[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chinese AC/DC power adapters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: 1473076235638.jpg (205KB, 1313x743px) Image search: [Google]
1473076235638.jpg
205KB, 1313x743px
I need an AC to DC 5V 2A power adapter with a 3.5 x 1.35mm plug for a USB hub.

Found one on Ebay from China that's $3. Pic related. ~900 sold on ebay alone.

Will this shit kill me? Do I have any alternatives?
>>
>>1144267
>Will this shit kill me?
That could kill you dead in any number of ways.
>Do I have any alternatives?
Sure, buy one not made in China...
Shit.
>>
>>1144267
It's a cheaply made one, hazardously cheap. It will work though.

Try amazon, it's the same shit but they actually try to get good customer reviews.
>>
>>1144267
I hope you dont need that in a hurry, because I doubt Shenzen is less than a day away. Tells you there, you should have it by May 10th tho.

goto a local store, get a multi-volt selectable adapter, prob pay 2-3 times the price, but, you'll have it quick. It'll still be Made in China tho. And how the fuck you can make, package and ship these fuckers halfway round the world for a couple of bucks - I couldn't fucking post that three streets away for twice the price.

tldr, go local, or learn Zenlike patience (Chinks R always faster than eBay quoted delivery times tho)
>>
>>1144271
>Sure, buy one not made in China...
Everything's fucking made in China. It's impossible to find some piece of cheap electronics not made there.

>>1144272
>Try amazon, it's the same shit but they actually try to get good customer reviews.
I did. They're either $45 or they're exactly the same as this one from eBay but it has a different sticker and is $15 + shipping. Even the description is the same.

The way I see it, by buying from Amazon I'll get it much faster (few days vs 3 weeks wait) but at a significant cost... and the charger will be the exact same thing. I don't wanna pay $45 for a charger... that's $25 more than the USB hub itself.

>>1144275
>goto a local store, get a multi-volt selectable adapter, prob pay 2-3 times the price, but, you'll have it quick. It'll still be Made in China tho. And how the fuck you can make, package and ship these fuckers halfway round the world for a couple of bucks - I couldn't fucking post that three streets away for twice the price.
I've been thinking about that but
I think those start at $50. I looked at the local electronics store.

And yes, it fucking boggles my mind how they are able to sell a full charger for $3. I can't even comprehend who the fuck profits here and how.
>>
>>1144279
>And yes, it fucking boggles my mind how they are able to sell a full charger for $3. I can't even comprehend who the fuck profits here and how.
I'd call that a pretty big clue; some Chinese slave driver gets these things made for bottom dollar and is still turning a buck. The plastic is probably cancerous, and the transformer is actually wet twine wrapped around a nail that miraculously puts out 5v on alternate Tuesdays if the stars are Right.
>>
>>1144267
The problem with cheap power supplies, as I understand it from big clive, is that they use capacitive dropping instead of a transformer to create a low voltage output. This results in voltage that is referenced to mains instead of ground, meaning you could quite easily get a bad shock from them of you become a path to ground. I don't know how common this problem is, but I've seen many, many of his videos where he demonstrated that the ground on a cheap USB power adaptor had 250 volts to ground.

My suggestion would be to test their voltage to ground before using any cheap adaptor. It's probably going to be safe but it's so easily checked that there is no reason not to.
>>
>>1144282
Well, that's not exactly true. I'm a big fan of that big clive's channel on YT and he tears down these chinkshit products. I'm actually amazed how well made most of that shit is.

But his videos also scare the shit out of me because he talks about clearances and separation between AC and DC and how most products don't have them.
>>
>>1144267
you can buy a standard usb to barrel jack adapter, and then use any standard usb wall wart
>>
File: useless_fugs.jpg (98KB, 871x945px) Image search: [Google]
useless_fugs.jpg
98KB, 871x945px
>>1144279
>those start at $50
for the love of christ.. must, shurely, be a 5V 2A PS within hiking range well under that? Pic example, my local (Bong) random worst_example_could_think_of electronics emporium of unwarranted price and incomparable incompetence - and if its only half that by those fucks (£20), it literally cannot be double the price anywhere else, srsly.

(check out the review BTW - was obviously doubling as a 4A in catalog, until such time as complaints overwhelmed. Atypical for any-and-every fucking thing those fuckups mis-sell, Shenzen Shopping be a joy in comparison)
>>
>>1144267
Well, you could pop that hub open and solder a usb cable in place of the barrel jack, then use a phone charger wall wort. you probably have a spare of both.
>>
>>1144300
yeah, but look at the connector. I need a 3.5x1.35mm one (who the fuck came up with these insane sizes?). can't easily find an adapter for that.

>>1144309
>Well, you could pop that hub open and solder a usb cable in place of the barrel jack, then use a phone charger wall wort. you probably have a spare of both.
I do have a box full of old phone chargers but the closest one I fond is 6V and 2A. It also uses a diff barrel jack.

I don't wanna dremmel my nice USB hub and fuck it all up. I use it with my laptop and carry it around. I don't want it to look like shit when ppl are around me.
>>
File: i_cant_reed.jpg (32KB, 288x757px) Image search: [Google]
i_cant_reed.jpg
32KB, 288x757px
>>1144311
>but look at the connector.
which one? there be six of them.
>I need a 3.5x1.35mm
aha, an insurmountable problem..

try your local Goodwill/2nd hand/junkstore/actual junkyard as well, if available - you maybe get lucky, and, as said, still fairly sure a store would be lot cheaper than $50. Or even local online, then 2-3 days, instead of weeks. Or do Muricans only have a vast vacuum where Radioshack used to be nowadays?
>>
I don't understand the question. Is it the same voltage and wattage? If yes then buy it and stop making retarded threads.
>>
>>1144267
Do you even Big Clive? You should.
>>
>>1144319
At Jaycar everything's pretty overpriced, so I don't imagine Radioshack's prices were particularly competitive. Jaycar sells these neat wall adapters for 5,6,9,12,15,24 volts, and from 5W to 25W, with interchangeable ends. $20 to $40. And if it blows up in your face you don't have to try and sue some ghost of a company across an ocean. They also sell unregulated supplies for $17 if you're really desperate. Maybe Jaycar will branch into the US in the re-absence of Radioshack, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
>>
I buy chargers from China all the time. That's where all consumer electronics come from.

I buy universal chargers and discard the extra tips.

I also mark each wall wart with voltage and purpose with a paint marker.
>>
>>1144267
>plastic earth pin on the UK plug
>no fuse

RIP
>>
>>1144267
I got a 12v one to light up some led strips for 4 eurobucks. It's 1A and I use about 0.7A iirc, and it gets warm but not hot enough to melt hotglue. Longest I've had it run is about 6h I think, once it gets warm it doesn't heat up more.

Remember that it's a cheap chink shit, don't leave it plugged and unsupervised. If you have to do that, get a better one.
>>
File: Screen Shot 03-18-17.jpg (821KB, 1668x806px) Image search: [Google]
Screen Shot 03-18-17.jpg
821KB, 1668x806px
>>1146800
>no earth
They're strong black plastic, they don't need no earthing.
>no fuse
What do you expect from chinks?
Pic related is a 12-5v car charger for unprotected 18650 batteries.
>>
File: walmart.png (40KB, 337x284px) Image search: [Google]
walmart.png
40KB, 337x284px
>>1144275
>I couldn't fucking post that three streets away for twice the price

I wondered about that for a while. I found the USPS and China (and some others) have an agreement for ePacket shipping.

http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2010/pr10_058.htm
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.