fire and burn it a long enough time to heat all the rocks. The smoke goes out from small holes close to the ceiling. When the fire is out you clog the holes and enjoy like any other sauna. Because you have a large mass of relatively cool (sauna cool) rock you get an extremely mellow löyly.
>>
>>1145916
Continued.
Smoke saunas are also clean because smoke kills germs. Also all the carcinogens that build up in the sauna keep it quite, if not sterile, at least low on bacteria and other pathogens. People used to give birth in saunas because they were an easy place to keep clean. All of you who have kids know that birth is rough.

Everyone in a house have a sauna over here. It's considered being freakish to not have one. Some people have a summer house and no sauna. Those people are rare and frowned upon. And with a reason.
>>
File: maakivi.jpg (442KB, 897x520px) Image search: [Google]
maakivi.jpg
442KB, 897x520px
>>1145916
it's also worth mentioning that the type of rock and how you layer it on the furnace is quite important.

you can't just throw a bunch of fucking random rocks on it in random order and call it a good keris. you have to select the durable rock that will not shit up your keris by breaking into dust once you take a good leil,löyly and you can't just layer them such that the water will not evaporate but sizzle between the rocks

size and shape have to be considered for the individual piece of craftsmanship that is the proper sauna oven
>>
File: IMG-20170228-WA0043.jpg (36KB, 720x517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170228-WA0043.jpg
36KB, 720x517px
>>1145886
Excuse me? Finns pretty much used to live in smoke sauna's. Most likely it is common ancestry that makes them common in Baltic countries and Finland.
>>
>>1145901
Because it's a hot topic.

Badum-tish.

Seriously though, stayed with a Finn and realized our modern sauna traditions are pretty much 1:1.

T. Latvian
>>
>>1146152
I've noticed during my travels that Latvians sometimes also use oak branches combined with birch branches when taking a sauna.
>>
>>1146390
Oh, yes indeed. Birch is top dog, but oak does make an appearance. Some absolute madmen even use juniper.
>>
Finn and Russian went to sauna. Russian died. True story.
>>
>>1144717
Everyone outside scandinavia: "Nah, bro, they're a myth"
Everyone outside Finland: "Uhh.... sure I did. yes. All the time."
All Finns: "Yes. What are you, stupid?"
>>
>>1145886
>come the fuck on, you know sauna was invented by our common ancestor who walked on all fours
Why would negros need a sauna when africa is hot as fuck?
>>
>>1144764
>Scandinavians
triggered
>>
>>1145811
>finns
>Scandinavian
gb2sweden sven
>>
>>1145846
>>1145859
>both know full well Finland invented sauna
>try to both pretend they did anyway
how is it to be autistic?
>>
>>1147850
sauna was invented by mongol tribes in the early stone age in inner asia. from there sauna tradition spread as far as japan, korea and over the bering straight to north america. you can't invent shit that already exists anon. or maybe finns can because literally übermensch.
>>
For me at least, a sauna is about punishing my body for having the audacity to feel pain and discomfort.
>>
>>1145886
Sauna is already perfect as it is. I don't know what you're on about.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.